Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Killing Ivy – how much SBK?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m getting rid of an old Ivy that’s grown 8’up the side on a building. Yesterday I drilled a hole at 45 degs into the main stem about 12″ up from the ground, pushed an open 60ml syringe into the hole, filled it with neat SBK and placed half a plastic bottle over the syringe to keep the rain out.
    This morning there was no SBK left so I added another 50ml which has gone already. As it’s going to take some time to see the effects, do I need to keep adding SBK or should about 100ml of neat poison do the trick?

andymc06
    Free Member

I’m in the process of killing a monster Ivy bush on my fence. I cut all the main trunks/stems, drilled them and poured neat weedkiller in. After a week the leaves are starting to turn brown. It takes time but seems to be working…..
    Edit
    To answer your question, that seems plenty just give it some time to see the effects.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We just cut it at the root, and pulled it off the wall.

Nothing’s grown back.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I sprayed mine with glyphosphate and it seems to have murdered it good and proper.

wrecker
    Free Member

I just chopped the main trunk, drilled loads of holes and poured in some pinky gunk stuff I got from the hardware store. Stoney dead for 7+ years now.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

For goodness sake don’t burn it when it’s cut down!!! Chap in work is covered in an allergic rash due to burning cut ivy on a bonfire. He googled his rash, apparently it is the worst thing you can do..
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/plants/

DaRC_L

Why all the Ivy hate?
    The main thing is to let it die back – before trying to rip it from the walls

thecaptain
    Free Member

Chop, saw, pull, poison all works. Not really that hard to get rid of IME, though can’t say yet how long it will stay dead. Be careful of damaging the pointing if you pull too hard, luckily mine is all on garden walls and trees. Have discovered some road signs that we didn’t know existed when we bought the house!

edit to answer above post: don’t particularly like it as it swamps everything else

timbur
    Free Member

Cut a good 2” chunk out of the main stem and leave everything above to die back. Once brown (can take a few weeks!) start teasing it off the wall. Wear eye protection as it’ll be dirty as you like. Best not to breath it in either as it’ll be a sneeze fest. As for the stump, SBK away on a fresh cut. Painting it on is usually enough but injecting it in sounds fun.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – I assume you’re American?

UK ivy isn’t the same.

Jamz
    Free Member

Why do you need to poison it? Whenever I’ve removed it in the past I just cut it off at the root, dug it out and then pulled the rest down when it has died off.

sharkbait
    Free Member

So I don’t have to dig it out 🙂

bamboo
    Free Member

The entire front of our house was covered in it, up to 1/2m deep. I just began pulling it and it pretty much came off as one big sheet of ivy. I then spent the next day doing 6 trips to the tip, each with a car full of ivy.

CaptainSlow

Ooo as SBK has been mentioned I’m going to work on the assumption that you’ve also used on brambles?

What’s the best approach? Cut them back and target the new shoots in the spring or will it be effective this time of year?

We’re talking head height so will need som chopping as I don’t fancy waving a water can filled with poison at head height.

Also, does the recc dosage on the box work or shoul I double it?

Also have elder and bindweed to deal with as well…

Ta

timbur
    Free Member

CS – brushcutter with a mulching head to make it all disappear easily.
    Then wait a week or two for new growth. Then treat.
    It works best on vigorous new growth at suggested mix!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Killing Ivy – how much SBK?’ is closed to new replies.