Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Kids these days….
  • oink1
    Free Member

Don’t know how bloody good they’ve got it! All these after school clubs, extra activities, school arranged holidays etc. When I was a nipper I was lucky If I got a quid for the school disco! 😀 And the ones who’ve been lucky enough to have received some sort of private education – might be loaded up to the hilt with qualifications but ABSOLUTELY no common sense. Grinds my gears! And the sense of entitlement to the latest & greatest iPad/iPhone off their inevitably ‘busting a gut to pay the bills’ parents 😯 Need a good clip round the ear. I woke up in a not to great mood btw! 😆 I await your thoughts/comments/derision.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My kids are sound, it’s how I’ve dragged them up I suppose…

Pook

My three year old described in great detail the other day how “we don’t need pennies” to buy a huge helium balloon in the newsagent’s as “you and mummy can drive up very fast, let me out, I’ll run in, pick it up before the woman sees, run out, jump in the car and you and mummy drive away”.

A bright future awaits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oink1
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    My kids are sound, it’s how I’ve dragged them up I suppose…

This I think is a key point (In a good way!)

Pook – Member
    My three year old described in great detail the other day how “we don’t need pennies” to buy a huge helium balloon in the newsagent’s as “you and mummy can drive up very fast, let me out, I’ll run in, pick it up before the woman sees, run out, jump in the car and you and mummy drive away”.

A bright future awaits.

Just lol! 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s true though, talk of I pads, phones etc is usually met with explain why? Yes they both have iphones but bought by me when I deemed they were needed, none of this I need the latest version etc as that one is fine. Laddo has just got an xbox one, bought with every penny of his own saved up money. I bought him a duel charger thing as he’d done well in first week at big school.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

as he’d done well in first week at big school.

Xbox one a bit much for a kid in reception class surely

Drac

Corrrr! Big School

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

dont worry about the kids they are just the tip of the iceberg.. see the rest of the human population

the sense of entitlement to the latest & greatest iPad/iPhone

Substitute the ipad/ iphone with house, car.. even job for more that 26k

These kids are smart its just we have ruined the environment for them explore and expand as human beings

jekkyl

What’s set you off Op? drinking last night were we?!

Cougar

These kids are smart its just we have ruined the environment for them explore and expand as human beings

Quite. I don’t think it helps that a certain subset of the Baby Boomer generation seem to spend half their lives telling the Yoot of Today how shit they are, neatly avoiding the fact that it was them who ****ed it up for the rest of us in the first place.

ThePilot
    Free Member

It’s my nephew’s s birthday today.
    I texted him a couple of weeks ago to ask how he was, how his summer holidays had been and what he wanted for his birthday.
    He came back to me almost immediately with two requests. Nothing about his holidays or general wellbeing.
    Today I called him to wish him happy birthday.
    Call was ignored. And, if past years are anything to go by, I won’t get even so much as a thank you text for the gifts.
    He is 18 in three years time. I am going to put an end to present buying then. Can’t bloody wait.
    So yeah I agree with you OP. Kids, bloody awful things!
    There are some nice ones I know but also many many horrors.

Cougar

He is 18 in three years time. I am going to put an end to present buying then. Can’t bloody wait.

Why wait? Bollocks to the ungrateful git, teach him an important lesson about life.

km79
    Free Member

^This.

15 is plenty old enough to be told to GTF by an uncle.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I was sat in McDs (don’t throw poo) after me and my eldest (7) had been playing on the pump track for ages this morning. Lad around the same age as him sat by us with friends and had an iPhone 5!! He was saying that he got his first iPhone at 5 and was getting an iPhone 7 😯 He was also talking about his YouTube channel and playing with his computer. I was like WTF?!?! I’m glad my lads enjoy riding bikes, playing etc as I couldn’t cope with a bedroom dwelling nerdlet and I like computers!!

