Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Kids sports day cancelled. H and S strikes again
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Pretty sure Hora. So on a windy day you could record -100M throw.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is all a ufcking joke isn't it?

What is wrong with children taking risks and learning from them?

When I was I kid we jumped in rivers, climbed trees, slid down the 'death slide' at a local rocky crag, climbed the rocky crag, played dare games with real darts, had an air rifle and high power catapult. We fell, we hurt ourselves, had a laugh, ran home to mum, got attacked by dogs, smashed faces open in bike crashes, fell through windows.

But it is all learning. Take away risk and you take away much of childhood.

But as has been said above, it is the bandwagon 'where there's blame…' parents who are too blame, not the schools that are scared to fart.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorry bruneep I appear to be repeating everything you post 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yeah they all will be the size of Buddha from missing one day of exercise.

Errmm – that's not the brightest of statements is it? It's the whole PE/H&S conflict thing here – worrying about minor injuries and so keeping kids from doing exercise. It's killing our youth.

hora
    Free Member

Even the French army will be better than ours man-for-man in the future 🙁

wrightyson
    Free Member

On all the advice posted so far I must remember to put a load of red and White tape around the lawn when I get home! Keep the little feckers from claiming off their old man! 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

Notes from a PE teacher…

H & S is always to be considered, but the fact that some children are actively discouraged from participating in curriculum PE by their parents because it's too cold, or too wet, or too sunny, or too foggy (I kid you not) is the one of the reasons children don't understand risk anymore. How can we expect children to assess their own welfare safely if all their parents do is bleat about the welfare of their little darlings.

I say that as a man without children at present; I'm sure I will protective when I'm lucky enough to be a parent, but mollycoddling children does more harm than not.

I'm aware that if this was Mumsnet I'd be hunted down and executed, but seriously!?! I learnt as a kid that if I didn't run around when it was cold, I'd die. So I ran. Likewise, if it was wet, I'd take a towel so I could have a shower after getting covered in mud. Some parents won't even let their kids do that!

Rant over. I'm off to throw a discus at some Yr 8's…

Lifer
    Free Member

Bit of an aside but fear of litigation is killing Scouting imo, the amount of forms and certificates that need to be completed for simple activities is ridiculous and putting lots of potential leaders off.

hora
    Free Member

petesgaff I remember when it was particularly snowy, cold or, raining or all three our P&E teacher relished taking us out.

Once I produced a carefully created note excusing me from cross country in a blizzard. I still had to go out ….in my shoes 😆

nonk
    Free Member

fek me when it started to rain at our bairns sports day last week you would have thought it was napalm that was falling the way some parents reacted.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

What is it with parents these days? (As with others, I don't blame the school for this, they're only seeking to fend off greedy, grasping, welfare sponge barrack room lawyers).

When I was seven we were being made to run 5K followed by a 30 minute swim several times per week. That was on top of rugby/football/hockey/cricket/athletics training (depending on the season), general gym and whatever other sports we chose to partake in.

I don't remember more than a handful of kids at school being fat either.

uplink
    Free Member

Has anyone seen the Brian Glover [PE teacher] scene in Kes?

Our PE lessons weren't that soft 🙂

bruneep

Setting a good example there about following dress codes. "Crappy" plimsoles plimsolls are perfectly adequate for children's PE lessons

Thanks for that, so it won't harm his feet in any way with his collapsed foot arch. 🙄

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We're trying to bring our little one (nearly two) up to be as "tough" as possible – no fear of the sea or waves (or getting a bit chilly), happily walks 2-3 miles and is very active and happiest outdoors.

He gets the odd knock from falling over (he fell out of the wheelbarrow I was pushing him in on Monday – oops!) and we always feel terrible about it at the time but as long as there's no silly dangers about, we're happy.

This H&S throttled society can naff right off.

DaveGr
    Free Member

When I was seven we were being made to run 5K followed by a 30 minute swim several times per week. That was on top of rugby/football/hockey/cricket/athletics training (depending on the season), general gym and whatever other sports we chose to partake in.

Right, when I was three I had to climb to the top of the hill, chop some wood for fire, cycle to school in three foot snow, score a century in cricket AND finish running a marathon before I'd even started it !!!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

DaveGr – Member

Right, when I was three I had to climb to the top of the hill, chop some wood for fire, cycle to school in three foot snow, score a century in cricket AND finish running a marathon before I'd even started it !!!

That must have been character building.

That's how it was at my school and many like it so hold fast on the disbelief princess.

DaveGr
    Free Member

I'm waiting for the precious premiership footballers to come out with, we can't play in the rain next!!!

The England team can't play in the dry so they've no hope in the wet ….

tiger_roach
    Free Member

When out school pool was out of action a parent offered theirs neglecting to mention it was unheated and this was in November; teacher made us go in. Not that our pool was great as it was detached from the changing rooms so we had to walk outside in our trunks to the pool in sub zero temperatures at times.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pete you'll be able to clarify this then! A mate who's a pe teacher was telling me he has to use you tube videos to show how a scrum is set in rugby, therfore removing the need for him to actively place his hands anywhere near the kids!! I was amazed. You're a pervert before you've even started these days if that's the case!

