• This topic has 51 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Kids 24" Bike Build (with pics)
  • lardman
    Free Member

…yeah, it’s a bit deceptive from the photo’s. He’s sat on it, and the reach is pretty good, not far off his last bike.
    Saddle is as lows as it will go, and is only just right. He can touch the ground with the balls of his feet, but not flat footed. I’m gonna look for another seatpost that will go down further, and will hold the saddle a little further forward.

I wanted a bike that he’ll use through the next 4-5 years. I’ll change out to 26″ wheels and longer stem, saddle back in a couple of years time.

ads678

Saddle is as lows as it will go

Cut a bit off the bottom and get it down a touch more?

jonathan
    Free Member

Yes, if you can get a short inline post (or cut one down) then that would be perfect as you can swap that slight layback post back in as he gets bigger. As long as the pedalling position is right I wouldn’t worry too much about getting it any lower – he’ll get used to is pretty quickly.

I’ve conditioned my kids to like a fairly aggressive position, so I’d slam that stem and find some flat bars, but you’ll work out what he’s comfortable with in a couple of rides

lardman
    Free Member

that layback post (just a spare i had) tapers near the posthead, so will not clamp securely if you lower it anymore. I’m just looking for a cheap/light inline post now to replace it. Save that one for when he’s stretched a little.

Seeing as he’s growing like a weed, that wont take long.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lovely builds on there. jr_bandito#1 has just outgrown his Islabike Beinn 20 (small) and I want to get him something that he can properly hoon on, but a lot of 24″ wheel bikes seem a bit too big for him, especially ones with suspension.

I know the RST fork is lighter than the Suntour that is usually specc’d, but what’s the smallest (and lightest) 24″-capable frame that’s available?

Also PSA: just noticed that Triton have 24″ Crest rims for £52

blakec
    Free Member

I went with a Commencal Ramones 24 frame then built it up from there. Spec listed below but my thoughts are when he gets big enough move the components up to a small 26 frame. He has had it for 3 months and his confidence and speed has dramatically changed from his previous frog 52.

Commencal Ramones 24 frame
    rockshox reba dual air 26 with 80mm of travel
    24 stans crest with xt hubs
    rocket ron tyres (soon to be tubeless)
    Thorn 104/64 PCD Triple Crankset MK2 155mm (from SJS cycles) set up with a single renthal 32t chainring
    xt m8000 groupset with 11-42 cassette
    Shimano Bottom Bracket BB-UN55 Square Taper 107mm 68 mm the narrowest BB i could find
    Shimano m395 brakes.
    620mm bars
    and the most important thing a flashing led strip that gives his speed on the side of his wheel so everyone can see how fast he is going.

Weight is shade under 10kg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DgYdxH]IMG_4500[/url]

lardman
    Free Member

@ridethelakes

Does that Fluid 4.2 take 26″ wheels? I know they do the Fluid 6. which does, but they dont seem to do the very low standover size in that range.

BillOddie

blakec – that looks ace! Do you happen to know how much it weighs?

blakec
    Free Member

BillOddie

its a shade under 10kg

jonathan
    Free Member

and the most important thing a flashing led strip that gives his speed on the side of his wheel so everyone can see how fast he is going.

What?! This sounds amazing! 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

My youngest just inherited his older brothers 24″ Carrera Luna (yes it’s a girls bike but has a low stand over, and it’s blue!). He had his first outing yesterday and loved it. t’s stock except from the monster padded and sprung seat i got him to make it comfortable. I showed him this thread just now and he thought ‘cool bikes dad’. Then i showed him the £250 SS child wheels and he said ‘what a rip off!’ He’s right on both counts.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Kids 24" Bike Build (with pics)’ is closed to new replies.