Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kids bikes, bits and places to ride…
  • gravitykids
    Free Member

Since having my daughter nearly 6 years ago my whole biking world has been turned upside down. I now find myself doing family xc rides on weekends rather than throwing myself down hills doing dh.
    The truth is that I’m enjoying my current riding as much as I did my dh.
    Watching my little girl enjoy herself and progress makes riding so much fun.
    I’m also loving buying bikes and bits for my daughter’s bike.

On the back of this I’m now doing a blog (gravitykids) which will cover the kiddie side of biking. I’ll be doing reviews of bikes, bike bits and kid friendly bike rides.

If be grateful if anyone who is remotely interested could sign up to my blog and give me feedback on what I write as well as letting me know of any family rides that I could possibly do and review.

https://gravitykids.wordpress.com

Follow the blog, through the link at the bottom of the page, and you’ll receive an email whenever I post.

You can also follow gravitykids through our twitter page:
    https://twitter.com/gravitykids

Reviews coming up over the next few weeks will include:
    Raleigh Performance 20 bike, Schwalbe Mow Joe tyres and ghetto tubeless on a kids bike.

peabrain
    Free Member

I know exactly where you are coming from – I was just having this conversation with the other half.

At the moment getting the kids out riding is more important than getting out riding for myself.

It is great fun doing up their bikes too. My 4 year old has been riding a custom built bike since he was 2 😀

al2000

Good stuff – my tall (nearly) 4 year old has pretty much outgrown her balance bike, and is about ready for her first ‘proper’ bike. One of the bikes I’m looking at is a Cnoc, so your blog was interesting from the off. Looking forward to reading some more posts.

garage-dweller

Twitter followed. Blog looks good, back to that later. 🙂
    Similar age to my eldest. Pedals look good resin ones on kids bikes don’t survive the kind of use our boys give them.

hatter

It is great fun doing up their bikes too. My 4 year old has been riding a custom built bike since he was 2

Tell me about it, spent an hour this morning reworking the seatpost and fettling the V-brake on my 3 year old’s Supurb BO12. I’ve never been that anal about anythign on my own bikes, love watching him fly about on it though, Swinley tomorrow!

danbarker

Going to follow this as looks like a great blog.

It’s great going out with my 5 yr old especially now he is starting to ride longer and further. Can’t wait until he is big enough for a 20″ wheel bike as it will hopefully mean we can start doing some proper rides. Just hope I can keep up 😀

cheekyget
    Free Member

I taught my son how to ride when he was 3 …he is 8 now and after taking him round the whole of Richmond park last week….he now tells me he is ready for boxhill…..lol
    The only thing is he is rapidly outgrowing his new bike ……he is on bike no3 already……it won’t be long and he’ll be using mine…..noooooooooo!,….lol

Cant beat riding with the family!!

peabrain
    Free Member

It’s great, isn’t Hatter?

Enjoy your day at Swinley – if it is anything like my day “riding” at trail centres with my 4 year old it will go like this:

One loop of the blue with a fair bit of pushing child up the hilly bits or a big push up the hill then a 5 minute blast down the Orange

Then the rest of the day spent hanging round the pump track/skills area because one loop is enough 😀

I can’t wait until he has a bike with gears!

tomlevell

Trying to avoid buying a drop bar bike for the eldest until she fits a 24″ one. Hence new tiny BMX cranks purchased for her 20″ to fit 38T chainring to get her up to the gear limit for monday night racing so she can keep up (win ;0)

4 year old outgrowing balance bike?
    Get a 20″ with gears ;0)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uqCDg7]League 2000 150629[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

wideford
    Free Member

The whole process turns out really rewarding.
    My girls are now 12 and 13 and can now enjoy a decent day out with the bikes. Years of forgoing a more challenging ride to coax them along the trails have really paid off. I’ve now got two great riding partners living in the dame house as me.
    Where even considering a overnight-er before the end of the summer.

Here’s there rebuilt bikes. Kona Calderas

v8ninety

Awesome. With boys of three and four who can both pedal furiously already, I am just looking forward to the next few years. I have nothing new to add, just +1 the lot of you. The feeling of pride you experience when you watch your young’un pedalling competently and hell for leather round the park, past older kids on stabilisers is a thing of wonder.

motorman
    Free Member

I am sitting reading this with a coffee before heading out with my lad on his first overnight bikepacking trip.

Last outing was fantastic and what the summer holidays are all about 😉

gravitykids
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

It’s reassuring that other people like riding with their kids. I know too many people who leave their families at home on a weekend to go out riding with their mates. That’s not to say that I don’t have the occassional day out riding with mates, but I know which I prefer.

Just bought Char’s 20″ bike and now I’m going to start planning a custom build bike for when she moves up to 24″, should keep me busy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kids bikes, bits and places to ride…’ is closed to new replies.