Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Kind of PSA, Organ Donation
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just completing my Tax Disc online using the new DVLA Beta Portal and it wrapped up with a link panel to the NHS Organ Donation site.

I clicked on it in the kind of what-the-hell-why-not fashion that I am wont to and ended up joining the NHS organ donation register in less than 30 rash seconds. 😯

I hadn’t realised how easy they had made it. They cross reference your registration details (name, DOB, Address) with what they already have on you to find your NHS number (you dont need to have it to hand yourself. I mean who ever does?) and they then just put a tick in the database box that says “Recycle His Bits”. Couldn’t be much simpler.

So here you go.
    https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/consent.asp

footflaps

[smug mode] Been on the list for decades [/smug mode]

Also, I was sort of expecting you to be offering a kidney or something…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You need to put this on a motorbiker’s forum. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You wasn’t already on it?

For shame!

…saying that. I have done everything to be on the donor list, but I was offered the option to sign up after getting my tax disc last week. Not sure if you can register more than one to be on the list, but guess it cannot harm.

bigblackshed

When I renewed my driving license it was added onto the new one. Been on it for years anyway, but good to see the gov agencies being joined up like this.

It also ties in with blood donation and the Anthony Nolan Trust for bone marrow donation. Again done both for over 20 years. Never been asked for bone marrow, but they keep asking me back for blood. 57 arm fulls now.

EDIT: Not sure if they still have to ask your next of kin for permission before they can take your organs. It’s not exactly the best time to be asking and if you have already given permission, and it’s your body, there should be no requirement to ask.

I know there was some noise a few years ago about it, along the lines of some relatives refuse permission and possible organs are lost because a relative is too emotional to make the choice.

cranberry
    Free Member

I signed up with my driving licence many years ago – if I’ve stopped needing my bits it always seemed rather a waste to BBQ them if someone else was in need of them.

cranberry
    Free Member

Oopsy, double post.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not sure if you can register more than one to be on the list, but guess it cannot harm.

pretty sure I’ve registered half a dozen times over the years. I hope they’re not disappointed with the number of organs they get should I happen to cark it.

martinhutch

No-one wants my manky internals, apparently. Or my blood/bone marrow. I imagine they’ll bury me in a lead-lined coffin.

Jamie
    Free Member

pretty sure I’ve registered half a dozen times over the years. I hope they’re not disappointed with the number of organs they get should I happen to cark it.

Hmm. Maybe they have seen my diet, and keep quietly de-registering me.

ogwen
    Free Member

Good to hear – I always register when given the option, just in case for some reason I’ve dropped off the list.

Has a slightly more personal touch for me though, as In 5 years I need a kidney from someone otherwise it’s life on a machine 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

I do carry a donor card but it’s blank so that someone else can use it in the event of my death.

Bunnyhop

Been on it here for ages too as our Dr’s surgery puts you on it and you can opt out.

Important note : Could anyone that’s on this register please remember to tell relatives and your partner of your wishes?
    It sometimes comes up that they have no idea and are entitled to say no, if, the situation were to occur.

walla24
    Free Member

signed up, always put it off thinking it was ball ache paperwork 😉 easy peasy

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm. Maybe they have seen my diet, and keep quietly de-registering me.

Maybe they saw the hotdog thread?

brakes
    Free Member

can I have all your brains please?
    I’m hungry.

Drac

I approve my Brother got a new Liver just over a year ago thanks to that. I’m sure I registered years ago but to be safe going to reregister.

core

I had a thing through with my new passport last week, was all set to do it online, then read the back of the card where you list the specific parts they can have. Was fine up until that point, then jibbed unfortunately.

I’m not a squeamish person, but somehow having to actually think about what they’d cut off/out of me didn’t sit as well as just thinking “ah well, when I peg it they’ll rob some useful bits”. Think I need to force myself to think about it logically, and sign the **** up.

Rscott
    Free Member

signed up when I got my drivers license, everything except my eyescan go dont know why but eyes always freeked me out cant even see someone putting in contacts. I know i’ll be dead by that time but i just couldnt bring mysel to do it.

Stoner
    Free Member

TBH I felt the nudge.
    I think it was IDS. Or is it IBS?

johnners
    Free Member

Been on it here for ages too as our Dr’s surgery puts you on it and you can opt out.

That sounds a bit cheeky to me.

footflaps

TBH I felt the nudge.
    I think it was IDS. Or is it IBS?

You really ought to get yourself tested if you’ve been nudged by IDS and now have IBS….

StirlingCrispin

Cheers.
    Just signed up.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Interestingly enough it doesn’t matter that much if you are on it or not. If you are ever unfortunate enough to be in a position to be suitable for organ donation the speacilist organ donation nurses will always talk to the family. Being on the register just makes their opening gambit easier. If the family says no, even if your on the register the answer is still no!

jon1973
    Free Member

^ That’s why it’s important to discuss it with your family, rather than just sign up – get them used to the idea.

benjamins11
    Free Member

You’re right.

johndoh
    Free Member

You wasn’t already on it?

This! I have been on the Donor list as long as I can remember – and they are welcome to chop me into bits and take whatever they want.

Don’t forget to tell next of kin / close family that you have done it aso they know of your choice.

Edit: Kinda just done, but it is very important.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s certainly a nice thing to do. That and give blood on a regular basis.

Northwind

If any of you poor buggers is ever so desperate that you want some used Northwind components, then you will be very welcome once I’m done with them but it’d be a little bit like buying a bike off Realman.

brakes
    Free Member

everything except my eyes can go

I used to think this, in a “the eyes are the entrance to your soul” kind of way. then I realised that was stupid and that if someone else can use my eyes to see again then go for it. better that than worm food.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

They can only harvest organs from the living.
    I have an organ someone can have, as i use it infrequently.

garage-dweller

I hope I am registered but should check.

We have had a very open discussion with or families about recycling and it is very much everything usable goes, no questions,no quibbles, no regrets.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If you got a donor card back in the days before internet are you automatically added to the database?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Kind of PSA, Organ Donation’ is closed to new replies.