Bunnyhop

Mmm, I get annoyedby the lack of a thank you. In these days of communication its not hard to text, phone, or email a thank you for a gift.
    I have to do without many things to give presents, so to not get a thank you makes me quite angry.
    As children we were made to handwrite thank you letters to relatives and friends of our parents for any gifts we received.
    Oh and don’t get me started on lack of manners, mostly table at the table – shudder.

doris5000

well they must have learned it from somewhere. slaughter all parents IMHO

anagallis_arvensis

As a counter a lot of kids are awesome,many I teach are. Some are rude self entitled idiots. Come parents eve guess what the great ones parents are like and guess what the idiots parents are like.

g5604
    Free Member

I am always battling in laws over this. Apparently my son had to have presents on his sister’s birthday so he did not feel left out, what a load of bollocks.

They also gavee him an iPad as he “needed to learn to use one for school” – I gave it back with a fight

jamj1974

Quite. I don’t think it helps that a certain subset of the Baby Boomer generation seem to spend half their lives telling the Yoot of Today how shit they are, neatly avoiding the fact that it was them who ****ed it up for the rest of us in the first place.

So true Cougar.

akira

Two of my boys get presents on each others birthdays, I think it’s spoiling them but the wife insists. Twins are a real pain.
    They do play on the computer and watch TV bit also have swimming, football and cycling every week and play outside quite s bit. No phones until they’re older and they have an old iPad they get to use occasionally but only in moderation. Also I teach them to swear at any grumpy old men they see, keeps me happy.

monkeychild
    Free Member

a lot of kids are awesome

I totally agree with you. The kids who looked a bit rough and ready at the local park and BMX track were really nice and respectful and didn’t swear around my kids. I had a great chat with them and they encouraged my lad and let him have a go on their rocker bmx. Absolute stars!!

The kids of a similar age who live on my estate (middle classville) are little shits who are cheeky and rude.

fin25
    Free Member

Yep, let’s blame teenagers for society’s ills. 🙄

brooess
    Free Member

Kids copy their parents, surely? Hard to blame them for the culture of consumerism when they’re not even in the workforce yet, making the commercial and legislative decisions that frame the choices we all have…

It’s us that’s created the world they’re living in.

Drac

Both my kids have iPads the schools provide homework that can the complete on them, my eldest has PS4 too and an iPhone. She spends as much time outside as she does in if not more, I get bored of people kids sit in all day playing on consoles. It’s only true in a handful of cases, no different to the kids that never played out when we were young.

CountZero

When I was a nipper I was lucky If I got a quid for the school disco!

There were school discos? 😯
    When did that happen? I clearly led a deprived childhood. 🙁

barkm
    Free Member

it’s just a perception, and simplistic in the extreme. Children are unfairly the object of criticism for this type of behavior for two main reasons; the ‘idea’ that kids understand the value of nothing, because they don’t know what it is to earn something, and secondly that ‘we’ had it worse than they do today.

Truth is, this behavior is arguably more prevalent in adults. And they have no excuses.
    Nevertheless, we’re all products of a society that conditions us to behave this way.

oink1
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    What’s set you off Op? drinking last night were we?!

Hell no! 😀 End stage kidney failure. Allowed 1.5l max between dialysis sessions – this includes any liquid in food etc! My days of drinking anything but small cups of tea are long dead. Just to make it clear – I wasn’t wishing to bash any particular kiddy winks, Just that some don’t have any appreciation of what they have/receive. .Thank-you is so easy 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strange, when I was at school I remember a decent number of obnoxious, lazy kids who had no real interest in the outside world and had low aspirations of mostly looking forward to a giro etc. but knew every shop that would sell them fags and could shoplift booze with incredible skills, back in those days it was video nasties and whatever else that was to blame.

johndoh
    Free Member

I agree about all the clubs! We have twins (aged 7) and they do Brownies, swimming (on top of my taking them at the weekend and school lessons), gymnastics, horse riding (one of them) and singing/acting classes (the other one). They are also about to start music lessons. I think it is too much but my wife says they should get all these opportunities. When I was a kid I did Cubs and the occasional swimming trip with my dad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chatting to Mrs Grips this morning about gifts.. she’s mentioned many times before that the (not well off) parents of my daughter’s schoolfriends shower their kids with a ridiculous volume of Christmas gifts. They still have *unopened* gifts from last year, that’s how little they care about things. So what’s the point?

