Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Kind honest people…..
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..the world is full of them 🙂

When I got off my bike after my commute this morning I was horrified to discover that my wallet had somehow fallen out of the side pocket of my Top Peak bike bag. All I knew was that it would be somewhere between Croydon and Horley.

It was a crap way to start the week as I desperately clung on to the vague hope that it might be found by a honest person who might hand in to the old bill.

At about lunch time my phone rings and it’s Costco to tell me that my Costco card and wallet have been found, they give me the phone number of the guy who’s got them.

It turns out that a FedEx driver found my wallet with £40 cash and my debit card in the street and handed it in to the nearest shop. The shop owner first phoned Nationwide, who weren’t interested (thanks for nothing Nationwide) he then phoned Costco who said no problem and they phoned me straightaway – a big thank you to Costco.

Quite a boring story I know but I thought it would provide a slight balance to the sadly more usual “thieving scum” stories. There are plenty of honest people in this world, and plenty who are prepared to be helpful to anonymous strangers without any need for personal reward (although I did leave a tenner in the shop for the FedEx driver should the shopkeeper manage to track him down) and they include FedEx drivers and the staff at Jesters Party Shop South Croydon 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d have had the cash but still handed the rest in. 🙂

Nah, seriously…mrs deadly had the same recently with her phone, also curiously, a FedEx driver. Same here with my phone in Manchester. Both handed in straight away. Makes one feel nice. 🙂

oxym0r0n

Warm and fuzzy – great story 😀

jekkyl

Hooray for humanity, well some of them, the nice ones, Hooray for them!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i once had my wallet returned before I even knew I had lost it.

Once had it handed in with £250 cash in it as well still that was in Sainsburys

jonahtonto
    Free Member

a few years back i turned to my girlfriend in glasty just as we were going to bed and told her “your ringing me in your pocket”
    “thats odd” she said, “since you had my phone last”

anyway i had been borrowing her phone all night and had dropped it in the stone circle. i dont think ive ever run that fast going to meet him, the guy couldnt have been nicer, i tried plying him with ice cold beer, all manner of drugs etc etc and he wouldnt accept anything as a thank you.
    it was a spanking new, uninsured iphone at the start of a 2 yr contract. if it wasnt for that guy i would probably still be paying for it now.

righog
    Free Member

Twice 😳 I have had my wallet returned through the kindness of strangers.

On Friday I left my new Iphone 5 at a self service till in Newcastle airport, before I knew it was missing a lady from the shop had phoned my mother (using the contacts) at 05:40 and told her it could be picked up from lost and found. The lady at Lost and found said no proof required, when my wife picked it up. ( screensaver a pic of wife and kids 😀 )

The world is full of nice people.

ampthill

Good storys. There are many decent people in the world

I’ve had lost phones returned twice

convert

Many years ago as a backpacker type in Australia I found a discarded briefcase in Kings Cross that had been rifled through but all papers and floppy disks were still there. I took it to the police station and they took the details of the hostel I was staying at. Next morning a courier turned up with an envelope for me with a thank you card and $200 with a message saying it had been stolen from his car and I had saved him months of work handing it in. To my lasting shame I accepted the cash as I was so broke at the time. I wish I had refused it as I reckon that we should all do that sort of thing as a matter of course and not expect a reward.

CountZero

Nice story with a good ending. 😀

gordimhor

Lost my phone on a bus when it was new and the woman who found it got my home number and called me there .I went to get it and she wouldn’t take anything for her trouble

cinnamon_girl

The nice man who found me lying in the winding single track road and carried me and my bike into his van to take me to a local hospital. Hospital was closed so he called for an ambulance.

He looked after my bike and bought it to my house when I came out of hospital. Wouldn’t take any money for petrol either.

Top bloke. 8)

pictonroad

I drove off with my wallet on the roof. I called the police on the remote chance it had been handed in, we were on our way back home on holiday. Ten minutes later the police phone, chap has it, I turn the car round and drive to the house of a very very drunk Irish man. He’d been staggering back from the pub and found it. I offered him some of the cash as a reward; “I can’t take any money from an eejit as **** stupid as you” and walked back in his house. Drunk, kind and did not suffer fools.. Lol

sbob
    Free Member

I lost my wallet (or was pick-pocketted) at a small Highland Games when I was a lad.
    It was found behind the gents toilets and handed in but my holiday money had been taken (~£50).
    MC for the games said over the PA that he didn’t want the little English boy going all the way home thinking the Scots were a bunch of thieves so invited everyone to chuck a few pence in a bucket so I could be re-imbursed.
    It took a couple of minutes before there was hundreds in the pot so a local charity got a nice donation. 😀

One thief, hundreds of good people.
    Don’t let the the Express/Wail convince you otherwise.

bearnecessities

I found a wallet today in Bolton, just sat on a bench in the town centre by the Town Hall.

