Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kind of embarrassing – How to clean my bikes
  • daleftw
    Free Member

So…

I have a couple of grands worth of bikes sitting in my shed. Reckon it’s about time I learnt how to look after them.

When I say clean them, I don’t mean a full service, just keep them looking and working nice.

Procedure at the minute is to fine spray them with the hose to soften the accrued mud, then get a brush and a bucket of water and get all the mud off, proper.

I then bounce the bikes a couple of times to shake the water off then towel it down 😆

And that’s about it. Taking an educated guess, I reckon that I should be doing a little more.

So could anyone point me in the right direction? What are things like GT85 used for?

(Sorry for such a n00b thread, but yeah.) [/emasculation]

GW
    Free Member

first, you need to turn them all upside down…

druidh
    Free Member

Dammit GW…. 😈

GW
    Free Member

What you’re doing sounds fine, you could add a minute to your current procedure by lubing the chain, gear cables and fork stanchions. GT85 on the towel will make them nice n shiny if that’s what you’re after

binners

Clean the drive chain and lube it. And maybe the suspension linkages. The rest of it should be quite happy to be constantly covered in shit. Mine certainly don’t seem to mind anyway 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Do not lube the fork with GT85, or WD40. The water dispersant in them will remove the oil that makes the seals work.

Dont spray the GT85, it will get on the disks, spray it on a cloth and wipe with that.

daleftw
    Free Member

GW – Member
    What you’re doing sounds fine, you could add a minute to your current procedure by lubing the chain, gear cables and fork stanchions. GT85 on the towel will make them nice n shiny if that’s what you’re after

Cheers. I forgot to add I do the whole de-grease/re-lube the chain/cassette every so often (Every month or two).

What should I lube the fork stanchions with?

daleftw
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    Dont spray the GT85, it will get on the disks, spray it on a cloth and wipe with that.

Wipe it where?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

This is what you need http://www.rhinogoo.co.uk/

GW
    Free Member

anywhere but your discs and stanchions really, a tiny dribble of fork oil will do for them (the stanchions obv.) then just pump the forks a few times wiping off the excess.

kudos100
    Free Member

What should I lube the fork stanchions with?

Finish line wet lube, or something similar.

jonathan
    Free Member

1. If dry then brush/knock mud off.

2. Gentle hose bike to loose/lift crap

3. Scrub drivetrain with degreaser (decent citrus stuff). Easier if you take the chain off.

4. Wash bike with warm water and washing up liquid – do the degreased parts last.

5. Gentle rinse bike with hose/watering can

6. Wipe down with cloth to dry/finish

7. Reassemble and lube chain, jockey wheels etc. Bit of lube on fork stantions and shock shaft (something like this http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/stanchion-lube.htm)

8. Done

Usually easier to do with wheels and chain off. Get a power link so you can remove/refit chain easily.

grum
    Free Member

Fork Juice is good for spraying on the stanchions, I use it on my Gravity Dropper too (waits for someone to come along and say its expensive, unnecessary and/or damaging 🙂 ).

daleftw
    Free Member

Cheers people.

In regards to the front mech – It gets quite clogged up with mud and I usually use a toothbrish to get the mud out/off. Should I lube this after or does it not need it?

grum
    Free Member

I usually spray a bit of GT85 on my mechs after hosing the bike down, partly to lube and partly to get any water out. I’ve never had a problem getting it on discs btw, as long as you’re careful it should be fine.

daleftw
    Free Member

Right, so my shopping list should be

GT85
    Fenwicks Suspension Lube Spray
    Finish Line Lube (Already use the wet one on mountainbike, should I use dry on my road bike?)

or similar?

StirlingCrispin

1) Hose down the drive train with tap water, using a brush if required.
    2) Spray with Scottoiler FS365 (a rust inhibitor)
    3) Go make cup of tea.

Takes 5 minutes maximum.

emac65
    Free Member

1. If dry then brush/knock mud off.

2. Gentle hose bike to loose/lift crap

3. Scrub drivetrain with degreaser (decent citrus stuff). Easier if you take the chain off.

4. Wash bike with warm water and washing up liquid – do the degreased parts last.

5. Gentle rinse bike with hose/watering can

6. Wipe down with cloth to dry/finish

7. Reassemble and lube chain, jockey wheels etc. Bit of lube on fork stantions and shock shaft (something like this http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/stanchion-lube.htm)

8. Done

That’s what I do……….Well….No 2, No 7(the oil chain & lube boingy bits) & No 8 ……..

jwmlee
    Free Member

My routine:

1) Hose down to remove excess mud
    2) Bucket and water with cheap car wash – sponge or soft brush
    3) Rinse with water
    4) Rinse chain with water or brush off muck (I am using Squirt lube)
    5) Bounce drops off and quick dry with micro cloth
    6) Light spray stanchion – careful not to get on disks, pump fork & wipe clean any grime
    7) Reapply Squirt and cycle chain
    8) Spray GT85 on rag then wipe down frame to polish / resist mud

Only do this when the bike needs it – most of the time I get away with just rinsing it off (GT 85 helps prevent dirt sticking) and sorting out the chain and stanchions as necessary.

daleftw
    Free Member

jwmlee – Member
    My routine:

1) Hose down to remove excess mud
    2) Bucket and water with cheap car wash – sponge or soft brush
    3) Rinse with water
    4) Rinse chain with water or brush off muck (I am using Squirt lube)
    5) Bounce drops off and quick dry with micro cloth
    6) Light spray stanchion – careful not to get on disks, pump fork & wipe clean any grime
    7) Reapply Squirt and cycle chain
    Spray GT85 on rag then wipe down frame to polish / resist mud

Only do this when the bike needs it – most of the time I get away with just rinsing it off (GT 85 helps prevent dirt sticking) and sorting out the chain and stanchions as necessary.

Cool, cheers, will give it a go.

I have a couple more things I’ve just remembered about. I have bother with rust in my stem bolts. Mustn’t dry them properly. Should I spray a bit GT85 on them?

And I change my pedals quite often, should I use some form of grease/lube in the crank?

yoshimi

So – lube mech’s with oil or GT85?

wattsymtb
    Free Member

GW – Member
    first, you need to turn them all upside down…

And after you’re done replace the grips.

daleftw
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Fork Juice is good for spraying on the stanchions, I use it on my Gravity Dropper too (waits for someone to come along and say its expensive, unnecessary and/or damaging ).

This? – http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Juice_Lubes_Fork_Juice_400ml-1174-96.html

Looks pretty 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Kind of embarrassing – How to clean my bikes’ is closed to new replies.