Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Kindle recommendations
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Just been given a Kindle. Can you recommend some books? Have fairly broad tastes. Like adventure(fiction and non fiction), Popular science, Biographies and so on. Not adverse to an engaging novel either.

Anything you can put your seal of approval too?

peterfile
    Free Member

For a book to read over the next 5 years, which will (perhaps) widen your thoughts on many topics….The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

For something light but hugely interesting…..Escobar by Roberto Escobar (brilliant and fresh view into the life of Pablo Escobar).

To get your heart racing…Papillon by Henri Charriere.

Humour, fiction, with a science theme (light reading)…..Solar by Ian McEwan.

A couple of modern classics……American Psycho by Bret Eason Ellis (also try Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe).

One to make you roar with laughter, really funny and fresh bit of writing…….Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart (try to find one good review from an American…you’ll soon find out why, they play to the points made in the novel so well 😉 )

Nick

Working through some classics that I should have read by now. Just read “The Great Gatsby”, very good.

Reading Iris Murdoch – A Severed Head at the moment, promising.

Before that I read A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, that was pretty entertaining too.

Before that I read “The Finkler Question”, ok, very cleverly written, but not a page turner, was glad it was over tbh.

Before that I read “Madame Bovary”, which was good, has stood the test of time.

After The Severed Head I’m going to give Evelyn Waugh’s “Scoop” a go.

Or I might get on and finish “Gravity’s Rainbow”.

Don’t forget http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page for free books.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Just read “The Great Gatsby”, very good.

have a go at ford maddox ford’s ‘the good soldier’.

Nick

Cool, thanks for the tip, free offa http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2775 too 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kindle recommendations’ is closed to new replies.