Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • kids balance bikes: what a waste of money…
  • ex-pat
    Free Member

Youngest has one of these:

She’s had it since 2 and loves it (Nearly 3). Last weekend she had her first big crash on it – racing/rolling down a grass hill and ended up basically going over the bars in a big tank slapper. Scuffs and shock were mighty. Once she’d recovered she said she wanted to go back to the other hill as it wasn’t quite as steep (not much in it).
    Bless, I have a future DH rider!

The eldest didn’t have a balance bike (she’s 4) and whilst she enjoys the biking with stabilisers she does moan a bit when we’re out ride playing that she can’t off road as well as her sister…

Not sure there’s much in it in terms of ability though – they both can balance on it fine, and the eldest has a good concept of pedalling and brakes now which is handy.

One thing I did do with stabilisers soon after she started riding was to raise them a few cm’s off the road on both sides, so they stop her falling but do allow a degree of freedom in terms of balance. It’s interesting to see how when she starts riding she’s leaning but by the end of the play session she’s balancing more and more.

Don’t like pedal back brakes though (her bike has one), I’d prefer she had a proper brake and used that, but understand her little hands aren’t (weren’t) strong enough.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d prefer she had a proper brake and used that, but understand her little hands aren’t (weren’t) strong enough most brakes on kids bikes are rubbish

FTFY – mine could easily lock up the brakes on his Cnoc when only 3.

SammyC
    Free Member

Indeed, the ones on the Islabikes are perfect for little hands as the video I posted earlier shows.

M6TTF
    Free Member

our lad had a balance bike for his 2nd birthday, and then a proper bike at about 3. I took the pedals off it so he could get used to the new one, then just put the pedals on. He never had the stabilizers fitted, seemed like a step backwards to me. he was happily riding properly well before he was 4.

SammyC
    Free Member

@M6TTF: That’s what I did last weekend with my lad (3.5yo) pedals off first to get used to the new bike, 20 minutes later pedals back on, 10 minutes after that:

Super proud (and amazed) Dad.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Brakes?

DSC_0527 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

My lad fitting XT V’s to his Scoot 🙂

dunsapie
    Free Member

Found this on you tube, my 2yr old likes watching it.
    [/url]

rp16v
    Free Member

got my 2yo a alloy balance bike from tescos for £20 shes still a little short on it but swaped over the grips for pink and fitted a mirror and shes a happy bunny scoots around the house and when we get the chance to go out just need another 1/2″ on the legs lol

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘kids balance bikes: what a waste of money…’ is closed to new replies.