Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kindle Fire not playing videos
  • johndoh
    Free Member

My girls both have a Kindle Fire with lots of films on external memory cards and they used to play okay however they now keep getting error messages saying something like ‘you need to be connected to the internet’

Anyone got any idea why this might be?

Cheers

Cougar

Are they DRM protected?

GrahamS

Have you tried any other video player apps? VLC is always a good bet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not that I am aware of – some (not all) are official digital copies of DVDs we own too.

johndoh
    Free Member

Can you get VLC for Amazon tablets?

GrahamS

Mmm.. not sure john.

No experience of them, but I thought the Amazon tablets just ran a modified version of Android? Could well be wrong.

Main point was: try a different video player (if one is available) and see what happens.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah will try that tonight ta

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks for that – installed Avia and all seems to be working as expected (even if it is a bit of a clunky interface, at least it is working).

Ta 🙂

GrahamS

Hmmm odd. Cougar’s theory that the normal player is trying to connect to the internet to check the DRM license seems reasonable (I assume it works if you make the internet connection available?).

Glad you got a workaround at least.

johndoh
    Free Member

(I assume it works if you make the internet connection available?

Yes they work when connected to the local wifi but as soon as we take them out of the house they stop.

I tried it last night using Avia and switched wifi off and they still worked. Thankfully the 7 hour drive with two 7 yr olds may now be relatively peaceful….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kindle Fire not playing videos’ is closed to new replies.