Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kielder Forest
  • forge197
    Free Member

Did the red today, certainly a long way up to the summit, though the 22 minutes or so from the top back to the car park is brilliant and makes the pain of the up worth while, really enjoyed it, plenty to go back and master too.

Hope the guy that was off to A&E is ok, a knee rock interface injury I think and some spilt claret.

duckers
    Free Member

I'm thinking about doing Keilder at some point over the next 2 weeks, any recommendations of bits to ride/avoid?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

its all good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    forge197
    Free Member

it's all good, I guess if the weather is bad I'd probably cut out the summit climb as there is an easy way to miss it, but the views are fantastic. Other than that just ride it and enjoy it.

duckers
    Free Member

F### it then, I'll do the lot! Bring it on!!

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

the blacks tremendus fun too

forge197
    Free Member

I've saved the black for next time…

abductee
    Free Member

The trail master in ahem another magazine suggests that it's

"well 'ard…constantly challenging…very rugged ride throughout…you,ll need to pack some momentum in order to carry you over the rocky sections…drawing on all your reserves of skill and fitness…etc."

We really are lucky to have the green, blue, red, black trail classifications so that you know exactly what to expect.

Where do you think it lies on a a scale of hamsterly red – brechfa red?

duckers
    Free Member

I noticed an article in this months MBR about guisborough woods…. I aint rode their for a while so think I'll pop along to tesco now and buy MBR (actually maybe I'll just pop along to my local 24 hour tesco, read the bit that interests me, and save my few spare pennies for ST instead,,,,)

GEDA
    Free Member

You could do the new red on the south of the lake and then the other on the north. They are not very technical but can be a bit gravely mind you that's the point of a trail centre though. Not technical so it is dangerous just technical so it is a bit more exciting.

abductee
    Free Member

Well the Keilder article in MBR reads more like the north face of the Eiger than a bit gravelly.

forge197
    Free Member

the one I rode today was more than gravelly. Maybe the other red their is more gravelly?

BillyBull
    Free Member

Having read some of the trailmasters reviews of things I've ridden I am not sure he is the authority they make out he is. Only my opinion. Kielder is OK but last time I was up it was wearing rapidly. Ride to top is not that exciting once you've done it once and black section is far better than red return but not that hard once you are pst the skinny bits.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i thought it was goooooooood…some big(ish) drops if ur going fast…the red is pretty technical (i think the red on the south of the lake is gravely)…i enjoyed the climbs quite abit…(except fireroad climbs)… its quite rocky like a mild stainburn. i did it twice last time cos i wanted to do the black bit…and it really makes u feel fit afterwards…but the top bit is only worth it on a clear day when the views r amazing and u dont need to be sheltered from the weather.

daveb
    Free Member

Heading down to Kielder for the first time in late October, looks like it should be good 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

Well compared to any Lakes, or Peaks trail I would say any trail center I have been on are a bit, well smooth. It has a few rocks and the trail has eroded a bit. The most technical bit are the rock slabs where the black and red split.

I actually like the run to the top of Dead water Fell as the run down is dead fast. They have got round to building a decent shelter at the top. Remember to use the bike shop at the garage instead of Purple Mountain at the car park as the guys at the garage actually helped build the trails then got screwed by FC.

Not sure if this is a good thing to say or not but you pay for parking at the main visitors centre/Trail head you don't have to park there though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kielder Forest’ is closed to new replies.