• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Kielder for the family?
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Is there anything in the Kielder Forest that would be suitable for a EASY family ride? We are camping near Lindesfarne next week and fancied a few days on the bikes. Any suggestions welcome.

When I say easy I mean flat.

Drac

Kielder is not exactly flat but the blue route is very straight forward. It’s about 150mile round trip though, I’d follow the costal route along the errr coast if I was you.

postierich
    Free Member

Took my family to Keilder a year ago they still have not forgiven me 😯

Northwind

The Borderline green trail is an old railway line I think. Lakeside Way is fairly long but would otherwise be fine- ignore the blue grading, it’s a green and is navigable by invalid carriages. (genuinely- the website warns “Visitors using a mobility scooter should ensure batteries are fully charged before setting off”. So not very tech)

jonba
    Free Member

You might be able to take a boat down the reservoir and cycle back along one of the lakeside paths. There are some interesting sculptures along the way too that might make it more interesting for kids.

The blue is fairly hard, certainly not flat. Never done the green.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The lake is Huge!! think twice before trying to do a lap.

Northwind

Yup, but there’s lots more options with Lakeside other than the 20-odd mile laps.

Drac

It’s about 27 miles around the perimeter.

legolam
    Free Member

26 hilly miles round the lakeside way. Did it on the hottest day of 2010 with a friend who hadn’t been on a bike for at least a decade. He still hasn’t forgiven me and hasn’t been on a bike since.

Kielder is also miles from Lindisfarne. And it’s not on main roads. Agree with the coastal ride idea!

grtdkad

Midges.

That is all.

grtdkad

Kielder is also miles from Lindisfarne. And it’s not on main roads

…it’ll tek a lang while

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Midges.

That is all

+ 1, Kielder Midges taught Scottish midges everything they know. Even though Kielder midges are younger, which is odd,

TooTall
    Free Member

Nearly 2 hours each way, not accounting for being stuck behind tractors?

If you hate your family, camping on the Northumberland coast and driving to Kielder a couple of times should let them know how exactly how you feel about them. Do other things.

paul4stones

Try the circuit of Greensheen Hill instead.

How old/keen are the family?

warton
    Free Member

you’re going from the far east to the far northwest of the biggest county in England, on little twisty roads. Don’t do it!

jota180
    Free Member

[pedant]

you’re going from the far east to the far northwest of the sixth biggest county in England, on little twisty roads. Don’t do it!

The title of biggest belongs to the mighty North Yorkshire

[/pedant]

🙂

stevio

we had a week @ Kielder over the first week of the Olympics – drove down from Bamburgh the same way you’d have to come (not much choice if you look on a map) . About a 2 hr drive as mentioned with very narrow twisty roads & 3 bikes on the roof. Drove back up to Alnwick one day – long drive both ways…

Most interesting part of the drive was going past a petrol station charging 1.59 for diesel, and i thoght the Isle of Man was the dearest place in the world for fuel 🙄

Kielder itself was a good destination (though my 15 yr old may disagree) – we did the Blue Osprey trail, plus the lake loop on a hot day. I also did the Lonesome Pine red route myself.

ahsat

Better option and closer to where you are staying is drive south to Embleton (you really need to probably drive a bit, as I tried riding along the B1340 the other day and it was SOOOO busy – not much fun with a load of tourists who dont know where there are going). Then ride to Craster, Howick and down to Alnmouth and back. You can wiggle about a bit and some some bits on some tracks, but most of it is on back country lanes. You can either come back the way you came, or go back on the B1339, which isnt quite as busy as the B1340 as cars are directed along that back to Newcastle.

andy8442
    Free Member

Thanks all. I think Kielder is out. Infact I don’t think I’ll even bother packing my bike, the weather forecast is looking pretty awful. I think it’ll be a week on the beach being british! Sarnies and a windbreak.

Drac

Don’t believe the forecast for this region it’s never right and varies massively within a few miles.

ahsat

varies massively within a few miles.

Agree!

paul4stones

Especially on the coast.

TooTall
    Free Member

Look up Rumbling Kern and Cullernose Point. Go there. My favourite spot on that entire coastline. Best exploring-rock-pools-and-stuff sort of place.

warton
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

[pedant]

you’re going from the far east to the far northwest of the sixth biggest county in England, on little twisty roads. Don’t do it!

The title of biggest belongs to the mighty North Yorkshire

[/pedant]

I stand corrected, I always thought it was the biggest, no idea where i got it from, probably just misplaced geordie pride 😳

coopersport1
    Free Member

Even after 10hrs on the bike on the K100 2yrs ago , I jumped in the van a drove away as fast as possible due to MIDGES! Proper broke me more than the ride!

Clink

Midges were more painful than the K100 for me too. I wouldn’t camp there in summer!

Inbred456
    Free Member

What about Rothbury and Thrunton woods. The loop at Rothbury is well known and Thrunton has lots of natural trails . Kielder is a bit of a trek from the coast. What about the trails around Berwick?

Drac

Thrunton woods is certainly not kiddy friendly, Carriage Drive at Rothbury once your at the top would be pleasant enough.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Kielder for the family?’ is closed to new replies.