Drac

Errmm – that's not the brightest of statements is it? It's the whole PE/H&S conflict thing here – worrying about minor injuries and so keeping kids from doing exercise. It's killing our youth.

Where are they stopping them all together then or are just talking shite.

br
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I stood under an umbrella as it was raining, watching my 11 year old son play cricket at school – they were hoping it would only be a short shower and wanted to finish the match. Full hard ball too.

No problems, but then he's at a private school and tbh its more like when I was at school as far as sport goes. Plus he's been playing full contact rugby for a few years already.

But I agree with others, it says more about the parents than anything else – and I just can't imagine the parents I know sueing the school when its 'normal' behaviour and risks have been reviewed.

hora
    Free Member

The good thing is……the children that have no barriers in the future will stand our head and shoulders above the rest.

Aristotle
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Has anyone seen the Brian Glover [PE teacher] scene in Kes?

My school was similar(in the late 80s), albeit with a proper (rugby) ball -none of that poncey round ball stuff-.

We had the benefit of these very much 'old-school' chaps who made Brian Glover in KES look soft:

I think we had training cancelled once in 7 years -the field was water-logged and the pitches were getting too cut-up which might spoiled the up-coming 1stXV and 2nd XV games. Of course, when it was frozen we just wore trainers & not studs.

We had a match cancelled once due to icy conditions and fog -it was an away game- probably at some poncey private school 😉

Interestingly, the school always did well at rugby, cricket, track & field and even football when it eventually sneaked in.

oldgit
    Free Member

My PE teacher hit me round the head with a trainer after finishing the school XC trials, got round quick so he though Id cheated.
    I was his star county XC boy within the month.

I can even recall being made to bail out the water on a flooded football pitch before the games lesson.
    Ironically I think they make parents buy gumshields for their kids (we had to) as if that's ever going to see any action.
    Which brings me to boxing with F off heavy leather gloves. no gum shields no helmets and the PE teacher smoking a pipe at the ring side. I can still see the green tin waste paper bins filled with bloody toilet paper after boxing.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sheer brilliance!! My cousins sports day never happened as it wasn't seen as fair. They went for some bizarre non competitive affair instead so as not to upset the kids who are rhubarb at sports. Seriously what the hell is that about??? Shoe on the other foot, why not cancel exams? As it isn't fair on those kids who are not that academic.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Completely agree with mastiles 2nd post..

We are growing a society of fat inept adults !

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Where are they stopping them all together then or are just talking shite.

I might answer when you learn to write a full sentence in English without missing words out.

Kids are getting fatter – fact
    H&S is getting sillier – fact
    Sports Day is considered "too competitive" in most schools – fact

Any more facts you need?

Lifer
    Free Member

ds are getting fatter – fact

Conclusive.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I can't be bothered reading all that, so what ever anybody says, they're wrong and I'm right ok? It was much better when we all had Polio,TB, rickets and cholera etc and dogs ran down the street with strings of sausages between their teeth, you could leave your front door open and people would sneak in and leave cakes for you and postmen were chirpy, and would help you reroof your tithe cottage before continuing on their round rather than being the feral parcel thieving ba**……… oh you know what? **** it all 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I say kill 'em all to death with plimsoles plimsolls…

tiger_roach
    Free Member

probably at some poncey private school

But they tend to be the toughest places!

jahwomble
    Free Member

"But they tend to be the toughest places"

Hmmm, not really, that's certainly the myth that public schools and a lot of ex public scholastics like to promulgate, but none of the ones I or my brother and sister attended were at all like that.:)

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I can't wait to manage one of these kids who've never been told they've failed at something.

They're going to have a hard and short probationary period.

Lifer
    Free Member

jahwomble – Member
    I can't be bothered reading all that, so what ever anybody says, they're wrong and I'm right ok? It was much better when we all had Polio,TB, rickets and cholera etc and dogs ran down the street with strings of sausages between their teeth, you could leave your front door open and people would sneak in and leave cakes for you and postmen were chirpy, and would help you reroof your tithe cottage before continuing on their round rather than being the feral parcel thieving ba**……… oh you know what? **** it all

You should have said END OF, then it'd all be over.

jahwomble
    Free Member

If I'd thought for a moment that typing "end of" actually would cause it to end, I would have done :)dead horse, flogging of 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Any more facts you need?

I'd like some more actually. Like, where are the references to back up those claims? I want stats, citations and.. well – facts 🙂

Lol@ jahwomble btw 🙂

Mark

Kids are getting fatter – fact

Any more facts you need?

The first one is a fact… The other two are opinion.

Aristotle
    Free Member

tiger_roach – Member

probably at some poncey private school

But they tend to be the toughest places!

Well, I occasionally encounter people from schools who played rugby against our (state) school. The common consensus is that we played, ahem, 'robustly'. I'd never really noticed as it was normal to us.

molgrips
    Free Member

Public schools are traditionally good at rugby, are they not?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The other two are opinion

Nah. Someone out there is scientifically measuring the silliness of H & S right now. They draw graphs and everything. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Kids sports day cancelled. H and S strikes again’ is closed to new replies.