Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Kilpatrick Hills Routes?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I've heard about 'The Whangie' which I might do tommorrow. Looks like there's at least 3 paths to choose from up it. Anyone know which is most fun?

Also, does anyone know if there's any other good routes in the Kilpatricks as it looks like it has a lot of potential? I know a really nice route up and down Pappert Hill but not been east of there yet. Cheers.

hainman
    Free Member

where you fae giantjaunt??theres a cpl of tracks.i do one that takes u up the humphrey road at the slip road at erskine bridge and it takes you up to the humphrey resevoir then you can go to the left out to carbeth or you can go up to the jaw and the cochno and then the duncombe veiw and down to the greenie.once your up there think its pretty much go where yo fancy.the one i done last week was maybe an hour or two and bout 10k.not long but through the middle of nowhere its fun and keeps you going.hope this helps mate.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I live just outside Balloch but I'm fairly new to the area so still exploring. Thanks a lot for the info I'll give that route a go. I met some trials bikers up Pappert Hill and they said you can get to Carbeth from there too but I don't know what the paths are like or even if there is one. I think there's paths in the woods around Overtoun too. Cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hainman
    Free Member

No worries mate.my mother and father in law stay in balloch.the hill up to the Humphrey is a belter.I think the trails ain't to bad.from the kilpatrick hills you can go a few ways.you'll enjoy it.have fun.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Decided to go up there today and it was great. I went out to Duncolm then on the way back went up to the trig point just south east of Loch Humphrey. There was a really nice bit of sheep track heading south west from there and along the top of the crags to rejoin the track. The path from the trig point going east down the ridge to Greenside Res looks like it would be fun too.

hainman
    Free Member

nice one.did u have fun then?the wee trail/path to the greenie is magic you can build up a fair bit of speed down it,its abit hairy wae dodgy front brake.how did you find the hill up??when you come down the greenie you can come down the water works road and turn right then take the left slip up the farm road then you can head up to the jaw and cochno then you come down the greenie again.the 2 tracks would take you a few hours.and loads of fun.what you riding?i did the first time on a cheepie and was totaly **** after it.

NickScots
    Free Member

Park at the petrol station/restaurant opposite from the tourist office at Dumbuck. Go back to dumby about 200m turn sharp right up the road and through the hosuing estate, after then estate bypass the quarry road going left, diversion signed. This is steep climbing. Follow this slightly downhill once past the phone mast, rhs.
    Now continue on the fire road climb, bearing left after about 5mins. You appear at the reservoir. Follow this on the west side than pick up a wide singletrack which is smoothe and fast down thru Overton House and a rocky RoW and you pop out back down near Dumby. We normally go onto the Balloch/Glasgow cyclepath back to the car.

If this doesn't make sense post up and I'll email you a google earth/gpx file.

It's about a 1000ft climb, with no break but you get the 1000ft descent !

Nick

hainman
    Free Member

sounds good nick.the humphrey road is the same.its steep as hell and mega rubblie but once up there you can go for miles in any direction.the route i told giantjaunt is good to do,has some hills some bumpy bits and some good steep fast down hill.the road up to the jaw at the top of cichno road in hardgate is a belter too,both worth a blast.

NickScots
    Free Member

Hainman,

Sounds good too, any grid ref waypoints etc ?

Nick

hainman
    Free Member

not sure what you mean nick,im not much for maps.if you go into google earth and look for the erskine bridge slip road that would take you upto clydebank if you came over from erskine theres a wee road that vears oof to the left up a wee hill to and electricity point.you just follow that road all the way up the hill to the humphrey resevoir and when you get to the top just follow the trail and youll be in for a good bit of pedalling.me and my mate are heading up there at some point on saturday,i better get som practice haha

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

did u have fun then?

Yeah it was great thanks! The views are amazing aren't they? I could see all the way out to Ailsa Craig. I've got a Giant Trance X which is pretty good for this stuff if a little low slung at times. I liked the track a lot but have to admit I pushed up a bit of it. The sheep path rejoined the track on a corner at a cattle grid and the return journey on the track was very fun.

hainman
    Free Member

haha.i hear you mate,i cannae get more than half way up b4 i start the long push(im mega unfit)its a good wee round robbin from where i live.i go up and come back dow all where i live so im lucky that way.im heading up there on saturday(weather permitting)to do the trail up to the jam then over to the cochno and back down.just had to have a wee fouter about wae my front break as its as soft as a marshmallow but seems better now.i dont fancy the downhill wae oot it haha or i'll be splitting some sheep in half!might catch u up there some time.craig

WackoAK
    Free Member

Hainman/GiantJaunt – I've done that route although stupidly the wrong way round – we climbed up from Overtoun House then down the road to Erskine Bridge. Def need to try it the other way round.

