Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • kielder 50
  • Murr
    Free Member

there is now a half version for anyone interested check out there site .

Drac
    legolam
    Free Member

Hmmm. Thinking about this one but need some advice.

Do you think this would be do-able for a first time racer? As a yardstick, I was up at Kielder yesterday and did the hike over to Newcastleton and back, including the trails at Newcastleton and the Lonesome Pine trail at Kielder on the way back. It was 41 miles in total and, although I managed it, the climbs were a world of pain from about 25 miles. I did it in 4hrs 40 mins moving time (just under 6 hours in total).

I think I could complete 50 miles, but I really don’t want to take part in a race if I’m just going to be in the way of everyone (mainly on the downs, but probably on the ups too). I could get a little fitter between now and September, but probably not a lot.

Any thoughts?

Drac

Hi Legolam,

you won’t be in the way of anyone it’s up to them to get past you, the route uses fire roads too not just singletrack so ample space for people to pass you. You should be fine entering the race and have a good few weeks to polish off some fitness.

Hope to see you there

jonba
    Free Member

legolam, you’d be fine. A bit more riding and event day extra boost will get you through.

Don’t worry about getting in people’s way as they’ll be able to get round you. Because it is a mass start the faster ones end up at the front very quickly anyway – people coming past you later on are going to be about the same standard as you.

FWIW I think the 50 will “cheapen” the event a little bit. One of the appeals of the K100 was that everyone was there together doing the same massive challenge. Part of the appeal for me was the elitist nature – flame away 😉

There is also a race series run up there by thebikeplace and the trail Reavers which has similar distance events. Last one is 20th October

http://www.kieldertrailreavers.co.uk/marathonseries

legolam
    Free Member

I guess that’s what I’m worried about – I’m not sure I’d be there for the racing, just the challenge (for me!) of finishing 50 miles of MTB.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I reckon the majority of people will also be there just for the challenge of finishing.
    Give it a go.

marvincooper

I wonder if there will be the option of finishing the 50 if you don’t make the cut-offs for the 100?

jonba
    Free Member

I wonder if there will be the option of finishing the 50 if you don’t make the cut-offs for the 100?

I wondered that but if I was going to do a 50mile route the first 50 of the 100 isn’t what I’d choose, the last 50 would be!

Drac

I guess that’s what I’m worried about – I’m not sure I’d be there for the racing, just the challenge (for me!) of finishing 50 miles of MTB.

That’s the reason a huge majority enter the K100 for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘kielder 50’ is closed to new replies.