Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kids armour
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Did we already do this?

She wants to buy some confidence (future STWer in the making it seems). She’s fairly chunky and big for 8. What’s out there?

weeksy

TLD stuff, i think it was from Tweeks. Bought last week for our lad.

vinnyeh

Sportpursuit have G-Form stuff for kids at the moment, ordered a couple of sets of everything 😕 to see what, if anything, fits our kids.
    I’ve a few bits I use sometimes, it’s D30 type stuff, easy to wear- if it fits it should be just enough for them.

stevextc
    Free Member

Helmets and knee pads fairly easy…. well if you can try stuff, I find its the uncertainty of sizing makes it difficult.

The bigish 7yr old is using Fox Launch Youth knee pads… S/M size and they have adsorbed some epic stacks on rock.

Downhills he has a Bell FF Medium Youth…. significantly cheaper than adult sizes. It’s snug and he’s 7….

Trail wise he has a Bell MIPS youth. I can actually wear it… (towards end of adjustment but…)

If buying again I might compromise on the FF and get a 2R + chin…. these are still available in small highly discounted. I’ve got a medium 3R and I fit his Bell Youth when its let out… OK the 2R/3R is not a real FF helmet but much more versatile …whereas the FF is wear or not… you can realistically carry the chin guard … We rode the Bull Track 2 weekends ago and it was so hot he didn’t wear his FF …. It took a bit of letting him convince himself he doesn’t really want to pedal in it – but when its 30 degrees you don’t want to be in it full stop…

Never convinced him on elbow guards…I don’t wear them so I cant see him doing. Girls might be more sensible?

poah
    Free Member

Lewis used to wear bliss miniamilist elbow pads on his knees for a while till he got a bit thicker.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s ridiculous really. She’s so nervous she never does anything at the kind of speed you couldn’t simply just stop and put a foot down. In fact most of the time she just gets off at the first hint of anything. I’ve ridden with some mincers before but holy cow.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s ridiculous really. She’s so nervous she never does anything at the kind of speed you couldn’t simply just stop and put a foot down. In fact most of the time she just gets off at the first hint of anything. I’ve ridden with some mincers before but holy cow.

Do you have local BMX club that runs novice sessions? Seriously, a decent coach will boost her confidence 100%. The difference I saw in my lad (age 7) after training with Kieran the coach at our club is ridiculous.
    This confidence occurs when we are out riding normally too. It’s worth a try.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure. We plan to take her to the local cycling club for what should include skills, but not sure how rad they are. Will look up BMX coaching. She would probably just close up though. Needs a psychologist not a coach!

monkeychild
    Free Member

lol. Our coach got my lad doing gates in less than 45 minutes!! (the drop is a bit intimidating) He was absolutely petrified of them at first and would have a proper tantrum about doing them if I mentioned it. I walked away and let the coach go through it with him and BOOM he was gone!!!! He raced his first regional this weekend gone, not bad from being absolutely terrified 6 weeks ago. Sometimes the kids just need someone else to give them the confidence (something that was tough for me to take at first).

brassneck

I have the reverse issue with the youngest. Doesn’t think for a second.
    Was explaining to his brothers the best line down a proper steep, chalky, root infested bomb hole and he just rolled past and dropped it, right into the nettles when the brakes couldn’t cash his confidence cheque.

Reading this thread with interest, though I’m thinking mattress with two leg holes levels.

monkeychild
    Free Member

though I’m thinking mattress with two leg holes levels.

Genuine 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kids armour’ is closed to new replies.