Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • kids bikes… 24 or 26?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening… been a while since i’ve been over this side of the forum!

so minivader is doing the annoying child thing of growing out of EVERYTHING! this includes his bike.
    At 4′ 5″ is it worth going for a 24″ bike or should i be looking at an XS (14″ frame) 26″ ?
    not sure which to do….
    cheers

transporter13
    Free Member

Deffo 26″ at that height…. It’s more the top tube length you need to worry about than anything else really.

daftvader
    Free Member

yeah, thats what i was thinking…

daftvader
    Free Member

Anyone else?

Yak

Xs/ 13″ 26er should be fine.

poah
    Free Member

what ever your child is comfy on. depending on how fast they grow you might not get much time on a 24 but you’ll still have to change frame on the 26 as well as they grow.

Duc
    Free Member

26″ frame with 24″ wheels and then back to 26″ later

only thing you may struggle with moving to a 26″ is crank length – you want something in the 150-155 range whihc is challenging when looking at an adult frame

Yak

For the cranks – thorn do a range of short square taper cranks – sjs cycles usually. There’s also a cheaper suntour one from ebay, but I don’t have experience of that one so don’t know how good it is.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks chaps… lots to look at

ocrider

I got the Suntour cranks for my daughter’s bike in 152. They’re bloody good value for money (bought from this French online store)

transporter13
    Free Member

Yeah.. Those suntour cranks are good.. My lad has been using them mated with a narrow wide ring for over a year now with no issues… Ditch the rings and they are actually quite light

Duc
    Free Member

if you can cope with going 1x which i did on my daughters bike then there’s loads of single ring cranks available in BMX flavour and you can faff around with chainline with cheap sq taper bottom brackets.

daftvader
    Free Member

He’s got really long legs so I reckon he’ll be ok on normal cranks. Was going to go 1x anyway as its less to think about so bmx cranks may well be a good shout. . And probably ridged to keep the weight down…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My daughter is a similar height and has been on an XS/13″ 26″ wheeled Rockhopper since last summer. It runs 1 x with those 152mm Suntour cranks from the French site and they’re great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘kids bikes… 24 or 26?’ is closed to new replies.