Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kindle question
  • GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a Kindle for a present and wanted to know if I should get the 3G version and also some pointers on what model to buy and if there are any deals out there at the moment.
    Cheers

stumpyjon

3G is only really useful if you intend to download books away from home. I think the non 3G version is now the new one without the keyboard.

There was a big discussion about this a week or so ago if you can find it. FWIW I have the latest non 3G & keyboard model and am very happy with it. My Wife has the older 3G and keyboard version and is happy with that. Really comes down to money, personally I’m not sure the extra cash is justified by the extra functionality. One of the things I like about the Kindle is that if it gets nicked / smashed / waterlogged on holiday is not a huge amount of money gone compared to say an iPad 2 going for a dip.

BlobOnAStick

Plenty been posted on this already, so do a search 🙂

I have the non-3G one. Never wished for the 3G connection as I always have several books loaded incase I should finish the current one and surfing the interent on it is tedious.

Dolcered

i got the 3g version as a present and use it, not just for downloading books, for browsing on here, checking email etc

Handy when you go away with work and forget your phone charger………like i did.

As a reader both are good. The non 3g one is cheaper.

PJay
    Free Member

The non-3G version has wifi though so there are options for downloading away from home in hotspots etc.

My partner has the non-3G (newer) version and is really happy with it. The older keyboard model has more memory I think.

jamiep
    Free Member

3G is only really useful if you intend to download books away from home.

I disagree with above and agree with below

use it, not just for downloading books, for browsing on here, checking email etc

Handy when you go away with work and forget your phone charger

If you arent gonna do browsing on hols or away from your smartphone then I’d just get the new non-keyboard one

GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

Cheers. i will have a look at past posts

StuF

You can also use some smart phones as a wifi hotspot so no need for the 3g here

molgrips
    Free Member

3G is useful if you want 3G access 🙄

Dolcered

my 3g one has wifi too…..
    my kindle is free where ever i might be, to browse on my smartphone abroad costs a kidney, or thereabouts.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It depends if you think you might want to download books whilst you are on hols. I have the Wi-fi one only and I woudln’t want the 3G one. At present I have over 40 books stacked up ready to read (due to the Kindle Christmas books every day for 99p). As already said lots of places abroad now also do free Wi-fi anyway so then you don’t need the 3G. Plus I wouldn’t use it for surfing the internet.

budgierider67

£79 for the wifi only model at the moment from Tesco together with their £10 off purchases over £75 offer.

avdave2

I have the 3g but that’s because I travel all the time outside the UK so having free internet access however basic is very useful.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got the 3G one with keyboard.

Just liked the idea of the additional access and the keyboard makes searching for books on the kindle much easier.

The other good thing about 3G is that I can keep wifi turned off, which seems to make battery life last x10 longer. Yet I can still one-click order books at work and they are on the kindle when I get home.

Either way, you get the same great reader. It’s like asking whether Saint is worth the money over XT.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kindle question’ is closed to new replies.