Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • kids 24" full sus build – advice sought
  • deft73
    Free Member

Just cant justify dropping a mint on a transistion ripcord so am looking at building up a kids 24″ full suss bike. Anyone done/doing the same? what frame/forks/shocks etc?

thanks in advance

poah
    Free Member

norco fluid 6.3 is £950 other than that there is nothing cheaper and you’ll not get a decent frame either so stump up the cash or keep the sprog on a hard tail untill they are bigger

iainc

do the trails really justify it ? adds a lot of weight onto a bike where rider weight/bike weight ratio is high already.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

2014 or earlier Scott Spark 24 with cool dad upgrades!
    Or the Norco Fluid 4.3. Looks like a pretty well thought out piece of kit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Kona Stinky on ebay (not mine)

Commencal do one too.

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14495047

I’m going for a Cube 240SL hardtail I think. £500 and decent spec.

igm

I built up a Kona Stinky 2-4. It goes to the Alps with us in the summer and is really so mum and dad can ride their full suss bikes in real hills. Islabike gets ridden the rest of the time.

Uplift means weight is not a horrendous issue. Got it down to 29lb (on digital luggage scales that agre with airport check in scales) without tackling the wheels – probably another pound or so there – or the pedals – 1/2 a pound plus to gain. So you could do 26-27lb.

Air suspension is a must I think. 1) They are lighter than most coils cater for. 2) They grow.

Remainder bins and spares boxes are your friends.

transporter13
    Free Member

Poah…..sorry but i disagree that you cant get a decent frame..
    i have a carrera detonate that my 8 year old rides…the only original part being the bare frame…once the crappy parts are taken off and replaced then its actually a very good little bike…also benefits from true 4bar linkage design.

moniex
    Free Member

Built this……

moniex
    Free Member

And this…..

The kona was lighter and you could actually pedal it ok, the norco was a bit of a beast, but great in morzine.

Simone

poah
    Free Member

I don’t consider the carrera detonate to be a decent frame and getting although you can pick one up for around £100 it needs serious upgrading of parts. you may as well spend the extra for a better bike in the first place.

igm
    deft73
    Free Member

Thanks guys, wish I could just buy one from one of the big names but it’s gonna be dad special that hopefully me and the lad can bring to life together. I like the idea of building up from a donor bike that’s got an half decent frame, the detonate doesn’t look too bad….. Any other suggestions for a full suss frame?

transporter13
    Free Member

Well i guess we will have to agree to disagree then….ive built my sons detonate for less than 200 quid.
    24″ detonate frame…replaced the shock for a fox rp2
    replaced the forks for some zocchi mz race
    1×9 acera groupset with a 12-36 cassette and 32t chainring and 150mm cranks
    easton ea50 seatpost
    superstar pedals
    raceface evolve bars and hussefelt stem
    novatec 711/712sb hubs on alex dm24 rims with schwalbe black jack tyres
    deore m615 brakes.

moniex
    Free Member

Picked up the kona 24 frame used on pinkbike. They do come up on eBay and pinkbike sometimes.

Norco was bought as a complete bike used for about £350, then everything but the frame was changed.

There is a commencal 24″ and a spesh grom hit on pinkbike at the moment……

Simone

igm

The Commie 24 looks very nice in the flesh – plenty in Les Gets last summer

transporter13
    Free Member

Simone…those konas are spot on….looking at your 2-4…I had to take a second look as i assumed it was a normal stinky…i recently picked up a 2007 coilair 15″ of ebay for my daughter.
    Very underestimated bikes imo

igm

The standard Giant Fox RP2 air shock that loads of people change fits the Stinky 2-4.

Picked one up for £50 at the lbs – bit of cable rub, but otherwise perfect.

crezzy

I’m crap at posting pics so instead I’ll give you spec for my sons bike
    Scott spark jnr
    Xt drive train
    Hope tech brakes 180/160
    Magura odur 80mm forks
    Atomlab 24″ wheels laced to deore hubs
    SRAM attack grip shift ( easier to change gear for ickle hands)
    Scott finishing kit
    All this equals one very happy 9 year old ,even nige page (crc team manager) commented how well tricked out it was when we bumped into him the other on our local trails

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘kids 24" full sus build – advice sought’ is closed to new replies.