Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • kid friendly and accessible 'wild' camping near Edinburgh…
  • fatmax

My good lady is out next Saturday night, and I’ve got the two kids, age 2 and 4. Fingers crossed for more decent weather…
    I want to take them for a wee adventure and wild camp. But ideally it needs to be accessible from the car or a really short walk.
    Are there any nice little spots in the Pentlands, Dalmeny Estate, somewhere along the coast etc.
    What are others experiences for taking the little ones camping – start with a night in the garden, or on a quiet campsite? My hunch is to go for more of a fun jaunt…
    FTM

druidh
    Free Member

There are a couple of spots which used to be recommended by the PHRP Rangers:

Bonaly. Park at the top car park, go through the gate and across the wee stream. Turn immediately left (the bottom of the track known as “One Tree Hill”. Running water handy, but can be busy with yoofs.

Hillend. Park at the ski slope car park, then take the path which climbs slightly and then traverses the hillside to Boghall. There is a wee quarry on the right of the path. No water handy, but a great view over the town.

Also worth considering; Pistachio woods (Top of Currie Kirk Brae) – carry straight on up the rough track. The best spot is just before the woods end.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pentlands is certainly possible. People camp up there all the time. Accessable spots might have folk on them already. A few sopis just above bonally tower / by puke hill

Dalmeny estate will be more problematic – I wouldn’t be suprised if they try to throw you off. Quite a walk as well.

Lammermuirs? Less chance of neds Must be somewhere of the back / high road to longformacus. I’ll have a ponder.

fatmax

Thanks gents much appreciated, will give it some thought.
    Got a pal that has suggested the Lammermuirs, but was looking for somewhere a bit closer to home (Cramond).

Garry_Lager

See a few people camping off that quiet road to innerleithen that goes through the hills – innerleithen end. Loads of spots closer, obviously, but if you fancied a wee drive.

druidh
    Free Member

Meldons (right at Eddleston on the way to Peebles) is another but both that and the Innerliethen spot suffer from being too close to the road, so are busy, noisy, littered and covered in shite.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Dalmeny estate will be more problematic – I wouldn’t be suprised if they try to throw you off. Quite a walk as well.<

Come in from SQ (I reckon you can park @ Long Craig Pier.) Then about 1 mile dead flat walk to Hound Point where there are lots of good places in the sand dunes to pitch. You’ll have tha allure of the Beach on your doorstep and plenty of driftwood to build a campfire. It’s off pitch for Dalmeny Estate so they wont bother you.

gecko76

Might be a bit cheeky but woodland to the East of the road at Carlops is a good bet. Bivied there last year with no trouble.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cramond Island? Guaranteed to have it to yourself too, once the tide comes in 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yellowcraigs great beach out by gullane or seacliffe out by tantallon castle might be decent options for you.

poly
    Free Member

Cramond Island? Guaranteed to have it to yourself too, once the tide comes in

Unfortunately you might not be, it attracts a certain lager/buckfast/cider drinking type with loud music etc. who “camp out” there overnight undisturbed by the authorities. If they turn up then might not be the best introduction to camping for kids!

AlasdairMc

What is the consensus on camping on the uncut edge of a field that already has bushes and trees on it? If so, I saw a nice spot just outside St Boswells today.

Failing that, there are plenty of spots in the Pentlands that would be perfect. There’s a pitch on Harlaw reservoir, tale a left at the visitor’s centre and follow the shoreline

fatmax

AlasdairMc – thanks for the Harlaw tip, that might be the one. Easy access from the car and I’m sure I can find a sheltered spot.
    Bonaly, Hillend, Hound Point, Lammermuirs, and the Granites route – i’ll all save for later trips. Many thanks one and all.
    FTM

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘kid friendly and accessible 'wild' camping near Edinburgh…’ is closed to new replies.