Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kids swimming lessons and re-enrolment queuing woes
  • sgn23
    Free Member

On Sunday I have to queue up for 2-3 hours at my local public pool to get my son into the next class up in his swimming lessons. Some classes are over-subscribed, there’s no telling which though, so if you want a place you have to do this. The council have failed to deploy any brain power to devise a better system.

So swimming parents, how does your council pool deal with this?
    Any suggestions I can put to the council?

scaredypants

join a club instead ? they usually use the council pools just at different times

matt_outandabout

It is a difficult one / a pain, been there and had the keeping them down despite being waaay better, or moved up before they should have been etc.
    We gave up on the poor standard of teaching at our sessions eventually – having said that it was all at a place where all three lads could swim a reasonable length in various strokes.
    We make a point of going swimming as a family every fortnight or so, and the agreement is that we swim a few lengths to start. I also have ‘games’ that we play swimming, which actually is a covert way of practicing.
    Having said that, biggest boost to their swimming was this:

Swimming in Loch Tay and Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

IMGP3247 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

edlong
    Free Member

With ours, there seems to be a weird two-tier approach whereby, if you are in the system, rebooking and changing classes is easy, but if you are trying to get your kid in for the first time, you need to be there at 7 a.m. on the right day and prepared to wait several hours even then, otherwise you’re on the “waiting list” which in reality means you aren’t getting swimming lessons this term, try again in four months..

sgn23
    Free Member

My son’s five, so the local club’s not an option yet scaredypants.
    Great photos matt!

geoffj

In Perth, there is a waiting list to get into the system, but once in you progress with ease as long as you pay in the advertised payment weeks fr the next block of lessons. If you fail to pay during payment week you lose your space and have to return to the waiting list. It seems to work pretty well.

takisawa2

Our two are in the system but what annoys me is having to pay for the Sept-Xmas lessons in June.

TiRed

Tell the council to raise the price by 300% and issue these

Seriously, it’s a pretty good book.

shreck
    Free Member

Dies your club not take five year olds,I’m a swimming teacher at our local club where I volunteer and we take five year olds,and I teach swimming a few hours a week at the school pool which helps pay for bits of bikes.

Crag
    Free Member

Similar story to edlong here. Was a nightmare getting my 2 in but once in the system it’s not too bad. Coming from privately run lessons, pleasantly surprised to find that the standard of lessons is impressive too. Leeds City council (Morley) by the way.

mrhoppy

I joined the local gym, nicer facilities, easier to book into the classes and works out about the same price and I get to use all facilities as well.

Harry_the_Spider

Trying to book my lad into council lessons as he has now finished his private ones.

There would appear to be plenty of faffing on the horizon. 😕

I’ve got his name down and have to join the phone queue in a couple of days.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

York Council appear to have this fairly well sorted at the Sports Village.
    Each child is continually assessed and when they have reached a sufficient level they are transferred to the appropriate class. The kids progress faster and it keeps new enrollments turning over as well.
    You can login and access reports of how your child is doing, which is a bonus.

It’s a real improvement over the old manual system where even paying was a chore.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kids swimming lessons and re-enrolment queuing woes’ is closed to new replies.