Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Kid's driving experiences
  • DezB
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good one of these? My boy’s 15th birthday coming up, for the last one I got him an offroad drive in a Evoque, which he enjoyed, but now wants to go fast. Most of the “supercar” ones seem to be 2 hrs briefing and a 10 minute drive, which would be rather crap, methinks.
    So if you know any darn sarf that’ll suit, lemme know! cheers

jam-bo

2hr karting session with his mates?

bails

Tbh that’s probably going to be more fun. I did a ‘supercar experience’ thing years ago and like you say, it’s a load of waiting and then about 10 minutes going around a wide, flat airfield. I got up to 140mph on mine but it felt slower than doing 60 down a country road in my (at the time Peugeot 106)!

Silverstone do a single seater thing that looks good, don’t know if kids can do it though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Skid pan with all your mates in the back?

That’dbe a hoot.

nickewen
    Free Member

I would definitely go for single seater over supercar as you get more laps for your money. I did one up at Knockhill many moons ago it was excellent – not sure if you need a driving license though?

I’d probably second karting. 12 of us did a qually + race thing recently for a stag do and it was incredibly good fun!

DezB
    Free Member

Who pays? I certainly couldn’t afford to! And asking other parents to splash out for someone else’s birthday seems a bit off…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Karting for sure

DezB
    Free Member

Not what I asked! But cheers anyway 😉

spennyy
    Free Member

I bought my lad one last year from http://www.driveme.co.uk he got a quick driving lesson, 3 supercars to drive and then drove a short off road course in a landy.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers spennyy, will check that out

[edit]shame – Stafford. Preferably would be a driving experience for him that doesn’t involve a long distance driving experience for me!

the-muffin-man

These people use circuits all over the country. Do 3 cars minimum though, you are just getting used to the speed and flappy paddles by the time you get out of the 3rd car.

http://www.everymanracing.co.uk/junior-experiences-emr

My wife bought me a 3 car experience for my birthday with them and it was fine – yes, lots of hanging around, not a huge amount of track time and they will try and sell you many extras! Be prepared to pay double the original price by the time you’ve done.

All 3 cars I drive were new and clean and I drove way faster than I’ve done before and the instructor didn’t try and slow me down.

And if you can stretch to it add a couple more cars on the day – they were selling additional rides at discounted prices when I went.

This company get very mixed reviews though, but most of the negative reviews seem to be from people who aren’t allowed to pretend they are Lewis Hamilton. They are just an experience, not full tuition, race training and getting the back-end out session!

Edukator
    Free Member

Just sign him up for la conduite accompagnée in France and he can drive on the roads. I survived.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Karting Karting Karting!

Done a single seater experience at silverstone, and as it was pretty quick for a lap or two….

Vast majority of time I was sat at road speeds waiting for the overtaking zones, 12 people on track, could have been bit of bad luck that I got on with some very slow drivers, or I could be the next Ayrton Senna.

Karting is a ball, feels just as quick and you can actually drive on the limit of your ability.

chakaping
    Free Member

Karting with you and/or a couple of his pals must be cheaper than some bollocks “supercar experience”?

Or do they still invite the whole class at 15 where you are?

bodgy
    Free Member

Hovercraft?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Drive him to the local car park. Tin trays under the rear wheels, hand brake on, have fun 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Other thing with karting – if the birthday boy doesn’t win (competitive soul that he is) comes away from his own birthday do disappointed. Nah.

Everyman looks good… rallying too – I could encourage that 🙂

poly
    Free Member

I don’t think any of the singleseaters will take a 15 yr old off the street, as they will want an instructor there for safety/legal reasons.

I’m guess cost wise for a super car experience but I’d guess it’s in the 100-200 range? If you shop around and are willing to go at non-peak times you can probably get 10 people karting for that money. That said, I don’t have an issue with paying for my son to do that sort of thing for someone else’s birthday – he’s having fun too. Probably won’t get a present though! If it was half a dozen good friends they’d probably have more fun and get more track time for the money.

eskay

I quite often see this lot when I go to Newport Velodrome:

https://www.youngdriver.eu/home

brakes
    Free Member

lucky boy. my experience at that age was driving my Dad’s company car round a church car park.

DezB
    Free Member

Rallying on the everyman site looks like the best deal. Supercars schmupercars I say.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hovercraft?

This. It’s amazing.

My wife and I did a rallying day at Silverstone Rally School which was on groupon for about £40. It was short, about 2 hours total with the 10 minute induction, but it was mad. The adrenalin lap was properly hectic, and I learned a lot in not a lot of time.

The kids got to razz about in FWD Ford Kas and, with the instructor helping, could really chuck them about on the skid pan/figure of eight thing. It was great. We were in RWD Imprezas. Sliding EVERYWHERE.

http://www.silverstonerally.co.uk/junior-rally-experience/4587034472

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mercedes World at Brooklands is quite good. They do kids driving experience plus there is Mercedes World and Brooklands next door is worth a look around. More of a day than just one drive.

TiRed

I’d second Mercedes World, particularly the 4×4 option. It is VERY good, the museum is excellent, and Brooklands right next door for a full day out. Both of mine have done this, and my stepfather did the supercar spin.

Not cheap, but value for money.

DezB
    Free Member

Went to Silverstone in the end. Brilliant instructor (Andy, iirc).
    Recommended!

[video]https://youtu.be/04NFkyHg8qQ[/video]

grtdkad

Nice job (biased as an ex-rally-ist).

Markie
    Free Member

That looks ace!

DezB
    Free Member

Yep – not just the skid pan. Few laps of the mini rally course.
    Tip, if booking – check what else is going on at Silverstone on the day. You do not want to be stuck in a massive traffic jam with a load of boy racers in pimped out Astras and Clios. Oh no siree.

cchris2lou

My son did the Mercedes one too and really enjoyed it. Full day.

He also did the driving school at the Bluewater shopping centre and that was terrible.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Kid's driving experiences’ is closed to new replies.