Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Killer Kielder – the ultimate endurance adventure challenge?
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Hi all,

After completing the kielder100 this year and once the aches and pains had subsided, I tried to think what might be the next big challenge after earlier in the year doing my first 24 hour solo. I was also inspired to think of something epic after seeing the achievements of the likes of Eddie Izzard and that iceman guy on the C4 programme.

Then I had a crazy idea, Killer Kielder 3rd Sept 2011:

– Kielder100
    – Kayak the length of the lake
    – Run the kielder marathon…

In one day!

Has anyone done anything similar? Any serious triathletes/dualathletes out there? I think it might be a fairly unique challenge.

I’d say I’m reasonably fit but certainly dont have any serious pedigree at either of the 3 challenges. I normally come middle of the pack-ish at biking races I do (maybe 10 events a year?). I’ve done the great north run once and have probably done as much kayaking as your average person i.e. once or twice whilst on activity trips at school or something. Last year I did a couple of off road dualthlons which were pretty tough but not any significant distance.

So, the question is, can it be done by someone like me??!! Would like to do it for charity as well. Any advice/guidance would be gratefully received.

cheers

Matt

MrSparkle

Nice idea but I don’t think thats the ultimate endurance challenge. Ever heard of the Deca Ironman?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Woh that Deca thing looks pretty crazy, perhaps I should rephrase to the ultimate one day challenge

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Bump for the day time crew

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Would’nt risk that for charity, would be a real sickener if you were timed out of 100 due to bad luck with punctures/mech problems etc.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Yes thats a risk I suppose, I have thought about that and would do the k100 with a mate who I’ve recruited who’s handy on the mechanical front.

Could possibly carry a few more spares than normal or arrange for them to be at strategic points maybe?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Things are now moving along nicely, have chatted to the the Forestry commission’s Recreation, Tourism and Communities Manager in the area who has been really supportive so far.

Twitter: @killerkielder

blog: http://killerkielder.blogspot.com/

Fund raising: http://www.justgiving.com/killerkielderchallenge

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Been offered a last minute place to do the kielder marathon on sundayby the calvert trust, tempting but doing the bike place octoberfest at kielder tomorrow. Will have to make a last min decision but since the great north run last year I’ve only run a max of 5 miles! Will find out either way tommorrow!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Octoberfest done, Marathon is on tomorrow! Seriously what am I thinking!

boxelder

How about the Paul Clavely triathlon – swim Coniston (5.3 miles), ride the Fred whitton and then stagger the Bob Graham.

If you think you’re hard enough

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Now thats a proper challenge! :mrgreen:
    I did the Bob Graham (many moons ago) and would not have fancied doing it after that swim (well I could’nt have done the swim 😳 ) and cycle!!!

ackie
    Free Member

Endurance Life Devon Coast to Coast EXTREME approx 140miles in one day.
    Run Cycle Kayak

http://www.endurancelife.com/

Starts 10pm
    9 mile trail run along exmoor coast
    55 mile road cycle across exmoor in dark
    5 mile trail run up Highest point in dartmoor
    25 mile road cycle through dartmoor
    25 mile MTB across dartmoor
    10 mile kayak down river dart
    19 mile trail run along coast
    Finish
    Pasty
    Bed

DNF last year.
    19th this year.
    Top 5 next year 😉

If you don’t mind hills and sleep deprivation it’s great fun 😈

ackie
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some dude that did the Kielder 100 on the Saturday then drove down to Bristol for the Half marathon on the sunday?

Weirdly that tickles my plums

Drac

Biff from outcast did the K100 and then went to Ulswater the next day for a triathlon

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Wow there’s some serious challenges amongst that lot!! The c2c looks mint. Ackie can I get in touch for some tips/general advice?! You should have plenty of that I guess!

Paul Clavely triathlon looks ridiculous but its over more than one day so doesnt count 😕

Kicked off killer kielder training with a bang yesterday ran the lot without walking at any point which was horrible at times, managed to finish in 4.33 though 🙂 but in work today 🙁

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Managed to sort out a domain registration

http://www.killerkielder.co.uk

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Killer Kielder – the ultimate endurance adventure challenge?’ is closed to new replies.