• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kids Bike Seat Recommendations Please
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

My sister is looking to get a bike seat for her 18 month old daughter. She wants one to go on the front of the bike rather than the back. I’ve posted on the classifieds to see if anyone has one second hand they’re willing to part with, but thought I’d check here to see if anyone had any recommendations of best make, as if I can’t find a second hand one I’ll probably start looking at new ones. So if anyone has any thoughts I’d be very grateful! Thanks…

igm

I like the mid-mounted (id above the top tube) seats. They balance the bike well and fit most types of bike.

Weeride is well thought of for small children.

LOCT (if you can find them) are superb as they get older – 2 plus.

We have a LOCT and a CoPilot Limo for our son. Started in the Limo and graduated to the LOCT, which he still goes in round red route stuff (Dalby and Les Gets) at 4 years.

Probably going to get a Weeride for the next child though (they go on FS bikes).

Someone (Druidh?) will be along in a minute to talk about human airbags though.

geoffj

At 18 months, put them on the back. Seat tube mounted ones offer a better ride, but the copilot limos are more substantial when they get bigger.

igm

Weeride is fine at that age – LOCT isn’t

lexiekay
    Free Member

Thanks guys, Weeride sounds like it might be a winner. Any ideas on best places to buy, or get second hand (other than flea-bay!) Thanks

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve just decided to get rid of our baby seat since both kids are older now. Its about 4 yrs old and is worn but still in good nick.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Child-Carrier/babyseat_wrack

If you are interested I can get some photos etc and talk cost.

I originally got it as I wasn’t sure of the flex on those seat tube mounted seats. Has worked well.

igm

Mothercare can order them or just google them. Everyone I know who has them has a taker for them secondhand.

You might want some helicopter tape to protect the frame too.

druidh
    Free Member

If it clamps onto the frame at all, be very careful. Modern lightweight frames have very thumb walled tubing and it can be easily crushed.

Oh – and is it ok for your baby to be used as a human airbag? 🙂

igm

Knew you wouldn’t fail me Druidh 😉 Still not managed to come off forwards and squash my son with the LOCT though – I really must try harder. 😈

It clamps on to the head tube in the region that has the headset cup inside it, so I wouldn’t worry too much and I know two serious cyclists who are using them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kids Bike Seat Recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.