Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Kielder 100 mile event.
  • dannymite1981
    Free Member

Anyone got any info on the kielder 100 mile mtb event as in is it enjoyable aswell as a killer endurance test,how long it would take a average rider and is it worth doing.thanks

miketually
    Free Member

An average rider won’t make the cut offs 😉

If the weather’s nice, it’s lovely and enjoyable. If the weather’s bad, it’s a Death March and enjoyable.

BadlyWiredDog

Some of the dullest riding imaginable ime. Way too much undulating fire road which turns to abrasive sludge in the wet. But its all subjective. If you like that sort of thing and get off on midges, you’ll enjoy it.

Oh, and I’m an average rider and I made all the cut-offs until the point where I snapped a brake lever and was left with a single 140mm rear brake…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    christhetall
    Free Member

Attempted 2 years ago and got eliminated after 78 miles. Weather was awful, had brake pad issues (didn’t everyone ?) and didn’t enjoy it at all.

Stubborness made me give it another go last year, weather much better, completed in just under 12 hours and really enjoyed it.

It’s almost entirely off-road but much of it is fire road. However there is a suprisingly high proportion of interesting singletrack and some nice swoopy sections.

Not sure if I’ll do it again this year. 2 years ago I really enjoyed training for it, meant I went exploring and discovered rides from home I hadn’t done before. Last year the training felt more of a chore, particularly with the rubbish weather.

jonba
    Free Member

You need to be able to ride at 8mph for 100miles. Probably best to get some miles in but it is doable.

In 2011 I would have loved to have a rear 140mm brake. As it was I did the last 20 miles with none. I ran down lonesome pine to make it to the finish.

Mate finished with one pedal. Lost it at 75 miles so rode on the spindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 mile event.’ is closed to new replies.