Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kids camping in a hammock?
  • Olly
    Free Member

Anyone got any info or thoughts on a hammock as a camp bed for a rug rat?
    Currently 6 months, but i figure up to much older.
    Looking at options for fitting her into our van when camping, the easiest and most space efficient option strikes me as a “traditional” shape hammock, strung up between two eyelets on A and C pillar. Or B and D. Bit like a bunk bed above our bed, but cheap to buy or make and quick to put up and take down.
    I figure it won’t cause any back problems of similar if it’s just occasional. Wouldn’t have thought it would be a good idea every single day.
    Any problems or issuesI haven’t thought of?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Our daughter was such a terrible sleeper initially that if she ever fell asleep in the car we would leave her in her car seat till she woke. She had several nights nicely tucked up in it. It certainly hasn’t affected her back as she’s as sporty, fit and active any dad could ever wish his nearly 15 year old girl to be.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Is she watertight? Might be good if she is above you!

simon_g

In India baby hammock things are commonplace. Not sure what age they get used up to, my only concern would be once toddler age they might be able to climb out. Not a huge issue if it’s only a short drop to your bed.

postierich
    Free Member

WE had a Hammock in the VW and she never fell out 🙂 great space saver
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/NGKDJ]Bedtime with a iview[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NSQQA]Morning[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Olly
    Free Member

Matt makes a solid point i hasn’t thought of. She is mostly watertight. Mostly.

I’ve ordered four m6 tie down eye bolts this eve.Two more for the roof rack points. will see if I can find some anchor point holes inside for the other two…. Get muggue on the sewing machine….

CountZero

It shouldn’t be difficult to rig some sort of waterproof liner to a hammock, just in case of ‘accidents’ or spillages.
    I can remember my mum putting a very thin rubber sheet underneath my brother’s bedsheets to keep the mattress dry when he was very little, it may even have been used with me, but my memory doesn’t go back that far!

theotherjonv

aren’t hammocks supposed to be cold because you have air circulating all round – some sort of insulation under the waterproofing?

CountZero

Something like this, folded over, ought to solve both the waterproofing and warmth issues:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love2Sleep-TOWELLING-WATERPROOF-MATTRESS-PROTECTOR/dp/B00BBZYTE6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1484264025&sr=8-6&keywords=rubber+sheets+for+beds
    Terry sheet with non-crinkle waterproof coating, buy a couple and put them back-to-back for extra insulation.

Olly
    Free Member

Does that have body mounted slots for the rails rich? Looking forward to this spring. Better get this sorted!

db

What van is it for. I have seen simple bunks on T4 and T5 made out of metal conduit (made up into a square shape) and slung with some fabric. The square frame sits on the doors so no damage/bolts needed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d be wary of a waterproof type sheet as surely that could overheat the back of the little ones head on warmer days.

CountZero

I’d be wary of a waterproof type sheet as surely that could overheat the back of the little ones head on warmer days.

Hardly, the child will be lying on it, not wrapped in it, and I can’t see any difference between such a blanket used on a normal bed, and in a hammock, which has air circulation all round. In any case, it’s supposed to prevent leakage from the bottom half, not the top*, the blanket doesn’t have to be under the child’s head at all, does it.
    *Yes, I know that children can ‘leak’ from the top end, but that sort of ‘leakage’ is less likely to pour through a normal sheet used to line a hammock, and I doubt any child could produce enough snot for it to pour through onto the unfortunate people underneath! 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hey I’m only going back 11 years when our youngest was a baby. Anything plasticky near a mattress was a no no due to overheating and the obvious associated risks. Just a thought that’s all but as usual it was flamed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kids camping in a hammock?’ is closed to new replies.