Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Kielder 100: Achievable for mere mortals?
  • martinh
    Free Member

To answers Bonesetter's question. I had one 40 mile ride and a couple of shorter ones on the Paradox before the K100. Just about enough time to make sure it was comfortable and the bars were the right height.

Now I've got it back I know I would have been quicker on the Jones. Although the weights are within a couple of pounds it feels about half the weight and climbs like a goat.

dickydutch

jonB
    Im newcastle based (near enough). I ride virtually every day – would be good to have some one to ride with! Where abouts are you based? Let me know if you fancy it.

MS
    Free Member

I turned up to this event knowing that I would be capable of the distance as I do most of the No Fuss 10 hour events solo, which rack up more than 100 miles.

The start was annoying for me, the usual that it went off fast with alot of folk racing to the front then on the first small climb I got bogged down, before taking the outside line passing a large chunk of people!

I decided to ride with 3 fellow club mates, as we were all about the same ability. We did this because I knew there was no chance of winning so I wanted to ride and have a bit of fun in the process. Also we could help each other on through the bad patches.

Overall it was the hardest race I have done due to the conditions and the course. I think people under estimated what it was going to be like. Was a very well organised event but was disapointed by how many non finishers there was.

I managed to get in 9 hours 40mins in 14th place. I was very chuffed with that and maybe next year with knowledge of the course I could get into the top ten. Was a good weekend all in all, see you all next year! 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

but was disapointed by how many non finishers there was

why does it matter to you how many people finished or not? (speaking as a non finisher)

MS
    Free Member

I honestly really didnt care how many folk finished, but all the hype on here I think people vastly under estimated what they had got into.

Half the field di not finish, some for reasons that they could not help (snapped seatpost, freehub **** etc), but for those that did not finish was it the majority that you had under estimated what was in store?

I am not one for quitting and it would take a lot before I gave up, just ask about relentless if you want to know, but to me some just gave up to easily after to speaking to them after the finish.

Maybe I am just a tight **** that doesnt want to waste his entry fee! But I would have liked to seen more people finish it, more for there own personal achievement than anything else!

But good on those that had the balls to at least try it and there is something to aim for next year!

miketually
    Free Member

there is something to aim for next year

Apparently, the time cut offs are going to be tighter next year, which means I need to get faster.

warton
    Free Member

I don't think the limits will be tighter. just they'll be stricter on sending people back if they miss them. the figure of 130 finishers was nonsense. only 130 went through the 65 mile point according to the FC guy. I think if people got to the next c/p they were letting them continue, even though they were out of time. that won't be happening next year

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, I see.

martinh
    Free Member

The fact that the results don't contain times for CP4 may indicate that the cutoff wasn't policed. There's a simple way to confirm it.

We know Mike left CP4 just before the cutoff time and finished DFL. How many riders passed you on the final section Mike?

miketually
    Free Member

We know Mike left CP4 just before the cutoff time and finished DFL. How many riders passed you on the final section Mike?

I left CP4 at 5:15, and I believe the cut-off was 5:30.

A lot of riders passed me in the 25 miles from that CP to the finish. No idea on the actual number, but there were quite a lot – around a dozen just on the final boardwalk/descent to the finish, I'd guess.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

An enjoyable thread on STW! Trouble is,I'm getting the bug. Did a 50 mile off/on road challenge last Sunday,which I found tough…..and then double the pain…

charlierevell
    Free Member

I agree with Raddogair…. RIDE A LIGHT(ISH) BIKE!
    Weighed my Orange when I got back and it was 32lbs. Wish I'd taken the whyte at about 24lbs with a saddle that was bedded in, where as the Orange was 100miles old.

miketually
    Free Member

Bike-wise, a rigid singlespeed is the way to go.

Hedgehopper

Don't know if its been mentioned already but online entry is now open.

clubber
    Free Member

Bike-wise, a rigid singlespeed is the

only in order to finish DFL ( though fair play for actually finishing 🙂 )

Anthony
    Free Member

Cheers for the head's up HH, I'm in for '10 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

As a pointer, I completed 11 (it would have been 13 but for my oppo' puking and then dozing off again in the wee small hours) at Bonty 24. We came 10th in the men's Vets pairs team.

I'd almost be better off doing Bonty 12 next year and try for more speed.

On the Peaks Summer Polaris in 2009 I came 1/3rd (can't recall my actual position) on my first attempt. Solo. Without a map board which was dumb & slowed me up somewhat!

These will not be a high enough level of speed and fitness for the MK100 in 2010 IMHO. A sobering thought for me too.

Anyone else got examples of well attended races / events that can be used as "gauges" that they rode in 2009 that might in some way help others equate how they prepared to ride 100 miles XC & how they found the ride at Kielder?

Hope this helps.

martinh
    Free Member

Ti29er: was it you assembling your bike by the shop on Friday evening rummaging around for the right disc pads chatting to an American guy and me?

My advice would be gets lots of time out on a bike. Nothing else prepares you for riding 10+hrs. If you haven't done a 10-12hr ride before then do so. You need to a have a plan on how to get through the mental downs.

And I'll second miketually – get a rigid SS, it's the only way to go. Thats my plan for 2010.

miketually
    Free Member
    Ti29er
    Free Member

Martin, yep, that was me.
    The good looking one would have been the only description you would have needed to mention!
    SS? Not for me, but hving never tried one….
    No to fully rigid if you value your hands and wrists and arms and shoulders and chest! That's a massive beat-up for sure.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Can I suggest this as a reasonable test on the 10th of May?

121 km in the Chilterns

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100: Achievable for mere mortals?’ is closed to new replies.