Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kinder Loop – Bridleway
  • dawson

(Apologies if this has been done)

saw this via a tweet earlier

The bit that caught my attention was the route over to Langsett – will this mean more horses using Cut Gate?

In early June a brand new long distance route will be officially launched in the Peak District. The 55-mile Kinder Loop bridleway encircles the entire Kinder Scout massif. Horse riders were the moving force behind the trail, but they hope that cyclists and walkers will benefit too.

more here – http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68053
    http://www.peakhorsepower.co.uk/#/kinder-loop/4564966794

richpips
    Free Member

I did the Kinder Loop today. There were some horses in Jaggers, and that was it.

I saw little evidence of horses elsewhere other than the TPT.

Though I don’t get over Cut Gate often, I do the Roych most weeks, and have yet to encounter a horse.

crikey
    Free Member

Cut Gate is a bridleway, that’s why it’s ok to cycle it, so horses will use it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hat doffed to Cosima Towneley, the more trails we can legally open up the better.

Pieface

Are there any new trails or have they just linked together existing bridleways, given it a name and signposted it?

richpips
    Free Member

Are there any new trails or have they just linked together existing bridleways, given it a name and signposted it?

For the most part they’ve just put up some new arrows, though eventually there is supposed to be an alternative to riding on Monks Rd.

Bunnyhop

We came across 2 women riding horses western style on Cut Gate 2 weeks ago.

Esme
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the Kinder Loop yet (besides Richpips)? It’s recommended as a counter-clockwise ride for horses, but any thoughts on which way is best for mountain bikers?

Esme
    Free Member

Wow, I’ve found a subject that no-one has an opinion on 😯
    How do I claim my prize, please?

MadPierre

I’d probably do it clockwise on an mtb. Big old loop at 55 miles. A lot of it is the same as My route here

nbt

Done it both ways, but we used the road from Glossop to Chunal as this was before the “pennine bridleway” which still doesn’t actually exist other than as signs on quiet(ish) lanes. Direction is largely based on where you’re starting – try to finish on the best descent 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone ridden the Kinder Loop yet (besides Richpips)? It’s recommended as a counter-clockwise ride for horses, but any thoughts on which way is best for mountain bikers?

I kind of prefer it anti-clockwise so you head over towards Rushup from Hayfield over the Roych, then get a longer descent over Cut Gate down to Langsett with a shorter, but steeper climb, but it’s good both ways. I can’t remember which way the official route suggests around the Flouch end of things – Langsett – but you can cut across on a bridleway from there to the Trans Pennine Way section on the disused railway line to Dunford Bridge then up the road to cross the Woodhead and onto the Longdendale Trail. Don’t ride up the Woodhead if you can help it, a thoroughly nasty bit of road would be my advice.

I’ve never seen a horse on Cut Gate and only rarely on the Roych for that matter. We did a vague variation on cross bikes at the weekend going anti-clockwise – 50 miles – and it’s riding really well at the moment. Just a nice, gentle, mellow day out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kinder Loop – Bridleway’ is closed to new replies.