Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kinder Scout this weekend
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Would I be right in thinking that mud tyres and a snorkel would be appropriate?

BadlyWiredDog

Whereabouts do you mean? Kinder’s all technically footpath unless you’re talking Jacob’s and/or the bridleway that runs below Kinder End then down towards the reservoir? In which case Jacob’s is rocky with a bit of gritty mud in a few places and the side bridleway is a mess and worth avoiding.

And you never really need mud tyres in the Dark Peak, just something on the front with knobbly bits and whatever you’re comfortable with on the back.

All imho etc bar the bit about the top of Kinder being footpath…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m not sure of the exact route my mate got it from an MTB guide book. I know that it goes down Jacob’s Ladder at the end back towards Edale.

nomakoman
    Free Member

Was good n firm on tuesday when we were up there, some bits nearer the top were fairly boggy but not too bad.

BadlyWiredDog

Jacob’s is mostly rocky, the only place you might struggle, if you’re doing a classic Jacob’s loop, is the grassy bit along the top of Rushup Edge which is kind of messy, having said that, it was mostly all rideable with Minion DHF on the front and an Ardent on the back, so you should be fine without mud tyres. If your mate’s route drops down off the main track towards Kinder reservoir, it’s a swamp and you’re better off staying on the main track I think.

hora
    Free Member

If you mean the Kinder Circuit 95% is hardpack/rocky on that route.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure this is the route that we are doing. My experience with the Peak is that as long as you are on rock you will be fine but as soon as your on the dirt you have to push/carry the bike.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNQ6qTJT-nM[/video]

BadlyWiredDog

My experience with the Peak is that as long as you are on rock you will be fine but as soon as your on the dirt you have to push/carry the bike.

Bottom line is that on that route and generally in the Dark Peak you’ll be fine with normal knobblies. No need for mud tyres. It’s different further south, kind of beyond Castleton and Hope, but the mud up here is gritty, washy-offy stuff and the hills are full of the sound of salsa beats at top volume… just like the vid. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kinder Scout this weekend’ is closed to new replies.