I've done the climb from Overtoun House to the first reservior and then just headed back down the way we came up which is an ace fast dh route.

hainman
    Free Member

ive yet to take the humphrey road down.its abit to rubblie but i'll do it one day.havnt tried the route to overtoun yet.my mate spoke about it but wasnt sure where it was or where it took you.must try it.the humphrey hill is a topper.i checked it on sportypal when i got to top and the climb is over 1000 feet.you should try the trail across to the greenie.its magic.gona go for a wee blast with mates on saturday up cochno rd then up the jam resevoir then across to the cochno and down the other side of the greenie.had a fouter about wae my front brake and its kinda working again.not mega sharp but doesnt touch the grip any more.phew down hill is scary when nae brake to stop you haha.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont suppose you found a missing bike compuer climbing up from old kilpatrick did you? Lost it up there about 20 years ago, lol.
    Its a pig of a climb and its not good when you pinch flat on the front coming back down there either!!!

hainman
    Free Member

Haha what was it a spectrum or commodore.aye its a bitch but fun coming down to the greenie although I nearly went tits over the handlebars the first time down as I wasn't expecting the steepness but been fun since.just glad ma brake is working again so its no a chicken run doon

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Its a pig of a climb and its not good when you pinch flat on the front coming back down there either!!!

That's what I was worried about coming back down the track. I thought if I get a flat at this speed I'm done for lol. My gps said I'd got up to 55kph which is a record for me I think.

hainman
    Free Member

Aye that would be a bitch.face full of chuckies doesn't sound nice.that's why I stick to grass.softer landing.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I live nearby,

STW Kilpatrick session anyone?

hainman
    Free Member

Zedsdead where bouts mate?I might be up there on Saturday wae ma mate.going up the jaw and cochno if weather good.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm just over on the South side of the Erskine Bridge. I'm out of the country just now though….

WackoAK
    Free Member

Zedsdead – I'd be up for that I'm in Glasgow but it's only a short spin down the Loch Lomond cycle route for me to get there.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I'd be up for it but my next available weekend is 3 weeks away but could maybe go one evening?

hainman
    Free Member

"I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" sounds good to me.if i can get babysitter i'd be up for it.whats everybody riding theses days?i know giantjaunt has a giant!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

3 weeks – I may well be in the UK then…. 😀

hainman
    Free Member

got a wee trek up the hills later today and its **** pissing down.typical eh.dry all week and 1st chance i get to go out and its wet,argh

hainman
    Free Member

just had ma wee jaunt up to the jaw and the cochno and back across to the greenie and im to pooped tae pop!!need tae get more practice in me thinks….anyhoo any of you guys looking for a good wee hike up some hills you should give it a bash.only bugger was the rain had made it a wee bit boggier than usual so plenty of muddy tracks tae spin on and get stuck in!all in all fun times 🙂

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Hainman – I was up by the Greenie a couple of times last week. Went up the trig point up on the Slacks and came down from there – cracking wee descent that!

I went to the Jaw up over the steep climb on the other side of the Greenside dam. Do you come down that one?

hainman
    Free Member

franciscobegbie yeh i go up from the cochno road end near edinbarnet house and follow the trail up to the jaw the up to the cochno and then down the steep hill to the greenie,or i go up the humphrey road(walk about half)and then over to the trig point and down to the greenie,the greenie rd is a bit of a nightmare wae all the loose chuckies about.i was up with my sons on sunday across the the humphrey to the greenie,where is it you live??i lived in duntocher for years then moved to clydebank.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I've only ever went up that hill from the Jaw. Hows the descent? Looks a bit…interesting in places. It looks as if you'd wind up in the Greenside if you mess it up.

I was up there myself on Sunday. Humphrey road, Greenside, Jaw/Cochno then down to Edinbarnet. Didn't know about the wee trail that runs down to Edinbarnet. It was nice. Much better than taking your chances in the crazy Farmer's yard.

I live in Mountblow, so handy for the Humphrey road. Head up to Carleith, then take the wee track behind the crematorium. Warms me up nicely for the wee bit of climbing to come. 😛

hainman
    Free Member

It's fun but not when your front brake is **** haha.bit hairy.I seen some1 up at the Humphrey when I was up about half 3.you by chance?aye the trails are good and handy as it saves a jaunty to carron valley.have you been out there?

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Not me. I was home for tea and muffins by then.

Not been to any of the trail centres yet. Just back in the saddle after about 15 years out of it, but fancy a trip to Carron Valley soon.

hainman
    Free Member

you should take a wee trip out sometime its a good trail and some nice jumps too,

hainman
    Free Member

any you guys heading up the hills tomorrow??looking for somewhere to go for a wee blast

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere to go myself. Everywheres going to be muddy as hell though.
    Where you thinking of?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m not back until the begining of November 🙁

I’ll definitely be heading up when I return though…

hainman
    Free Member

not to sure.was thinking of heading to carron valley or mugdock.if all else fails then a wee jaunt up the hills either up the humphrey or cochno will have to do.think the humphrey to greenie route would be the easier of the 2 hills as the cochno end is boggie as hell in some places.what you thinking fb??

hainman
    Free Member

need to give me a shout when your heading up zedsdead

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Was thinking Carron Valley too, but probably won’t be able to get the car now.
    Alternatively, I fancy a bit of an explore round about Mugdock. We could go up over Craigton Moor and down into Mugdock from there.
    It’ll be muddy as hell though.

hainman
    Free Member

ive got car if you fancy carron valley tomorrow??im in drumry so could pick you up when i drop kid of at my mums in the mornin??or jaunt over the hills what ever suits you mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Kilpatrick Hills Routes?’ is closed to new replies.