Some kids’ lives seem to be centered around ‘stuff’.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Kids copy their parents, surely?

Yes, they do, but there are a lot more influences than just parents. My eldest boys are really in football and they didn’t get that from me 😆

Serious point being that I’ve noticed behaviours developing in my boys that must have come from friends/classmates at school, because they certainly haven’t come from me and the missus. Parents can’t control everything.

johndoh
    Free Member

My brother-in-law used to bemoan all the other kids at his kids’ schools having everything they wanted (phones, iPads etc) and would go on about how wrong it was, how the kids didn’t understand the value of stuff, how it effected his kids etc etc.

At the time he didn’t have very much money (so much so we used to give him old TVs, stuff like that). But he had a very fortunate turn of events and is now on pretty good money and now his kids (10, 8 & 6) all have iPads (proper ones, not cheap tablets), the eldest two have iPhones, they all have Fitbit Blazes (yes – a 6 year old kid with a Blaze) and various other crap.

Saying that, he still has very deep pockets when it comes to anyone else such as when we wanted to club together to get his mum something really nice as a thank you for organising a lovely weekend away for the family (all paid for) and he said he couldn’t afford to give much.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…he said he couldn’t afford to give much

Maybe he’d spent all his budget on the latest iPhone 7 for his kids

ads678

My son turned 8 in July. He wanted a road bike but I hadn’t long built him new MTB that cost me far more than most other 8 year olds bikes cost. So we said if he still wants a road bike at Christmas or next birthday we’ll look into it. And he took it on the chin and was happy with the pressies he got.

He also got a load of money £150ish for his brithday and we said “don’t just blow it on the first thing you see in toys r us lets wait and buy some thing decent”. Again he took it on the chin and carried on.

Last week we went to Decathlon and picked up his new road bike that he bought with his brithday money he’d saved from July and money made from sales of old Thomas the Tank Engine toys he’d grown out of.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sorry I missed the start of this… I was busying picking up a iPhone for my Son’s 11th birthday next week.

Kids get stuff, kids have always got stuff, there’s more stuff about these days, but stuff is relatively cheaper than is used to be. The Nintendo NES system cost £200 when in launched in the UK in 1985 – about £450 in today’s money – PS4 is £250.

But a lot of Kids do get spoilt, every Xmas Eve my FB is awash with pictures of Xmas trees, they’re meant to be about reminiscing of years gone by when the parents were kids, but it’s bullshit the focus is on the big pile of presents – it’s a crass display of “look how much I spent, I really love my kids, so I’m better than you” and I think in these days of social media a lot of the desire to go mad at Xmas is down to fear of not looking like you’ve bought enough love, rather than a desire to spoil them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is he now saving up for a haircut? Youth of today, indeed. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Maybe he’d spent all his budget on the latest iPhone 7 for his kids

Exactly – too busy playing ‘look at me, I’m flash with the ££££s’

ads678

Is he now saving up for a haircut?

He’s going for the Peter Sagan look!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Kids get stuff, kids have always got stuff, there’s more stuff about these days, but stuff is relatively cheaper than is used to be. The Nintendo NES system cost £200 when in launched in the UK in 1985 – about £450 in today’s money – PS4 is £250.

But these days (as is often the case) siblings get one games machine each (which means a TV each and often even the same games each). When I was a kid we got a Grandstand console (the less successful challenger to the Atari) to share between the three of us and even then we only got it because my dad worked in the electronics business and (as we live in Harrogate) he had contacts at the importers (Adam Technology).

I do think kids (including mine) get too much these days. I would give my kids much less than they get but my wife doesn’t quite share the same sentiment.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Good lad, maybe one day he’ll ride like Sagan too. Avoided posting on here cos moaning about kids getting too much/being rude etc is basically saying look what an utterly useless generation of parents/grandparents we are. It’s not their doing is it? Dumbarses. Kidz rool, end of.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Kids these days….’ is closed to new replies.