Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kids not enjoying bikes
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’m away with family this weekend. We are planning to go out on bikes tomorrow or Monday. It will be flat and easy riding. The youngest (7 year old girl) doesn’t enjoy riding her bike. She had a fall a few weeks ago, but nothing serious. Since then she hasn’t enjoyed it. Anyone else had the same experience? If so, what did you do to help them enjoy their riding again.

stwhannah

Bribery. Promise her whatever cake she wants at the cafe stop, chocolate milk, coca cola – whatever is sufficiently treaty to motivate her. And follow my top tips (shameless plug) family cycling top tips
    🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I think having a destination/reason for a bike ride helps, and definitely ice cream stops – bribery works every time 🙂
    Or how about “we want to go to (insert destination here) but we can only get there by bike” – you may need to stick to off-road routes to get away with this one though.

TiRed

Don’t “ride your bike” do ride to ice cream, park or other attraction. Kids don’t really care about the ride. They care about the arrival.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Don’t make her ride her bike if she doesn’t enjoy it? The “We” above should be “I’m”

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t make her ride her bike if she doesn’t enjoy it? The “We” above should be “I’m”

This! She’ll come round to it in her own time. Or not if its not her thing

ferrals
    Free Member

Seems the issue is a fall and before she enjoyed it? If so surely the key is just address the lack of confidence / fear of falling off again? No idea how you do that but I’m guessing ploughing along anyway isn’t the best option. With no parenting experience I’d guess making sure you ride next to her at her pace and do a few short rides round nice flat grassy parks to build back up confidence?

timba
    Free Member

Borrow/hire a tandem, family ride, ice cream
    Family ride (own bike), ice cream
    It worked for us

Stoner
    Free Member

Put her up for adoption? Scientific research?
    There’re some things just too important to get all hand-wringingly liberal about.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the hints and tips. I think the weekend was a success. We messed about on our bikes for a bit at the holiday park. We practised starting off and stopping in a straight line, then moved on the riding around in circles and changing direction. After an hour or so she was riding up and down quite happily, bouncing over the speed bumps and even stood up a few times.

Yesterday we took the bikes to Coniston and has a ride along the lake through the camp site etc. She was happy and enjoyed the ride, especially the bits when we went off the path following some “single track”.

She asked if we can go on bike again when we see them in a few months.

epicyclo

When we lived in Oz my daughter was never interested in going for a bike ride.

But suggest going looking for “sick wallabies” and she’d happily jump on the bike and spend all day riding through the bush. (We occasionally found dead ones).

Maybe sick hedgehogs would do in the UK. 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pokemon Go by bike?

*Runs for the hills* 😆

matt_outandabout

Bribery. Promise her whatever cake she wants at the cafe stop, chocolate milk, coca cola – whatever is sufficiently treaty to motivate her. And follow my top tips (shameless plug) family cycling top tips

^This. Has worked well for us.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My kids love their bikes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jt67fH]Panther cubs[/url] by Perchy Panther, on Flickr

What could possibly go wrong?…….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hx3Lm1]Panther cubs[/url] by Perchy Panther, on Flickr

bigyinn
    Free Member

How did he get that badly out of shape in 2 metres?

postierich
    Free Member

Mine hated riding her bike but then she found camping on a bike:-)
    A nice bike helps with lots of shoves up the hills
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/K13kmH]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

perchypanther
    Free Member

How did he get that badly out of shape in 2 metres?

It’s a special gift he has. He inherited it from his dad. 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I hated it and sometimes felt forced, sometimes swearing and muttering my way through bike rides – then around 12/13 I started to actually enjoy having some kind of skill.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kids not enjoying bikes’ is closed to new replies.