• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kids Bike Sizing
  • real_ben10
    Free Member

Hi all, can anyone recommend what size bike I would need for a four year old boy. It seems that most retailers go by wheel size rather than frame size? Thanks.

cookeaa

Yep then do tend to go for a single size of frame on each wheel size, with a bit of adjustment… Best advice I can offer, go to a toys’r’us maybe decathlon and sit him on a couple just to see how they fit.

Then pick them up and imagine how a four year old is going to deal with the weight of it…

Next go looking for something in the appropriate wheel size with an alloy frame a baulk at the prices for islabikes… Then probably end up buying an isla…

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve had Ridgebacks. Can’t fault either the MX14 or the MX16 that we’ve had. Plenty of other small bikes available that Isla.

TomB

Mine got 14″ Isla at 3.5, depending on your boys confidence and size, you’re looking at 16 or possibly 20″, probably.

cookeaa

He won’t be big enough for 20″ wheels at 4…

Got my daughter (who is on the smaller side) a 12″ specialized at ~3.5, great frame, terrible spec, by the time she was more interested in riding, it was time for a 16″ wheeled bike, now she’s 6.5 and we’ll need a 20″ in the next six months or so…

They’re growing so fast from 2-10 that its going to end up being a bike a year more or less, and (IMO) weight matters far more when they’re still young than the cheaper brands allow for, heavy pig iron frames set them back and take a lot of the fun out of riding, it’s going to cost more than you think if you’re looking to really encourage him…

TomB

My lad was on a Beinn24 at 6.5, and he isn’t particularly tall.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kids Bike Sizing’ is closed to new replies.