Picked it up, felt all the eyes burrowing into me from other folk and had a good rifle through. Some cash, but also a well traveled family photo, which made my heart sink as I couldn’t find anything to identify owner.

However I found a lone Barclays bank card, and weirdly enough, I found it right next to a Barclays bank!

Took it in and left my details.

Before I even got back into the office, there was a really nice answerphone message from some yoof, speaking in ‘sick’ language, but you could just tell he was chuffed/relieved to have it back.

Gave him a call back and had a brief 60 second chat; he was just gobsmacked that someone handed it in!

Therefore, I am going to heaven now 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, there are still some honest people in the world but sometime they are difficult to find.

:mrgreen:

p/s: Yes, I have returned the usual stuff as well wallet or mobile several times.

daftvader
    Free Member

as a postie I have found a few phones and have always managed to get them back to the owner by phoning “mum” or “dad”. I’ve returned lost dogs to owners (not attached to my ankle or letters I hasten to add!) and reunited a kiddie with his teddy so I reckon I’ve done my bit. karma will restore the balance one day I hope

brooess
    Free Member

There’s loads of this stuff goes on but it doesn’t make social media or sell papers…

My mate’s derailleur hanger snapped on Pitch Hill but a bloke in a Landy gave us a lift back to Holmbury to save us a long walk.

The people living in the house opposite Peaslake bus stop put my bike in their shed for me to pick up a couple of weeks later after I broke my shoulder and had to go home in an ambulance

Bregante

I got back from a ride with mates a few weeks back. As I got my gear out of my mates car, I can only assume that I left my phone on the roof of his car. I only realised it was missing about an hour later. Walked the length of the street but no sign.

It’s password locked so didn’t have much hope of the finder ringing the house so I gave it a call. A young lad about 15 had found it and had taken it to the local station (which was shut) so he took it home and told his parents.

I was so relieved that I tried to give the lad £20 but they point blank refused to let him take it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Found a satchel in the road about 2 years ago in central London had to rummage through the contents to eventually find a work ID for a Brazillian chap. Called his work and he came to collect. The bag had his passport, immigration stuff, money, letters etc etc. You’ve never seen a happier person than that fella when I gave him his bag, his whole life was in there he said and it had fallen from his bike, he was virtually in tears. Felt good and that was ample reward.

jamj1974

There are so many good people out there – most people in my experience.

OT. Give my regards to Coulsdon on your way through next time Ernie. Can’t believe they knocked the old library down. Spent many a happy hour in there as a child… Is Taylor’s Toys and Sports still there?

Jamie
    Free Member

@bearnecessities

You had this bookmarked for 10 months?

Junkyard
    Free Member

last thursday I dropped a tenner in the street and a muslim woman in a burkha called out to me and handed it back

True story that despite it being so bloody PC

Glad it worked out for you OP

thered

Rushing for the heathrow express I once left my wallet at the ticket counter with $1,000 in it on the counter. Geezer behind me in the queue shouted me back to tell me. Nice.

sbob
    Free Member

Last wallet I found had the owner’s driving licence in it (hence address) as well as £1-200 in cash.
    Went to the address, bloke opened the door and he matched the pic on the licence.
    “You alright mate, I found your wallet on the street”
    “Oh right”
    Door slams.

Not even a **** thank you!

The only time I lost my wallet was at a highland games as a child. The MC told everyone over the PA to keep their eyes peeled and it was duly found, though sans holiday cash.
    He put another shout out that I’d come all the way from Cambridgeshire and he didn’t want us going home thinking the Scots were a bunch of thieves so if anyone had any spare change to drop it off with the officials.
    Within 20mins I had my holiday money back and a huge donation to whatever local charity they saw fit.
    😀
    Most people are decent, just don’t read the Daily Mail and it’s not a hard concept to grasp.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Saw a guy drop his wallet in a crowd going up the steps in convent garden tube – we were near the bottom, he was disappearing round the corner at the top. Ran up, elbowing a few people out the way, grabbed it off the floor and legged it after him. Luckily there was a photo ID card in his wallet so I managed to pick him out of the crowd before he vanished into a lift.

He was a tourist, all his cash, cards, ID, hotel card etc we’re in that wallet so he was pretty relieved, and very, very grateful.

I hope if I ever drop mine someone will be good enough to do similar.

