Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Kielder 100 back on for 2015?….. Anyone?
  • njee20
    Free Member

I’m not sure Gee’s Surrey 100 ever actually got raced did it? Cancelled due to bad conditions, and never rearranged, at least not publicly.
    Or maybe I just wasn’t told

He regularly does it, and provided the route to anyone else who wanted to, but it was never done as an ‘event’.

alansd1980

Any details on if this is returning or where to find out? Had signed up for 2013 which was obviously cancelled so really want to have a go!

ac282
    eddie11
    Free Member

Like the spinal tap naming 😆

Like keilder 100 but 1 better

c_klein87

oooo i’d like to give it another try with gears, not sure how i actually survived when i did it the first time, was cramping and freezing to death after 50miles, twas a long day

dazh

Bugger. I wasn’t anywhere fit enough a couple of years back to even think about doing it so thought I’d escaped but not sure I have that excuse if it happens this year.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If i dont see sense between now and registering i will be doing this.

adsh
    Free Member

Can’t see how to register?

warton
    Free Member

they need to open it up to CX bikes, surely?

andyr
    Free Member

Not open to register just yet.

Why did I see this? I have unfinished business with the 100: first time was ‘the wet one’ – with the mud and the mechanicals I missed the first cut-off by about 30 seconds. The next year I lost a water bottle somewhere along Hidden Valley in Newcastleton so gave up making the last check point and pulled out (didn’t fancy doing 20 miles with only 750ml of drink).

miketually
    Free Member

Started three, finished two: finish, finish, missed the first cutoff.

Won’t be going back.

dknwhy

I like the look of this. What’s the terrain like?

andyr
    Free Member

^ hilly, sandy, rocky, fireroads, some cracking singletrack, some less so, some natural off piste, great views. Midges.

If it’s wet say goodbye to the brake pads and drivetrain.

STATO
    Free Member

Think they are only doing the KM version this year, as a proving exercise i assume. Nothing to stop you doing an extra lap of the reservoir or two to top up the milage afterward.

richpips
    Free Member

Think they are only doing the KM version this year, as a proving exercise i assume.

Website says both KM and Miles courses.

More details to be released in the next day via @SeismicSportive

cp

interesting! reckon I could be up for this….

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

warton – Member

This and I don’t even own one!

GregMay
    Free Member

Hmmm ok, this interests me.

andyr
    Free Member

monkeyfudger – Member

warton – Member

This and I don’t even own one! [/quote]

Given the choice I’d choose a 29er HT / short travel FS like an Epic.

richpips
    Free Member

Any bike you like. Min tyre width 40mm. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

richpips – Member

Website says both KM and Miles courses.

Yes but he has been on twitter giving more details and said only Km likely this year, date now also confirmed as 5th September (was 12th but thats a date clash with Merida Marathon event).

cp

Now clashes with Helvellyn tri weekend. Bugger, was going to make a week long hol out of them 🙁

[edit]

and…

said only Km likely this year

well, unfortunately that’s decision made – Helvellyn instead.

Shame.

STATO
    Free Member

well, unfortunately that’s decision made – Helvellyn instead.

Hey, whats said on twitter dosnt always mean fact :lol:, the 101mile might run, as richpips posted above, we’ll find out for sure soon.

cp

thought this was coming from the horses mouth on twitter. OK, we’ll see!

Drac

Yup it’s Km so not the same as the whole point of the Kielder 100 was to have a 100 mile race in one day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its still 100 its just a metric one rather than an Imperial one…plus side is it a lot shorter

Drac

Ah right there is 2 people trying to get this running, this one seismic is a different one to what I meant.

benji
    Free Member

If it’s the 5th that clashes with SSUK and I’m not missing that raceparty

fasthaggis

Damn ,I thought this could have remained unfinished business 🙄

Still,I suppose September is far enough away for a training plan 😉

Drac

its still 100 its just a metric one rather than an Imperial one…plus side is it a lot shorter

Well they may as well do a 100 yds in that case then.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes they may as well do that 😕

Oh SSUK trumps that by a long long long way – though not the riding distance 😉

boxelder

OK, a bit a background for those interested. Seismic Events have been running really well reviewed road sportives for a couple of years now and we’re now branching out into off road events. We aim to re-establish a long single lap event in Kielder and restore the 100 mile distance next year with the Kielder 101 miles.
    Having ridden the K100 in the past and knowing the area well through Polaris and other events, we know some of the limitations that people feel the area and the event have. We want the Kielder 101 to be a Gathering or Challenge as much as a race and the idea is to allow any kind of bike, so that riders can make it what they want: a head down XC race, an mtb challenge with plenty of challenging singletrack, a ‘gravel race’ with bite.
    We want to keep the rules in the background, so ride what you like, so long as it has tyres that are at least 40mm.
    Yes, we know the trails can be ridden on a CX bike with 32mm tyres – we’ve done it, but fatter tyres will be no slower over this course, and will be safer. Nobody wants to get to the top of a long climb, to then be held up on the singletrack descent by skinny CX wheels. The 3 Peaks is a couple of weeks later if that’s what you’re after.
    That said, let’s get fat bikes and ‘monstercross’ bikes, SS and all the wheel sizes onto the course, which has maximium singletrack, linked by the better forest roads and even some short hike-a-bike.
    We want this to benefit the local community and to help to develop the trail network. We can complain about the apparent lack of decent trails in the area, or do something about improving them further. A lot of work has gone into this already, with most of it being on the riding and on laising with people on the ground (yes, we know the website and video/pics could be flasher).
    There should be a single lap 100 mile event for folk to challenge themselves on – and here it comes. 101km this year and we’ll use everything that we learn to make the Kielder 101 the must-do 101 miler in 2016.
    Entries open at the weekend and the first 101 entrants will go into a prize draw.

It’s about the ride and not the website but here you are

boxelder

Sorry if you fancy a go, but there something else on that weekend – it’s a pretty full calendar, and early Sept is the best time for this route.

…and thanks to Genesis, Cyclewise and other sponsors for support so far (others will follow…..).

djflexure

I’m really pleased about this. Kielder was my favourite event

richpips
    Free Member

Looks good. 🙂

FAIL
    Free Member

Excellent news. Even at “only” 101km it will still be a big challenge for me. Bring it on!

SSBonty
    Free Member

Another in the ‘shame it’s on the same weekend as SSUK’ camp here, maybe it won’t help this year but please make them not clash in future if possible!

boxelder

K101 will almost certainly be the first sat in Sept from now until the universe implodes. Sorry.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Good.
    I guess camping / caravanning will be allowed ?

boxelder

Discounted campsite booked.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 back on for 2015?….. Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.