Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Kids' programs that scared you
  • Harry_the_Spider

The Horror!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Animal Kwackers. Never has a blue, glam rock space lion been more terrifying.

and Noseybonk. Nothing is as scary as Noseybonk.

wwaswas

not a kids program per se but Sapphire and Steel used to scare the shit out of me.

I still have occasional nightmares about Roundhead Troops stamping through my bedroom.

It was broadcast at 7pm – how can it still be scaring me 45 years later!

[edit] damn, I looked at YouTube.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dR4_HREQ2k[/video]

heart now racing, mouth dry (no it’s not the Lumley effect).

kiwijohn

You’re giving me flashbacks.
    The Tomorrow People rings a bell as well.

andytherocketeer

Does the Apaches public information film for kids count as a kid’s programme?

All on youtube somewhere.

Drac

perchypanther
    Free Member

+1 for Hartley Hare in particular and the gloomy nightmare that was Pipkins in general.

nick1962
    Free Member

The Yetis in Dr Who shot in black and white down the mine/tubestation.Gave me nightmares.

GHill

I used to be terrified of Zelda from Terrahawks. No way I’m googling for a pic without a sofa to hide behind.

Harry_the_Spider

I dunno. I like her on the radio.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

freddyg
    Free Member

The Changes scared me shitless.

TheFlyingOx

****-ing Tripods 😯

I also remember one on after Newsround where aliens had landed, assumed human form and were in positions of power and only the kids could see what was going on. All the adults were happy to go along with the aliens. It was Australian I think.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That bloke on FingerBobs gave me the willies, well that’s what I thought he wanted to do.

wwaswas

this bit about Fingerbobs always makes me smile. He must have hated those things…

After filming the last episode, Jones destroyed the mouse puppet while the camera was still rolling

Harry_the_Spider

I also remember one on after Newsround where aliens had landed, assumed human form and were in positions of power and only the kids could see what was going on. All the adults were happy to go along with the aliens. It was Australian I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocky_(TV_series)

I_did_dab
    Free Member

The Changes scared me shitless

Oh yes, that and Dr Who and the green death…

RoterStern
    Free Member

That yeti and the Sontorans from the 70s Dr Who were garaunteed to get me wimpering behind the sofa

DezB
    Free Member

this bit about Fingerbobs always makes me smile. He must have hated those things…

After filming the last episode, Jones destroyed the mouse puppet while the camera was still rolling

Saw a story recently about how he used to be high on dope when he filmed Fingerbobs.

Can only ever remember being scared by Dr Who.
    And the music from Armchair Thriller used to scare my little brother so I used to sing it through the bedroom wall 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

As soon as I saw the title I thought of Rupert The Bear (well Raggety) anyway.

They’ve toned him down somewhat though….

Dr Who used to scare me too.

Northwind

Moomins obviously. Not your modern, revisional moomins though, the original one. It’s not woooo scary like noseybonk, it’s more insidious, it’s all a bit like watching a human joint move in a direction you know it can’t. Urrrrrgh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/vgTSL71XHM8[/video]

Even the opening music was scary.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I keep hearing how scary this is…meaning to catch-up soon

linky

TheFlyingOx

I’ve had a look at that and it’s not the one. I distinctly remember a couple of human aliens (I think they had silver/blond hair) chasing the child protagonists on a motorbike. It’s definitely not British. I remember some kind of floating/glowing gemstone too.

DezB
    Free Member

You were a kid in 1997??

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Here’s an obvious one:

twinklydave

Children of the Dogstar

Which no-one remembers except me. Proper used to freak me out, as did The Tripods.

Had to watch them though, even if I was on edge the whole way through.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/-q_msdWl7qE[/video]
    This. I mean, a relationship between a goat and a cheetah!!!! COMEON!! 😯

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Children of the Dogstar
    Which no-one remembers except me.

I remember that. Might have to watch it again.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I know it wasn’t wasn’t a children’s show but Apaches (the 1977 public information film) scared the living daylights out of me. The thought of drowning in a silage pit still troubles me almost 30 years later.

theotherjonv

Just read the synopsis of Chocky

“Matthew Gore is an intelligent boy chosen by a mysterious extraterrestrial visitor to be a source of information about life on Earth. “

i think he posts on here under a different name. Certainly made me think.

colournoise

Possibly just me, but Ludwig used to completely freak me out.

brakes
    Free Member

Zelda from Terrahawks has to be the worst of all time.

And the trash heap.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I know it wasn’t wasn’t a children’s show but Apaches (the 1977 public information film) scared the living daylights out of me

Just watched a short edit of that on yootoob and it’s bloody terrifying.

warton
    Free Member

two things spring to mind, very vivid, no one has very been able to tell me what they were.

1. a school, a school dinner lady serving up green slop out of some sort of cart, not scary, but for some reason it freaked me out.

2. a boy, a duck, a nuclear power station, European, dubbed.

andytherocketeer

Spent most of my youth on a freinds farm in summer
    The filthy looking pond scare the c**p out of me after watching that film. By the time I was old enough to earn some pocket money and drive a Massey, I learned that all it was was a huge water butt that collected rainwater that they’d use along with whatever chemical for spraying the apples or something.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Grain stores are also damn dangerous, I don’t think it’s possible to “float” on the stuff. Then there’s the gasses from silage and manure (not that is stopped some guy from the next town over being deeply weird about that either, yuk).

Cougar

Can only ever remember being scared by Dr Who.

My overriding memory of Doctor Who was being scared absolutely shitless by the titles. Tom Baker era, where they’re flying through the time tunnel or vortex or whatever, just an infinite tube scrolling past. In hindsight I’ve no idea why, I think it induced some sort of extreme claustrophobia in me.

distinctly remember a couple of human aliens (I think they had silver/blond hair) chasing the child protagonists on a motorbike.

You’re not talking about The Boy From Space are you? It was one of the never-ending serials inside Words & Pictures, like the Peregrine Falcon story. The Thin Man (I think) and Peep-Peep were the aliens, both unnaturally blonde with blue and silver suits.

Cougar

Oh, and not a kids show, but there used to be an evening drama on about an alien invasion, I’d guess late 70s / early 80s. People were being replaced by alien dopplegangers, and they had some sort of green glowing crystals as power sources or something. The scene where they did the killing off / replacing was done off-camera (presumably to save on FX budgets) and was portrayed as a throbbing green glow of light shining through under doors.

I’ve never got to the bottom of what it was called (I think I even asked on here a few years back and chalked up a rare STW failure). It gave me nightmares for months, every time my parents came upstairs the landing light would seep under the door and I’d poo myself expecting it to turn pulsing green at any moment.

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for “The Changes”. Absolutely compelling viewing but scary as heck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Kids' programs that scared you’ is closed to new replies.