Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kindle Wireless Reading Device from Amazon
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody bought one of these as was thinking of getting one for my GF for her birthday.

Anybody used one and are they any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LVUWFE

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Ken

Jerome
    Free Member

Buy her an Ipad and stop being tight…..

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thank you……more of looking to save her carrying books with her on the train and a device that has a battery life of 3 weeks which is about 3 weeks more than the Ipad

CountZero

Too big to stick in a pocket for those odd moments when you want something to read to pass the time, like in a cafe, on a coach, in a waiting room. Get an iPod Touch and install the Kindle App, and Stanza and iBooks and 3D Books. The latter comes with a bunch of classic free books and more get added for free all the time. IBooks is a pretty good PDF reader; if you open a PDF file online you get offered the option to open in iBooks and then it appears on a bookshelf in a separate section. I wouldn't be without all those apps on my phone, with the Kindle, you can only buy books from the Kindle store, but there are lots of instances where an author has some ebooks available through, say, Stanza, but others through Kindle or iBooks. I've had exactly that problem, able to get several books by Kathy Reichs, but others through the same supplier are restricted by geographical location. (Not in the US). I've managed to source other books through alternative apps. This geographical restriction is bloody frustrating, especially if you're limited to the single marketplace offered by a reader like the Kindle. iPad give you the same options as the iPhone, obviously, but with much bigger real estate screen-wise.

Jerome
    Free Member

New Ipad owner here.
    Running books app – very impressed and loads of free content.

ken_shields
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Too big to stick in a pocket for those odd moments when you want something to read to pass the time

Not a problem as her handbag is the size of Wales

She does loads of reading on the train on the way to work and already has a 3G Iphone and needs something that has a battery life of longer than a few hours

simon_g

Pre-ordered one when they were announced.

Have been using the Kindle app on the iphone, which is fine for short bursts of reading (like 20 mins on the tube) but rubbish for an hour on the sofa, or a few hours on a flight. Abysmal in sunlight too. e-ink is really like proper printed text on a (slightly grey) paper page.

The nice thing is that it saves place across devices/software, so if you leave the Kindle at home but are waiting for a train, you can read a chapter or two on your phone, then when you pick up the Kindle again it'll jump to where you last got to.

I have a pretty long trip coming up, so having a load of travel guides and plenty of other reading material on something thinner and lighter than a paperback is pretty compelling, especially if I can get wikipedia access and papers or new books over 3G with no data charges.

I'm not sentimental about paperbacks and tend not to hang on to them – they'll get "lent out" on a permanent basis or go to the charity shop. If I can buy Kindle books at below the Amazon discounted paperback price (and that seems to be the case so far) then I'm happy.

Price drop + thinner/smaller/lighter + proper UK Kindle store = win.

paul4stones

This is good. I've put stanza and kindle on a touch and it seems good and I'm thinking that for reading in a tent on holiday will be much more convenient than fumbling about with a torch. However I like to read lying down and I notice you can lock the Kindle so it doesn't flip the screen round. Is it possible to do this with stanza too?

peajay

Ordered my wife one last night, wifi only version, priced so that it won't be a complete disaster if it ends up not being used, but I think it will totaly hit the spot, ok it's not an ipad, but it is a fraction of the price and the display and battery life are spot on,
    PJ.

simon_g

I also figure it's cheap enough that if I can't see myself using it long-term after the trip it won't be a huge hit if I sold it on. And if I did end up buying an iPad (not that I think reading on a backlit display is a good idea) then you can just fire up the kindle app and go on reading.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

ipad battery life is not bad – significantly better than iphone, better than my laptop, but it can't come close to the Kindle's 3 weeks (assuming that's accurate).

I really like my ipad, but I think if I was looking for an e-reader, rather than a tablet pc type device, I'd go for the kindle, as it's lighter, and easier to read in daylight.

big_scot_nanny

For just reading books, it is absolutely brilliant. All the books you could ever want or need on one device. Fast purchasing through your amazon account (I have the older kindle with 3G chip and find it rather handy), very clear text, as good as a book, plus you get a dictionary built in for all those dead difficult words an that.

You of course can also sync all your books with the kindle app for various devices.

My iPad has pretty much replaced the kindle now, as it is so much more flexible, but jsutfor reading books it is second to none. Better than a book unless you have that weird obsession with smelling fusty paper. 🙂

Kev

5lab

just to clarify, you can put pdfs onto a kindle, for free, yourself. There's no limitations there.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks guys….I've ordered a 3g one so now my big concern is ……. is it going to turn up in time for her birthday

Caher

So I presume you could read Singletrack magazine on this device?

simon_g

Theoretically it would as it's just PDF – not sure how well it would get rendered though. Will give it a try when mine arrives.

bruneep

Quieter Page Turn Buttons
    Quieter page turning means you won't disturb your partner when you want to read all night

I like that feature 🙄

simon_g

Anyone had theirs shipped yet?

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Ordered one on 29th July for the missus, and it arrived today.

Cletus

Would be interested in your thoughts about it once you have had time to play with it. I am thinking of getting one and would like to know how well it copes with large PDF (500 page+) files.

-m-
    Free Member

Interesting. Ordered one on 02 Aug – hopefully it will pitch up in the not too distant future.

You have to love all the iPad comments…

SkillWill
    Free Member

I was going to order one for my gf, think it would be good. Only reason I didn't is that the library she uses is now doing e-books but not in a format that Kindle will recognise. The library uses epub (Adobe). I think these can be converted to azw but not sure… It's crappy that there are different standards…

busydog
    Free Member

Been using a Kindle for about 2 months and love it. The 3G download is amazingly fast–book in about 15-20 seconds. I can easily go 3 weeks on a battery charge (reading 1 hour or so each evening)as long as I put it into sleep mode when finished. If you leave the wireless on, the battery doesn't last near as long, but the only reason I turn the wireless on is to download a new book. Haven't tried it for magazines, newspapers. I had put off buying one for a long time and now wish I had done so earlier. One cool feature that I enjoy is if you see a word you don't know the meaning of, just move the cursor to the word and the dictionary meaning pops up at the bottom of the screen.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Kindle Wireless Reading Device from Amazon’ is closed to new replies.