• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kids xmas bike
  • therag
    Free Member

Looking to order my 7 yr old son’s new bike.
    He is tall for his age and riding quite quite confidently atm, looking on line at
    carrera blast 24″ £200 &
    Cube kid 240 £330
    Any others worth considering, i have seen specalised and scott make kids bikes but Is it worth spending the extra?
    He will be riding paths and parks for the next year or so, but this size will last him years.
    Cheers.

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 carrera blast, awesome bike for the money, really well built.
    my boy loves it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cheap 24″ to see him through to a 26″ or splash out on an isla and get most of your money back later.

Big-M
    Free Member

This… my youngest is now riding it, great bike..
    .islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn26.html]

clunker

Guys above beat me too it.

All my three children ride Islabikes. Good resale value too.

Big-M
    Free Member

Yep, both my lads have ridden the Beinn, chuck on some drop bars & road shifters and you’ve got a road bike as well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59383652@N02/5685876007/

flyinbrian
    Free Member

got a scott scale 24 jnr 2012 here for sale hardly used if you interested 260 plus postage

therag
    Free Member

I’ll take a look at the Islas now.
    Sorry fly that’s too much for 2nd hand, £322 new

docrobster
    Free Member

Carrera blast here. Bought Xmas 2010 when he was 9
    I was probably going down the islabikes route but sunny boy was swayed by suspension forks, discs and more gears!
    Brakes were pants so now has juicy 3’s on.
    Front shifter too stiff for his little hands to use. Best left in middle ring.
    Bottom bracket now loose ( loose ball type) and the drive side cup is stuck fast in the frame so I can’t get it out to adjust it or replace with a un54.
    Heavier than his mates hotrock 24 but he manages ok. Seems to handle twisty woodsy stuff well.
    Will last another year before he’s ready for a 26er I think.
    Great value really.

matt1986
    Free Member

Genesis do nice kids bike they have the core it looks amazing

therag
    Free Member

Those genesis do look trick, but over budget

Alex

Another one for Islabikes. Just sold the last one as my kids have outgrown them, but really well designed, light and capable off road even fully rigid. You know we all used to ride like that 😉

br
    Free Member

Trek MT220, very adjustable, strong and controls perfect for small hands (grip-shift).

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

had a 20 isla bein from new, excellent bike and as already posted great re-sale value – must get round to selling it!

now my son has outgrown it i looked at new again, even one of those carera (cheap as chips second hand) but went with, from stw, a used but mint scott scale 24. i could easily have passed it off as new. think i paid about 170quid.

kimmage
    Free Member

Hi Gav. I have a 6 yr old who is badly in need of a 20″ bike. If you are considering selling the bein could you give me some details please? Cheers, John.

therag
    Free Member

Picking up the carrera blast today after finding out an old mate works in halfords, so 10% off. I did want to buy the cube from lbs but couldn’t really justify spending over £300 on a toy that probably won’t get much use until summer. Also ordered a zooom balance bike for youngest from lbs.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of Carrera Blasts on ebay earlier this year for sensible money – never seen the point of buying brand new for kids. Great VFM bike

My eldest is on a Spesh Hotrock 24 – he didn’t like the colour of the Blast.

Ridgebacks are a good option – MrsMCTD is on the petite side and rides a 24″ one

ianv
    Free Member

If it was me, I would go for a Scott voltage 24.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kids xmas bike’ is closed to new replies.