Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Kickstarter – the reality.
  • jam-bo

anyone else waiting on some massively overdue kickstarter pledges…

tthew

Not bothered with it recently. I have often wondered though, what’s to prevent anyone from setting up an ace looking project on there, (shouldn’t be too hard given a little imagination) with a sensible target and then just buggering off with the cash?

edit – I didn’t know you could get refunds. Still, plenty of projects on there with intangible deliverables, (films etc.) that might get backed and never finished.

dknwhy

I waited ages for dynamo lights from Germany (forget the company now). Got fed up in the end and got a refund.

fasthaggis

It’s not all bad

Sometimes things work out

DezB
    Free Member

Signed up for 2 (1 being SeeSense lights) and both worked out marvellously.

badnewz
    Free Member

Never received my gift item. Definitely open to scams.

jam-bo

A couple i’ve backed have worked out but currently hanging on two that are massively behind. (LaMetric smart displays and mac-ride bike seat)

andyl
    Free Member

Got a Leap – was disappointed, they did offer refunds but couldnt be bothered as I hoped the software would improve.

Given up waiting for one that is massively overdue. They have also significantly changed the spec. Quite a lot of angry people requesting money back and I have bought something else to do the job.

Another, much more expensive one, is currently a bit behind schedule but I am hopeful it will appear.

A friend recently wanted to splurge $700 on a mobile phone, I asked him if he could afford to lose the $700 if it fell through.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I thought when Pebble went back to Kickstarter for their new watch was taking the mick somewhat – it was almost like wanting the free advertising rather than needing the money.

Don’ think I’d ever take a punt with electronics on there. Maybe a nice pen possibly…

brant
    Free Member

I thought when Pebble went back to Kickstarter for their new watch was taking the mick somewhat – it was almost like wanting the free advertising rather than needing the money.

There’s clearly an awful lot of that goes on. I can’t imagine Crispin Sinclair was actually short of the £50,000 to get this to production. I figure he would have it tucked away somewhere. But it didn’t get funded. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/babel-bike-the-world-s-safest-bicycle#/story

footflaps

I backed 3 or 4, only one failed and that was the most expensive.

Triggertrap Has ‘Failed’ After Raising Nearly $500K for the Ada Modular Camera Trigger

Xylene
    Free Member

Got my Z:ero headphones last week.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I backed the Kreyos Smartwatch on indigogo, it was meant to be an activity biased smartwatch with voice and gesture control, great specs and functionality on paper. There were lots of delays but promises that the product would be worth waiting for. Eventually received what could best be described as a badly out together digital watch that was anything but smart.

Sold it on for the cost of postage, about £1 i think.

I’ve not backed in anything since.

Xylene
    Free Member

http://www.zorloo.com/#!zbudd/c1yf2

This is what I backed, very impressed with them.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Still waiting for a jyrobike wheel.
    Hopefully it will arrive before my nephew gets too big to use it.

DaveRambo

I’ve backed loads and very few deliver on time.

I don’t mind. You can’t just go out and buy things from Kickstarter so you can’t get them any other way.
    The longest delays tend to be where they are having something manufactured for the first time and they over estimate how long things take, mistakes that will be made etc.

So far none of the 52 I’ve backed (didn’t realise it was so many) have failed to deliver at all, but a few have been a year or more late.

Such is life.

vinnyeh

Everything I’ve backed has come through, one massively overdue I’m still waiting on, but it’s rumoured to be on the boat from Taiwan. 🙂
    Not really bothered though, always go into these things with my eyes open.

Am I the only one wondering whether people are starting to use kickstarter in lieu of market research- that rather than using the money to get a project to market, Kickstarter is being used to presell a product, often from an existing company.

ratherbeintobago

Everything I’ve backed has come through, one massively overdue I’m still waiting on, but it’s rumoured to be on the boat from Taiwan.

What’s that, then?

Have backed a couple of things (eg. Cranked); have a slightly bigger thing recently and hope it comes off…

footflaps

I just backed this genius invention:

DaveRambo

Am I the only one wondering whether people are starting to use kickstarter in lieu of market research- that rather than using the money to get a project to market, Kickstarter is being used to presell a product, often from an existing company.

