Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kincraig
  • garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Hi all.

Heading on a family holiday at the start of July. Likely I’ll get a day to do a bigger ride but mostly night time rides once the kids are in bed.

Any recommendations of quality 2 hr rides from Kincraig or near by?
    Any routes suitable for me and the wee fella (5) around Rothiemurchus?

kcal

@scotroutes… will be along in a bit I’m sure.

In the mean time, short answer yes, nice rides are available! Inchriach forest is a warren of trails, some have been cut up by forestry but especially over the E side, towards Loch an Eileen, it’s really pleasant wooded singletrack in abundance. Especially if you can head south to Creag Dhubh, just lovely. I’d get yourself to Bothy Bikes in Aviemore (near the brewery) and pick up some maps and advice.

Heading south into and around Tromie there’s some nice tracks to keep you busy, Wades road that heads towards Laggan as well for a bit more MTB stuff.

I think the Speyside Way now runs from Kincriag to Aviemore so that opens up a bit on that side.

Rothiemurchus – with a 5 year old – maybe a bit young, logging way might be a good one to Morlich (or get a lift and bike back).

Edit – might be worth contacting these guys and see if they can at least show you round if time is tight — tell them Callum sent you 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/pg/School-of-Mountain-Biking-395526794136504/about/

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Fantastic. Cheers for the information. I had completely forgotten that Lagan is just down the road too. Really looking forward to this trip.

scotroutes

* waves *

From Kincraig you have instant access to the Uath Lochans and the delights of Glen Feshie and Inshriach Forests. I can give you some GPX/maps if you want – easier than trying to explain it all.

The Uath Lochans would also be a cool place for you and the boy.

As kcal says, you also have easy access to Aviemore along the extended Speyside Way. This is fairly mundane (as far as cycling in the area is concerned) though you can liven it up a little by following the old riverside path for a bit instead.

If I’m around – and you’d appreciate company – I’d be happy to show you some of the trails. It’ll be mostly pootling speed though….

There’s a couple of videos linked here that might give you some idea of what’s in the general area.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2017/06/familiarity-breedscomplacency.html

iainc

In Aviemore from Sat 8th for a week with family so also around for some rides. My boys are 11 and 14 and love the stuff around Loch Gamhna and Rothie. Will likely be out for a couple of earlyish morning bigger rides if you’re about.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Hi Iain, we come home on the 8th but will update this post with route descriptions and maybe photos. I have been up the tops from Glenfeshie before, some cracking riding once you get up to the plateau. Looking forward to the Forrest next to Kincraig.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Thanks Scotroutes, for the advice and the ride offer. Will see how I a man fixed when there. I don’t have a bike computer so don’t need files…tend to look at an os map and find my way!

Thanks again and I’ll get a map out and plan some routes.

scotroutes

The OS map doesn’t show the best tracks 😉

kcal

word. found the same last week in Braemar. belter of a track, 1 mile, not on map at all..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Sorry, I can’t remember being five, nor riding with a five-year-old.

The route around Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus, might appeal. If you go from the (pay for) car park head anticlockwise as it’s fairly level and there’s a castle to add interest. A full lap is a bit over three miles, and the far end gets uppy/downy, so you might choose out and back, depending on the lad’s legs.

There’s a cherry tree across from the rental cottage, the fruit might be nicely ripe about then.

muppet4
    Free Member

Stayed in Kincraig for honeymoon, lovely place. Mrs Muppet and I rode up to the ski lodge and back purely for a climb and rode the trail back down through Rothie, not fantastic but I wanted to tick it off the climbing list. If you do venture in the car early , the Lagan wolftrax aren’t that far away (20 ish mins in car) and I enjoyed it there too, great little centre.

scotroutes

I’m sorry to say this, but I wouldn’t be coming to the Cairngorms and spending my only day of “freedom” at a trail centre…..

muppet4
    Free Member

Fair point, although I am from the Cambs fens and our village sits at minus altitude so anything is better than this !!

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

My solo day will be heading over to Glen Feshie then heading up over past Loch Einich, etc…

scotroutes

Good man!

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Got back home on Saturday from an excellent week in Kincraig. As a base for getting out and about I’d say it is better than Aviemore. Only thing missing is a wee grocery.

With whole family, that’s me, four year old boy, wife pulling trailer with one year old on board and dog alongside, we cycled around Loch An Eileen and Loch Morlich. Both excellent trips but Loch an Eileen more interesting and fun.

Personally had some amazing rides in Inshriach and Glenfeshie including Carn Ban Mor. From the top of Beinn Dubh (?) in Inshriach there are a few options for sweet singletrack, though I hit the trail heading due North across the clearing most. Went back for a couple of the others later in the week. Some of the best trails I’ve riden. Testing and fun all at once. Nothing too steep, all rideable. Met up with my brother for a ride down it once evening and we both said it’s what mountain biking is all about. Whoever built those trails kudos to them.

Carn Ban Mor, cycled, pushed up to the top. Was going to head North to the Argyle Stone then drop down to Loch Gambha but the weather on the tops closed in so I cycled back down the trail to Glen Feshie. Outstanding. Mostly. Some horrid culverts but mostly avoidable, bunnyhoppable or riden by slowing down.

Scenery, stunning.

Only negative of inshriach is the flies that follow you up the hill. Not midge, just those really annoying flies.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Oh aye, the trails around Kincraig, Speyside Way are great fun too. And the Badenoch way along Loch Insh. Great single track.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kincraig’ is closed to new replies.