Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • Kielder 100: Too early to form the gruppetto yet?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

You're welcome. Posted 2ish this afternoon, so you might be in luck. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I'm going to sneak into richpips's tent late at night. Warm and free.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i'm more going the take what i'm given food route.
    few gels/chews/bars in pockets before heading out!

jojo, go over there if yer still on <<<<<<

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm going to race in a camelbak and baggy shorts. Will I burn and die?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i may have a wee camelback… not sure yet!

lycra all the way though!

radoggair
    Free Member

Oooooh…… lycra it is then

Small Camelback as well here……….. in fact a medium sized one for me

How you feeling anyway Oli??

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

not too bad. recovered a bit from the weekend.

went running on tuesday, felt good, a steady 1st lap, then managed to put in some hard efforts 2nd time round. an hours running or so.
    was gonna be out tomorrow, but think i'll do some packing!

radoggair
    Free Member

went running on tuesday, felt good, a steady 1st lap, then managed to put in some hard efforts 2nd time round. an hours running or so.

Huh!! 2 laps of a track took an hour. Dude, wont be seeing you at the olympics any time soon 😛

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

haha, couple laps of the queens park in edinburgh, 3.2mile a lap, stopped chatting to a friend for a bit, plus getting out of the park to the car…
    aint too bad 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Bought my food yesterday:

Two bottles on the bike for water. Jelly sweets in one jersey pocket and broken up Geobars in another (or in 'tribag' on bike if it's wet). Spare food, waterproof and warm top in an Alpkit Gourdon 20.

warton
    Free Member

Lycra all the way, including a proper road jersey for me, no camelbak. Forecast looks like its changing, showers expected, but not consistent rain so we should get a chance to dry out.

My mate who works in the forests up there says the forest roads are very, very wet already, with two more days of hard rain expected, if we're going on any roads that have recently been used by the loggers, especially on the north side of Kielder expect the going to be very slow and sticky indeed…

paul4stones

Bit wet at the minute . . .

jojoA1
    Free Member

rear mud guard, should I/shouldn't I??? Will involve buying a new one if I do as I won't be going back to the house now…

warton
    Free Member

I would defos fit a rear mudguard, 10 hours of riding with spray going up your back will not be nice

MrSparkle

Mine's on.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Any recommendations on brand then? My Topeak one was pretty rubbish anyway, it had a strap thingy that kept working loose, so good opportunity to get a better one.

miketually
    Free Member

I have a rear mudguard that I might fit. I suppose there's no reason to not fit it, is there?

dot
    Free Member

I have a rear mudguard that I might fit. I suppose there's no reason to not fit it, is there?

Yes, the fashion please will lock you up 🙄

richpips
    Free Member

I have two mudguards and a bar bag. 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

Jo- I always use Crud for races. Bolts on so doesn't go anywhere and they are the best coverage.

If I can find mine I'm going to put them on.

miketually
    Free Member

I have two mudguards and a bar bag

I have handlebars off a shopper bike 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Yes, the fashion please will lock you up

I was thinking aloud. The mudguard's at the back of the garage, in a pile of mudguards and racks and I don't know whether I can be bothered fighting through to get to it 🙂

warton
    Free Member

Is anyone else starting to get a bit worried about the 8mph average speed?

richpips
    Free Member

Nope, just you. 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Oh Shucks – Entries seem to have closed – Dammit. And I was waiting to see what the weather was doing too.

radoggair
    Free Member

Dont think that'll be a problem unless you get 1 or 2 punctures, some mechanicals etc. Also make sure your stops at food pits are only about 5 mins long at the most

miketually
    Free Member

8mph might be difficult to maintain on a techy group ride, but on a race with lots of fireroads, it should be fine.

Not fannying about at the water/food stops will be the best way to maintain the higher speed.

warton
    Free Member

true true, I've set up my computer to run all the tim rather than stop every time I stop, so I can always adjust it as I see fit…

not long now, final shopping tonight, and packing, then off straight from work at 3ish tomorrow. see you all in the anglers arms at 5ish for a good 8 pints or so….

miketually
    Free Member

Less than 36 hours…

paul4stones

It was mentioned on the local news tonight. Also the new skills area will officially open on Sunday for those who are hanging around and want more 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Listening to the weather forecasts on R2 etc today coming up the M1, and the A1M is closed at the border area, all railway journeys have been suspended and the wind is casing all manner of bother in the nether regions.
    Thought I'd stop with friends in York tonight instead (Thursday) of camping on what must now be a marsh or even a wide estuary, formely known as Kielder Campsite. I am going to use my canoe instead on Saturday.

PS – There's new info on the official SIPs web site inc' a "Rules" Word Document

warton
    Free Member

Weather

Weather for Hexham, closest place. looks ok for saturday, and friday night, but we'll see

paul4stones

Hexham has its own microclimate 😉

creaser
    Free Member

I was up there yesterday very wet and soft on the fire roads but single track as normal probably better for being wet, expect some steep climbs and super descents

creaser
    Free Member

By the way Kielder campsite was under water!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Having spent the last two days in bed/being sick/watching the rain out of the window, I was pretty pissed off about missing this, but then again I'm not in a fit state to ride and the weather hasn't had me too inspired.

Forecast looking much better than of late mind… Southwesterly, 25-30mph, gusting 45mph, Overnight rain clearing to drizzle, extensive cloud, visibility poor in showers, sunshine at times… 8*C at 750m (ie not cold). (Anyone hanging around for a ride on Sunday, the wind looks like it might pick up a bit- forecast for gusting 70mph- should make the north shore on the open section of the black interesting).

Have a good one folks that are going. Should be fun.

Drac

Hexham has its own microclimate

And also a good way from Kielder.

miketually
    Free Member

"Joe Bastardi"!??

You'd change your name, wouldn't you? I daren't check out his column 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100: Too early to form the gruppetto yet?’ is closed to new replies.