Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • kids first pedal bike
  • hopevalley

Hi – this has been done to death I know but little girl hopevalley is ready for her first proper bike having well and truly mastered her Rothan. We were set on getting her an Isla Cnoc 14 and she’s tried a friends and it’s great…. but then i saw this EarlyRider Belter
    and it just looks brilliant (and it isn’t an Isla like every body else has…) anybody got any views on this? or any experience of Early Rider bikes in terms of build quality etc? price is similar and she will fit on a 16 and may the get more use from it long term.
    cheers

DrP

I’m in the same predicament.
    My issue is that the Belter is a 16incher, and may simlpy be too big for my little one….

Also, rear brake only…

(but…. belt drive, leather grips, and carbon post – wayhey!!!)

DrP

hopevalley

I know! I mean, look at it! I want one in my size 🙂

the little one could get on with a 16 as she’s more than happy on the 14″ isla now, but it might not be perfect for the first couple of months…

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

My lad had a Dawes Blow Fish for his first pedal bike. I recommend it.

They come in 12, 14 & 16 inch versions. Alu frame- nice and lightweight and sensible price.

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-206-blowfish-16.aspx

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

+1 for Dawes Blowfish. Lightweight, affordable and does the job 🙂

mike_p
    Free Member

Have a look at the Ridgebacks… they do 12, 14 + 16″. Great bikes, both of our kids have had 14s, are now on 16s and will soon be on the 20s. Slightly dearer than the Dawes but better quality, lighter and a fraction of the price of the Islas. They also hold their value very well – buy sensibly 2nd hand and you’ll get your money back when you come to sell it.

tinsy
    Free Member

I keep looking at these kids bikes, specifically at 12″ wheel pedal bikes, whats with all the bars up so stupidly high?

Get up to the 16″ wheels & the saddle to bar height ratio starts to look reasonable.

hopevalley

cheers – will look at the Dawes and Ridgebacks.

…but the Belter does look VERY nice….
    🙂

TiRed

Any 16″ bike from a reputable maker with alloy brake levers (standard mark of quality), will be fine. Aluminium frames are a plus, but not a requirement. Years ago, we bought a Raleigh Kobo 16. Steel, but nicely made. Added guards and a bell, and my five yo would easily ride the four miles to school, a couple of days a week. It’s still in service with a neighbor. You can probably pick one up for about £30.

I’ve said it before, but i’d avoid 14″ wheels. Not enough growing time – most manufacturers manage perfectly well with 4″ jumps from 12″.

EDIT: That Blowfish looks a fine bike for the money.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘kids first pedal bike’ is closed to new replies.