Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kindle or Kindle Touch
  • MadBillMcMad

We already have the old style Kindle witht he keyboard buttons but the boys are after one as well now.

I definitely do not want the 3G one.

So do I get the Kindle Touch or the more basic Kindle & save £20.00 ?

The better half reckons the more basic one would be better for the lazy one armed reader.

mattk
    Free Member

I have the basic kindle, and it’s great. Buttons are on both sides so there are loads of ways to hold it, the lazy one armed technique being a favourite of mine.

I always thought the kindle touch would get finger marks all over the screen too, not normally a problem. But when im reading in bed with a book light atached it would probably show up the greasy marks.

alaric

I agree with Mattk – I’ve got a touchscreen phone and a Kindle. Whilst I love the phone, when I’m using the Kindle fingerprints would be really annoying and it’s too easy to touch the edge of the screen when reading, so IMO touch would be more annoying than helpful!

unovolo
    Free Member

My mums got the original kindle with the keyboard at the bottom and although the e-ink screen is great ,I cannot get on with the navigation via various buttons.
    My natural instinct is to touch the screen.
    For me I would go for the Kindle touch,however I have just been to the states and Barnes & Noble are doing a e-ink Nook to compete with the Kindle touch which I found better still, and it is supposed to be coming over here.

On a side note if you know anyone who is going to the states the Kindles and Nook are loads cheaper over there,the Kindle touch for example is $99 around £66 to £70.

TiRed

The better half is correct. We have two basic ones after test driving a touch. The keyboard isn’t helpful either, as not much typing is necessary. A superb device, so fit for purpose.

MadBillMcMad

thanks all.

Will put the savings to a case with a light.

molgrips
    Free Member

On a side note if you know anyone who is going to the states the Kindles and Nook are loads cheaper over there,the Kindle touch for example is $99 around £66 to £70

It comes tied in to Amazon US though, and I think you need a US credit card to buy stuff through it, no?

jota180
    Free Member

and I think you need a US credit card to buy stuff through

There’s your mistake, right there 😉

Besides, pretty sure you can de-register them with Amazon and re-register with new details

molgrips
    Free Member

I do read a lot of the free stuff, but I don’t want to wait 75 years to read the latest Iain M Banks. I’ll be 111 myself, so I might not care much about the Culture.

On the other hand, we might end up being just like them, so it might end up having historical interest.

jota180
    Free Member

Ah, you wait till they’re out of copyright

I just swap them around mates etc. the same as paperbacks, very rarely pay hard cash for them

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you swapping kindle books bought from amazon? Cos I’d like to know how to do that.

cheers_drive

Miss CD has a std Kindle and I have a Touch (presents from each other). At first I thought she had wasted money on getting me a Touch but having used both I do think it is an improvement. It makes turning pages even easier. If you are into highlighting and dictioanary look ups that is easier too, as it searching for new books. Also if you are desperate it makes the web browser much more usable when accessing forums (still rubbish for image heavy sites).

molgrips
    Free Member

I hold the kindle near the buttons and only have to slightly shift my thumb to turn pages. How could a touch be any easier?

jota180
    Free Member

Are you swapping kindle books bought from amazon? Cos I’d like to know how to do that.

Try a google search for “amazon drm removal”

phead
    Free Member

Amazon are launching new products *today* , so wait and see what happens first. Most likely a delay till we see them but they may be worth the wait, or force down prices for the older stuff.

cheers_drive

molgrips – Member
    I hold the kindle near the buttons and only have to slightly shift my thumb to turn pages. How could a touch be any easier?

I hold my Kindle about a thid up from the bottom, it would be stretch to hit the buttom on a standard but a flick of the thumb on a touch. Also allows you to move position of you are in a long reading session. Or when I’m on a train or plane I put the table down and prop the touch up. a light touch on the screen turns the page, on the std you have to press the buttons which isnt so easy.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Amazon are holding a press conference later today where they are expected to announce new products possibly including updated kindles.

Might be worth hanging on for a day just to see if anything new catches your eye or if the old stuff gets discounted to make way for the new.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is how I hold mine when reading it. My thumb is over the button.

My kindle and my thumb by molgrips, on Flickr

spacemonkey

I wish the bloody e-ink page updates weren’t so “in yer face”. That’s the one thing that puts me off these devices altogether. Ggghhrhrh.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kindle or Kindle Touch’ is closed to new replies.