Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kinda Boring – What Rims? Tough trail riding and a different…
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

…colour to black!

My old Mavics now have seen better days and I think its time for a total rebuild. Planning on getting my hugely reliable Pro2s serviced and built up with new spokes but not sure about rims. Last time I had a pair of wheels built, Mavics were the #1 choice but not so anymore it seems. I also don’t really want black rims – the tart in me says white or yellow.

So, whats out there for about £40 per rim, tough but light enough for general trail riding around rocky areas, not too bothered about tubeless compatibility and available in funky colours?

Cheers
    Dave

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve been using atomlab dhr’s for the last 9 years (or there abouts) super tough and never had any problems with them. granted they are heavy and are black but atom lab rims in general are super tough even the lightweight ones.
    have a look at the superlite sl rims they make. they come in black, red or gold.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

NOS D321’s in Ceramic.

Well, I like mine 😉

banks
    Free Member

Anything by Spank

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Haha! Yes, Spank – was just coming back to say that.

woody2000
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

If you like blue parts, these might look damn nice:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns-bikes-trailmaster-rim-26-2013/rp-prod87935

If your Pro IIs are blue, then it’s a no-brainer !

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Stans? I got a pair of white flows on my bike and they’ve been great.

andyrm
    Free Member

Superstar Tactic:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=802

I raced a whole Enduro season on the more XC based Sentinel rim and it was spot on. The slightly wider, tougher Tactic should be spot on for you I reckon and it’s available in loads of colours.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pancenti DL31’s

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. Been looking at the SS rims and I’m not bothered about the whole ‘SS ruined my life’ rubbish – they tick a lot of boxes.

Anyone know anything about the Nukeproof Generator TR rims?

I’ll pass on the Atomlabs. It doesn’t surprise me they’ve lasted 9 years. My experience of Atomlab rims is that they’ll most likely last another 99 but with the cost of a fair old weight penalty.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Hmm

I have a set of brand new white stans flow rims in the shed doing nothing.

would be in and around your budget.

Interested?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

whats the consensus on the Mavic Crossmax Enduro WTS wheelset? (apart from them being yellow and expensive)

bobmac892

+1 for the Stan’s Flow

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

RudiBoy – how many spokes? I may well be interested…

funkrodent

Have Stan’s Arch on Hope hubs on my bike. Have been crashed about in Wales, the Lakes and the Peaks with narry a sign of a problem. Given that I’m 6’4″, weigh the best part of 17 stone and have a riding style that, when it comes to wheels, could best be described as unsympathetic, that’s not to be sniffed at 😉
    On that basis the Flows are going to be even better.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ll pass on the Atomlabs. It doesn’t surprise me they’ve lasted 9 years. My experience of Atomlab rims is that they’ll most likely last another 99 but with the cost of a fair old weight penalty.

the superlite rim weighs 500g compared to 490g for the stans flow ex…
    for an extra 10g of weight and potentially years of hassle free riding…i know where my money would go…but then its your money so your prerogative…. 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kinda Boring – What Rims? Tough trail riding and a different…’ is closed to new replies.