Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Kielder 100
  • dickydutch

50 bloody quid to enter?! Fair enough they’re providing a hot feed station, and such a big event obviously takes a lot of organisation and planning, but surely it can’t justify a 50 pound entry fee?! I was dead keen for this event – not so sure now!

uplink
    Free Member

The midges will probably kill you anyway – so you won’t miss the £50

😀

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

dont be such a cheapskate! £30 for most XC races, £50 for a race 5-6 times longer, cheap if you ask me, considering you get “race entry, energy drink at feed stations, water, fruit and snacks, one hot food station at halfway, goody bag and race momento for finishers”.

support it, we need races like this in the UK

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

50p a mile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im with trev.

unfortunantly i might not have the cash to enter but i may be able to convince the missus i NEED to do it for my sanity 😀

we need more long races , been a big fan of the american “hundys” for a long time.

selkirk merida nearest thing we have atm at 88k…..

paul78
    Free Member

Trev, you must be earning too much cash…

I personally think £50 is alot for an entry fee… a justification of costs would be good.. most racers wont be too interested in drinks and snacks as they will use their own personal preference.. a good course, good timing system and quickly posted results are what i want from any race.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“most racers wont be too interested in drinks and snacks as they will use their own personal preference”

if you can carry enough on you for a hundy without stopping whilst going at race pace (its still a race at the end of the day).

how long do you think we will be out on course for say ….. 6-8 hours for the fast guys and 15 hours + for the slow guys ? fair bit of wedge getting a 100 mile course sorted time and tape. Then marshalls and first aid for the duration….

I mean 10 under the ben was 45 quid this year for 10 hours , no feed stations and a pre race meal …. cracking race though and atmosphere

mrmo
    Free Member

what sort of terrain is kielder? obviously not the alps, and i assume not norfolk flat either.

As for price, £50, yes it is pricey but if the event is good then it is fine, Cristalp is 100CHF.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did a fell,orienteering and mtb race down that way at the start of the year … rolling steep hills in the part i was in ..but big place !

paul78
    Free Member

SSUK09 was best race ( maybe fairer in general to call it an event) i’ve been too this year… £20 entry… free t shirt, pint glass, evening meal, camping, roller racing, live band, unbelievable course which didn’t have a single complaint, best atmosphere, unbelievable prize list…

Entry fee isn’t directly related to the quality of a race..

And yes if i do it i will be carrying everything i need for the race.. and will definately be trying my best to go at race pace albeit with one gear…

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Paul, i wish! any way, need to talk to you about that merida abroad…..

dickydutch

Not sure I agree with the idea that more miles equals greater cost. You can enter a sportive at 100 miles with food, energy gels and drinks etc at 4 stations, yet this costs twenty quid. How is it justified to increase the cost by more than 100% because its offroad? Im not saying I wont be entering – just find 50 quid to be steep. whats cost of entering Leadville or similar?

marty
    Free Member

whats cost of entering Leadville or similar?
    USD250

Next?

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.aukweb.net

for all your cheap endurance thrills !

dickydutch

You going to be there then Marty? Just fail to see how 50 per entry is justified. Im not saying its wrong or unjust. A hot meal per person and a t-shirt etc, plus some tape to direct the occasional section of the route doesnt cost 50 quid does it?! Most races cost 20-30 pound and im sure dont require 100% more organisation, man power or resources.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Keilder is a long way from anywhere, and the roads to it aren’t exactly great. The logistics of getting stuff and staff there will increase the costs.

marty
    Free Member

You going to be there then Marty? Just fail to see how 50 per entry is justified
    Yup. Entered earlier. £50 is fine for me for an event like this.

Once you start organising races (I’ve been part of putting on two), you realise why they cost what they do. Looked at doing a biggish “backcountry” loop (c 35 miles) for the 2nd of these, but costs and logistics put us off.

There’s a lot more to it than photocopying some entry forms and buying a roll of hazard tape.

Insurance
    Permission (Forestry / landowner)
    First aid
    Toilet hire
    Marshalling
    HQ (hire / easy-ups / marquees)
    Catering
    Course markings (tape / signs)
    Goodies
    Prizes

Get the drift?

grumm
    Free Member

The Kielder Avalanche Enduro was only slightly less, 50 euros, and there wasn’t much in the way of freebies on offer.

It did seem fairly well organised though and I would definitely do it again.

If it’s on the trail centre routes there, the terrain is pretty rough and quite eroded for a trail centre imo – there are some really good descents, especially the black section with some nice dropoffs and jumps.

miketually
    Free Member

Looks like being a great event on a good course – the site hints at heading over the border to Newcastleton and back.

The brother of a friend is looking at doing this, so if I can cadge a lift off him I’m very interested in having a go.

As far as cost goes, it’s the same weekend as the local 100 mile road ride, which is only £3 🙂 All you get for that though is a photocopy of a road atlas, onto which you highlight the route yourself 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Just come from the other thread, thought about entering, sounds interesting, but not for £50!

How much is the Selkirk Merida

trail_rat
    Free Member

selkirk is 30 quid ….no timing , you only get food at feed stations if you are quick !(learnt that quickly in my first year doing the 100k)
    and its only half the distance!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Maybe the number of people you expect to enter comes into it as well- I daresy it’d be less if it was an event that several hundred or a thousand people will enter.

Comparisons with Meridas are a bit off- they’re not races and I wouldn’t be surprised if that in itself makes it harder and therefore more expensive to organise.

jimster
    Free Member

Compared to Solo entry fee at Mayhem cheap.

stevemakin
    Free Member

£50, cost of a premier league football match ?

it seems reasonable to me given all that it takes to organise as marty says, plus its not unreasonable that the people who do step up to organise make some money from it.

SSUK is a very different sort of event to any other race

dickydutch

I am starting to reconsider my opinions. I know its the first of its kind etc and it takes lots of organising – maybe a bit of a knee jerk reaction at seeing £50 for one race. what was entry at mayhem by the way for solo?

martp
    Free Member

Anyone know where the start is or where the nearest/best campsite is? (no links for campsites on there site) £50 seem a good price to me…!:D

trail_rat
    Free Member

mayhem entry was 65 quid last year from memory. Good race it was too … wouldnt hesitate to enter it again (had i been in the country when entrys went live id have done it this year too )

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Look under local info for all details on campsites etc

http://www.sip-events.co.uk/kielder-local.html

crazy-legs

Costs as what Marty said ^^
    There's a hell of a lot goes into organising a big race like that, £50 is pretty good IMHO.

dickydutch

this is an old thread. my mind has ben changed as previously stated. It isn't as over priced as I initially thought!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Just registered Bargain! and for all you gutted about the pricetag t's actually £51 with the booking fee lol

dickydutch

and ive already paid up for next years event!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.