Kahurangi

sbob – do you realise you told the very same story approx 10 months ago, with the same Daily Mail jibe to finish?? Scroll up…. ^^

racefaceec90

a gent called mark jooky (jooky guitar emporium)the link will explain it in more detail,but basically he gave me a guitar for nowt! http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/am-slightly-excited-to-say-the-least-new-guitar-on-its-way 😀

he definitely deserves a big shout out/thank you from me 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well it is as true today as it was 10 months ago*

* Not meant to suggest I think he is making it up I dont to be super clear there but it can read like that – apologises not my intention

allthepies
    Free Member

The other week I bought a sandwich from the local Asda for lunch. Paid at the self-service tills and got £50 cashback at the same time (the Asda self service machines let you do this).

The next day I checked my wallet and realised I’d not collected the cashback from the machine (the money-out slot is low down + had lots on my mind at the time).

Went back several days later after I’d found the receipt and luckily my £50 was logged in their book as handed in about 2 minutes after my receipt timestamp 🙂

There were quite a few entries per day in the book !

sandwicheater

Love this post, gives me a warm feeling inside (or I’m coming down with something).

We did a charity unsupported tandem ride (landsend to john o’groats) and met so many nice people along the way. We had our MacMillan t-shirts on most the time but to mention a few;

Almost every campsite refused to take our money to stay.
    People would walk around the campsites asking for sponsorship for us without even being asked. Would just give us £50 and explain they spent the last hour walking around.
    Being stopped in supermarkets and just given cash to pay for our food.
    Having hot flasks of tea popped in our tent at 5 am as were just setting off by a lovely bloke we were chatting to the night before (who also gave us a detailed description on how to make explosives 😯 )

Nothing but nice people from start to finish.

lcj

brooess – Member
    There’s loads of this stuff goes on but it doesn’t make social media or sell papers…

My mate’s derailleur hanger snapped on Pitch Hill but a bloke in a Landy gave us a lift back to Holmbury to save us a long walk.

I think that might have been me! Some time ago now? Did one of you have to jump in the back with the bikes because I only have one passenger seat?!

dashed
    Free Member

Once found a mobile on a beach in Anglesey – got in touch with “mum” on the phone and basically wish I hadn’t. I offered to drive it back to drop it off with her son who was on holiday on the other side of the island – you’d think I was a bloody courier driver they’d paid the way she spoke to me and expected me to drop everything and return it immediately, and proper got the arse because I was on my way to work and her son would have to wait a few hours. That one very, very nearly went over the harbour wall!

Edukator
    Free Member

As I often ski up pistes people are skiing down I find all sorts of stuff people drop. With phones I usually phone “mamam” and arrange to hand them back, other stuff goes to lost property. This year I dropped my keys on a day with fresh snow somewhere on the pistes. Gone forever or at least till the Spring I thought, but called in at lost property later, they were there.

I sympathise, dashed, I lost patience with one “maman” and took the phone to lost property.

Clobber
    Free Member

Why the hell can’t people hang onto their stuff…??

tomd
    Free Member

I lost my car keys sledging in the snow in Edinburgh a few years ago. Major PITA as the spare keys were 500 miles away. Anyway, I put a lost note into the local police station in the hope they migh eventually get handed in to save me paying £250 for a new key.

About three months later I got a call saying they’d been found and handed in by a dog walker! Brilliant as I’d just got a quote for a replacement key.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

A random nice lady tool pity on me and offered me a lift from hospital back to my car several miles away when I spannered / severely sprained my ankle on Tuesday. It was very nice of her and saved me a very painful hobble..

edlong
    Free Member

last thursday I dropped a tenner in the street and a muslim woman in a burkha called out to me and handed it back

True story that despite it being so bloody PC

Why mention the religion and dress, if you don’t mind me asking? Is there a default assumption (in general, not you specifically) that muslims in burkhas are crooks?

If it had been someone from a different religion, would you have felt it relevant to say, for example, “a Christian woman in a dress”?

Jamie
    Free Member

Why mention the religion and dress, if you don’t mind me asking? Is there a default assumption (in general, not you specifically) that muslims in burkhas are crooks?

If it had been someone from a different religion, would you have felt it relevant to say, for example, “a Christian woman in a dress”?

The lapsed catholic in a hat*, makes a good point.

*possibly.

core

Was at a friend’s memorial service last week, hadn’t taken a handkerchief or any tissue (only old people do that, don’t they?).

It all got a bit emotional, and I was a bit of a teary, snotty mess at one point, when the old guy next to me, who I’d never met before, produced a wad of crisp new tissues and passed them to me, without a look or single word, we just both knew. Top bloke.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Kind honest people…..’ is closed to new replies.