I think this is fine though. It’s a form of market research which is far more accurate with people committing money rather than saying they would buy something. The company then know there is a market and they will make a profit. They still have to do all the same background work to set the project up and make it back-able.

Seems like an appropriate thing to do IMO but I rend to not back ones like this unless I can get an early bird and really want it.

Kit
    Free Member

No else here backed Exploding Kittens then? 😀 I’m waiting on my cards, but so far they’re not actually overdue.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

No else here backed Exploding Kittens then? I’m waiting on my cards, but so far they’re not actually overdue.

I did. I bet we get caught customs.

AdamW
    Free Member

I have pledged on three:
    “All American Boy” album by Steve Grand – arrived
    “Crabby Wallet” (for biking) – arrived
    “Fetishman Compendium” by Doctor Geof – awaiting printing.

So far so good.

EDIT: actually four, “Northern Landscape” calendars by Mat Robinson – arrived.

riddoch

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/06/crowdfunding-project-creator-settles-ftc-charges-deception
    There are routes for redress if fraud is involved, incompetence or bad luck not so much.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m waiting still on Flare Rider Co. gear. I think it’s actually happening, they’re just pretty dire about updates.

Spur Cycle perhaps sent me too many updates – maybe 15 too many.

Ultimately though, it’s taking a punt on something. It’s a bit like sponsoring someone to do a marathon – you don’t really care whether they actually do it or not.

I spent quite a lot on Christy Mack‘s medical bills after War Machine beat her up. That wasn’t kickstarter, it was GiveForward. Similar sort of platform, but assuming you didn’t want anything in return, just to give money for something worthwhile.

nach
    Free Member

As Big Dummy says, it’s taking a punt. I don’t back stuff at a level where I’d be unhappy to never see the money again; for me it’s more that I believe in what they’re trying to do and getting a thing from it would be a nice bonus.

what’s to prevent anyone from setting up an ace looking project on there, (shouldn’t be too hard given a little imagination) with a sensible target and then just buggering off with the cash?

At one time, there was no protection from this. There was a comic author who had a breakdown after his backers pressured him, so he had the books printed, put them in a pile, burned them and posted the video on kickstarter. Indiegogo has had a few blatant scams too, such as a holographic projector shown projecting black, and a mobile wifi thing you “charge up” with bandwidth from your home internet connection.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve done two (Pebble Time and Roll for the Soul in Bristol) and both worked out. As above, you’re taking a punt so consider carefully the risk of losing your money.

slowoldman

I thought the Spur Cycles communications were pretty good. At least there was a sense of progress being made. It’s the only time I’ve used Kickstarter and they did already have a track record with a previous product.

slowoldman

I thought the Spur Cycles communications were pretty good. At least there was a sense of progress being made. It’s the only time I’ve used Kickstarter and they did already have a track record with a previous product.

nemesis
    Free Member

The comms are tricky I reckon. Pebble sent out more than I’d have liked but I can imagine that those who want more updates are more vocal than those who want fewer. It’s easier to ignore updates than be left wondering what’s going on so good practice is probably to over rather than under communicate.

mogrim

No else here backed Exploding Kittens then? I’m waiting on my cards, but so far they’re not actually overdue.

Me too, but as you say they’re not late yet.

DaveRambo

ditto.

I also backed a bike related card game – Geared. Was a bit late but even MrsR likes it so all is well with the world.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I’m waiting still on Flare Rider Co. gear. I think it’s actually happening, they’re just pretty dire about updates.

I’ve got mine.

Might be worth an email reminder? Hannah and Ben are on holiday at the moment though.

ratherbeintobago

Oddly, a project I’m currently backing seems to have gone down in percentage backed since yesterday…

konabunny
    Free Member

I just backed this genius invention:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glowbowl/glowbowl-motion-activated-night-light-for-your-toi
    It’s a matter of opinion, of course, but that to me is the kind of disposable wasteful tat that should be made illegal, not funded.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Kickstarter – the reality.’ is closed to new replies.