Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kiddie Friendly Bike Events in the Southern Half of the UK
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Any recommendations?

I've taken my son to the last two or three Mayhems and he's loved them, so we'd like to know what else could work as well please.
    It'll probably be just me and him so marathon type events are out as he's eight so I wouldn't like to leave him on his own for too long.

wwaswas

the Brighton Bigdog thingy last year would probably qualify – I assume he's spectating, not riding? I think a lap of that course would be a bit of a struggle for a youngster.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

cyclocross events? almost all have under 12 races with loads of riders. I started when I was 8 😀

cookeaa

Would DH be an option or are you one of "Those" Dads?

If so I can heartily recommed the atmosphere at UK bikepark Dh/4X Races (Near Blandford) for encouraging the Yoofs innit…

cookeaa

Actually if He's only 8 forget DH I think he's need to be 12 Min, there is of course a thriving BMX race scene along the M4 corridor…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I'm looking for events that'll give me a bit of XC action, camping and some 'have a go' activities for the boy.

vinnyeh

Bit far off, but if there's another Muddy Hell Halloween night CX at Herne Hill this year that would be well worth going to. Great family entertainment last year.

vinnyeh

Oh well, that's counted my suggestion out. Surprised nobody's mention the Big Bike Bash round 2 yet….

singletracksurfer

Big Bike Bash nr Southampton?

verses

The Mud, Sweat and Gears series in East Anglia is intending to have something for everyone.

Last year it was just Essex based but it's aiming to branch out further this year. The full details have yet to be announced though and the website still only shows last years info.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We put in a brief appearance at the Big Bike Bash last year. Shame we couldn't have stayed longer but it clashed with something else we'd been roped into. I hadn't heard yet that it was being run again. We'll certainly do that one again.

woody2000

I doubt you'll know if there's a BBB 2, they kept it pretty quiet last year.

😀

Olly
    Free Member

the mud and sweat bike orienteering challenge thingy looks good fun, and they have a fammily ticket entry.

http://www.mudandsweat.com/documents/Woodbury_event_details.pdf

Nr Exeter

shedfull
    Free Member

Gorrick races have a class for 8-9 year olds.

1968steve
    Free Member

Yep my boy raced the Mud, Sweat and Gears events he was only 7. He done a race early part of last year over at Black park, run by the West Drayton MBC and the year before he rode 2 races on the Southern XC circuit. We are essex based and are always looking for events..

joolzed
    Free Member

BRitish mountain bike series:
    xc racing on saturday's so you could do one of those. Free kids races in the evening. Plus 8 of the uks biggest bike brands on hand all weekend doing demos. If you did margam, there's leisure rides as well on the sat and the challenge series on Sunday you have a choice of doing 30k loop once or twice.
    Round 2 at Porridgepot Surrey way has a 1, 2 or 4 hr enduro on the Sunday.
    We get loads of famies coming to these rounds.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've just spoken to the Big Bike Bash organisers and it is definitely on, on the 21st/22nd August this year, so I'll be signing up for that one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kiddie Friendly Bike Events in the Southern Half of the UK’ is closed to new replies.