Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kindle Paperwhite – anybody got one?
  • RustySpanner

Very happy with mine – none of the reported screen issues, good bit of kit.

Wondering if I can use one of the Apple USB mains chargers, instead of charging via the PC?

Anyone else have one?
    Happy?
    How do you charge yours?

Thanks in advance.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got one.

Happy with it, with one minor niggle – you can’t turn the light off completely; I presumed it would be like a normal kindle, with the option of having the light on, but the software doesn’t allow you to turn it all the way off. If you turn it off with the button on the bottom, you’ll see what ‘off’ would look like for a second or two before the screen saver shows.

Charging wise, I’ve only charged mine once (initial charge at xmas) and that was with a mobile charger I borrowed

Dave

mrsflash
    Free Member

yup, i got one for christmas and have only used a mains charger.

very happy with it.

Rio

I’ve charged mine from a USB port, with a iPhone charger and with an HP 2A USB mains charger; all work ok but the HP charger is fastest and didn’t cause it to explode.

simon_g

Any USB charger is fine.

Tried one, didn’t like the lack of hard page turn buttons, stuck with my old Kindle keyboard model.

johnners
    Free Member

The Paperwhite’s very good, it seems to have noticeably better definition than the KB one I replaced though as alfabus says, the backlight’s always on so that may be part of it. It does mean you can read it in the dark without any other lighting, which is handy. You can charge it from any micro-USB charger, though it needs it so infrequently that charging from a computer isn’t a hassle – I don’t know that I’d have bothered with a charger if I didn’t have several already.

I’m less keen on the touchscreen control, I found the edge buttons more natural to use without moving my hand, having to tap the screen edge doesn’t make ergonomic sense the way I hold mine. The memory’s half the size of the KB model, but would still be enough for hundreds and hundreds of books.

On balance not a quantum leap better than the old one, though I’m pretty pleased with mine.

DaveRambo

I got for for Xmas, as did my wife and daughter and we’re all very happy with them.

We’ve charged from a number of sources, mains USB plug, MacBook, main home PC all fine – as you’d expect.

I also expected the off light setting to really turn it off but it doesn’t, and I wish it did but it’s a minor niggle.
    In general I think the light is good – allows one of us to read in bed if the other wants to sleep, my daughter can read in the car if travelling at night.

I think for kids they are brilliant as they get exposed to a wider range of books than they would normally think about. Being able to get a sample has led my daughter to read a biography that she would never normally have wanted to.

RustySpanner

Ta for the replies – nice to know I can just use the Apple mains USB plug thingy.

I’ve downloaded lots of stuff I’ve not read for years – all the Dickens novels, Chesterton, Hitch- Hikers.
    Love the fact that all the classics are free, wasn’t really expecting that.

Have spent about a tenner so far but have enough to keep me going for ages.
    Freed up a lot of space in the house too.

Must have a look for the Milligan war biographies – not read those in ages either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kindle Paperwhite – anybody got one?’ is closed to new replies.