Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Kids sports day.. dads race
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I remember the dads race on one particular year where I lined up in my suit and smart shoes lined up next to sporty dad in his track suit and is also a complete knob so I gritted my teeth and went for it, as we reached the finish line sporty dad and I were neck and neck for the win until the sole of my shoe split in true Charlie Chaplin style and sent me flying over the line, it was declared a draw but mutterings from the parents about my bad form diving for the line. I had to hold my shoe aloft to prove my innocence.

Rscott
    Free Member

If you win All you have to remember is second place is first place for loosers and make sure everyone else knows this.I am sick of hearing that its not about the winning its about the taking part, this just enfforces lazy people to put minimum effort in and get buy.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

This thread just gave me another reason to add to my sizable list of reasons to never have kids.

NZCol

A few years back i was almost roped into a ‘school golf day’ thing for my friends boy (he’s 11). His dad isn’t around any more and when i can I step in for stuff like this. I ended up being overseas so his grandad stepped up to the plate as he golfs as well. His playing partners were named Faldo and Montgomerie as their kids are in the same class ! Thank the lord i wasn’t there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did my first one on Friday. Never been any good at running but wanted to give it a go for my daughter to see.

Gonna wear shoes with lugged soles next year, BMX trainers with smooth soles were not the best on the grass. Nearly took a spill.

I’m in the light-coloured long sleeved shirt and dark trews…

There are a few dads out of shot ahead of me unfortunately – my daughter’s friend’s dad won. He’s quite a serious amateur runner and told me a story about his former Team GB runner pal who snapped a hamstring in a dads’ race.

🙂

Northwind

My dad stopped halfway along a dad’s 100m race for a fag. My mum went apeshit, he claimed he was a conscientious objector. So there’s your low tide mark 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m worried about what’ll happen to me when it’s my turn for this…
    You’ll get overtaken?

Well.. yes..! Sometimes I have a problem with competitiveness… 🙂

I’m up on Thursday…

glupton1976
    Free Member

I may have won my kids race, whilst crossing the line backwards wondering where everyone else was. But then I do wear trackies and trainers every time they see me at the school.

marsdenman
    Free Member

is surprised to read that no one has yet competed, with mobile in pocket, in order that they are then able to set the event up as a Strava segment ….. 😉

stimpy
    Free Member

My youngest’s (primary) sports day was last week.

Egg and spoon race for the mums. Sack race for the dads.

Only one way to have a sack race and ‘serious’ does not feature as a descriptor 😀

Managed to swallow dive over the finish line though… 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Only one way to have a sack race and ‘serious’ does not feature as a descriptor

You forget who you’re dealing with here. I have in fact worked out the optimum technique for sack races, it’s very effective…

stimpy
    Free Member

What sack for…?

mark90
    Free Member

Just back from school sports day. All that training wasted as there wasn’t Dads race, even worse there wasn’t a yummy mummys race either. And to top it all off there was no bar / boooze 🙁

Still it was a nice couple of hours in the sunshine watching my little girl 8)

beefheart
    Free Member

At sports day right now.
    A couple of hours of rubbish to sit through before the big event.
    It gives me time to psych out the opposition before I annihilate them.
    Seems every dad is wearing trainers today.

DezB
    Free Member

Good luck beefheart! Show em who’s da boss.

2nd July for mine er, sorry, my son’s!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

IME, the dads’ race is like a charge of unruly elephants, quite chilled out elephants mind.

The mums’ race on the other hand brings new meaning to the word “compettive” – running shoes and pointy elbows a-go-go 😉

Mintman
    Free Member

A Dad in my street used to train for the annual Dads 100m dash for a couple of weeks before the big event.

One of the local teachers rumbled him the other year and without warning it became an egg and spoon race – competitive Dad was not best pleased!

beefheart
    Free Member

Touchy feely, namby pamby politically correct bullshit!

They cancelled the dad’s race at my son’s school this afternoon, because ‘the parents get too competitive’!!!

What kind of message are they sending these children?

Oh, it’s ok, don’t worry about trying to succeed, you might upset the stupid, fat children.

Life is competitive if they hadn’t noticed!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That explains the mediocrity we see in English sport

DezB
    Free Member

At my sons sports day now… What a shambles! Anyway, don’t think they will have parents’ races.
    Especially not with some of the odd parents here… Bloke stood there in his Lycra shorts ( Muddy Fox) looks a bit er, wrong with all these kids around… Tattooed woman in the highest stilettos possible.. You know, on the school field… Hmm.

molgrips
    Free Member

They cancelled the dad’s race at my son’s school this afternoon, because ‘the parents get too competitive’!!!

“If you can’t play nicely, you can’t play at all?”

That seems like a valid message to me. Nothing wrong with being competitive, but sometimes dads can be TOO competitive. Argy bargy, as some people have reported, has no place in a sprint race.

The message in school sport should be about sportsmanship imo, not winning at all costs.

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit to being a bit relieved to find no dads’ race at my son’s school sports day. Everybody would probably have expected me to win as I’m obviously very sporty, but I never have been and never will be a sprinter. Maybe if it was a long distance race (1 mile isn’t long distance – though probably long enough for me to do well I guess). Though to be honest I’d probably be injured as usual anyway (I’ll chance my injuries in more important things, not in a dads’ race).

persona
    Free Member

molgrips, You don’t even have kids old enough for your comment to be valid!

I agree with Beefheart!
    If you’re too much of a sap get your mummy to write you a note so you can sit at the side.

How’s this for PC, H&S nonsense? Our kids sports day was moved indoors because the grass was slightly damp and a child might slip and fall over.. Yeah, ‘coz a polished wooden floors don’t hurt nearly as much 🙄
    FFS Falling over is all part of growing up..

ransos
    Free Member

You don’t even have kids old enough for your comment to be valid!

I agree with Beefheart!
    If you’re too much of a sap get your mummy to write you a note so you can sit at the side.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AtAQM1mNw[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Touchy feely, namby pamby politically correct bullshit!
    Oh, it’s ok, don’t worry about trying to succeed, you might upset the stupid, fat children.
    Life is competitive if they hadn’t noticed!

Yeah we should be sending kids the message that everything should be taken far too seriously and you should act like an aggressive bellend at every opportunity.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips, You don’t even have kids old enough for your comment to be valid!

Lol.. Right, ok. You don’t have enough of a brain for your comments to be valid but that doesn’t seem to stop you wading in.

Our daughters sports day always used to be quite chilled with regards competitiveness – albeit I had a good string of results. We’d turn up and both my daughter and I were almost expected to win. I got well beat in her last year though.

Here’s one of said daughter ripping it up – shame Osgoods spoiled her running in recent years

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-SVajFN2I[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Ah well, no dad’s race there. I hurt my knee playing football yesterday, so probably for the best. 😉

wilhay
    Free Member

My son starts school this September. We had the first parents evening last night , telling us whats what and all that joining school stuff..
    I was sizing up the opposition for next summers games 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Kids sports day.. dads race’ is closed to new replies.