Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Keyhole Meniscal tidy up – recovery?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m going in soon to get this done – Arthroscopic Meniscectomy (sp!) – And as it’s being done on private healthcare, I can pretty much choose when I go.

If anyone has had this, any idea how long you were off the bike for? I will ask the consultant when I next speak to him obviously, as I forgot to ask yesterday, but looking for a rough idea as I have a couple of Enduro’s booked and would like to do them if at all possible.

Cheers.

maddyutah

Mines was 6 weeks before I was back biking but depends what they find when they have a nose and how you recover.slow and steady and don’t overload your knee ,diclofec helped,my knee niggles now and again but doesn’t lock which was a right Royal pita
    No regrets about getting it done
    Good luck with yours

Rorschach
    Free Member

I did the 3 peaks cx 5 weeks after mine…….then once my surgeon stopped shouting at me had another about 3 months later 😳

Rockape63
    Free Member

You can probably cycle on it after a couple of weeks, starting slowly and building up. Ive had a couple and its easy to think you can do stuff after a couple of days, but don’t! Take the first week very carefully and do nothing for three days except lie around with your leg up.

iainc

Nobeer – I had 3, all at RossHall by Gordon Mackay. Was around 10 years ago. I was off bike for about 4 weeks then back on road bike. I didn’t want to risk landing on knees in a fall so stayed off MTB for about 8 weeks. Mackay is good and does the Old Firm footie players 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Watching with interest. I would have said it depends on the scale of the work.

hora
    Free Member

I’m guessing mine needs this. How painful is it? How long did you have yours etc? I can send my leg up doing the leg on floor test. It hurts to the right of the patella on the insidwinside, if I sir for a while it feels stiff and freafter after while. I can knrel abit now and I can ride (descending is harder than climbing). It’s gradually betting better though. A tiny bit each day and ice really helps.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Been going on for 6 months Hora, had been groany for a while but did it some proper damage playing tennis in January. My symptoms are – a general feeling of instability, locking, can’t bend knee past 90 degrees without real pain, clunking and clicking when foot twisting, same stiffness after sitting in one position for a while. Kneeling is way too painful.

I don’t get any pain on the road bike, FSer can aggravate it though (due to knee bending further whilst suspension compresses I suspect) but I find road biking as boring as ****

Iain, it’ll be at carrick glen, not ross hall as it’s easier for me to get home from.

I think I’ll delay it til after a couple of enduros I’ve entered, so probably November, keep recovery time for shit weather…

Gary_M
    Free Member

As per Iain I had mine done in September last year at RossHall by Gordon Mackay. Also had an incision on the front of my knee to remove a bursa.

Had the op on the last day of September, walked out hospital fine if a bit tricky getting down stairs. Had the stitches out before I went on holiday on 8th October. Was walking fine but knee was tight due to the incision.

Back on the bike on 25th October for short spin under 10 miles, rode the next 3 days gradually increasing the distance. Back to normal and rode 478 miles in November 🙂

No issues with my knee at all, I still find kneeling on it a bit odd, but no pain. The rest of me is **** now though 🙂

How painful is it? How long did you have yours etc?

To be honest I didn’t have much pain. I had a golf ball sized fluidy lump on the front of my that I went to see the doc for investigation, he drained it, it filled back up that night, had an MRI which confirmed the tear.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Mine went well and I did the physio and was back on the bike after 2 weeks doing gentle rides, I had mine done privately and arranged it to avoid the worst of the mud so as to keep the load/strain down. I guess I was back up to full effort after ~6 weeks. HTH

Edric64
    Free Member

Had mine done last May .jogged on it after about 6 weeks but took about 4 months to feel ok .It now feels broken again though and I fear another op.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had one done December 21st 2013. Did 2.5 road miles 11th January 2014 it hurt and wasn’t the best idea. Didn’t bother again till mid March that year.

Had 8 weeksoff work, but work on a Orthopaedic ward so wasn’t allowed back till occy health said I was safe.
    Wasn’t painful just ached Like a burning sensation. The incisions oooozed for 4 weeks. Woollen crepe bandage came off after 5 days.

Just under three years later it feels fine other one needs doing though I think keeps locking, crunching and giving way especially on stairs.

hora
    Free Member

Doing slutdrops picking up a dropped allen key set is hard isn’t it 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

Took me about two weeks before I was back on the bike (turbo with zero resistance) which was the time I was able to bend the knee enough to make a full pedal revolution. My surgeon recommended bike riding as part of the rehabilitation. He also said that some patients are able to walk straight after they wake up form the op it really depends on how well supplied with blood your knee is.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I’m booked for this Friday, will let you know how it goes!

sammaratti
    Free Member

I had mine done almost 4 years ago and still can’t run properly on it but biking is fine.

However I had two operations as the first one they screwed up, admitted and put me through Nuffield free of charge for the second one.

Mine was a little bit more serious as I hyper extended the knee and damaged bone and cartilage.

Occasionally pops out and hurts like hell when it goes back in, the anticipation of it popping back in is just as bad as the pain.

If I’ve done too much on it I get a fluid build up which can be uncomfortable.

My advice if wanted would be, make sure you 100% need it as your knees are very sensitive and don’t like being fettled with

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thread resurrection time!

Going in this afternoon for the op, consultant says I’ll be back on the bike in 7-10 days, here’s hoping.

oldtalent – how did yours go fella?

ton

i was back on the bike after 2 weeks, very gentle soft peddaling tho. and back to normal riding after a month.

it has cheered me up knowing that some other poor sod it gonna be laid up for a while……enjoy the boredom buddy…. 😆

oldtalent
    Free Member

Mine wasnt the meniscus after all, despite what the mri revealed & physio thought.
    The acl was twanged, so they tidied that up & the medial femoral condyle was damaged, so again a quick tidy.
    Was fine for 2 days, then it started hurting. Off work for 2 weeks, although I could have got away with 1. Riding to work on my ebike & back at the gym this week.
    I will stay off the DH bike for another 4 weeks though whilst I build up the muscle. The right leg has lost about 75% of strength compared to the left.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Going in this afternoon for the op, consultant says I’ll be back on the bike in 7-10 days, here’s hoping.

Good luck, my op was the first time under general anesthetic and it was a weird feeling waking up in recovery with the time it took to do the op just lost – you will say ‘is that it done’ 🙂

7-10 days is a bit hopeful for being back on the bike, I’d imagine the physio would be a bit more cautious about that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had general before for a shoulder op, really didn’t enjoy the feeling after coming round Gary. Anaesthetist is for giving me an anti-emetic this time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went really well, knee feels better already, walked out with only some sutures and a tubigrip, no pain whatsoever, it actually feels better than it did yesterday!.

It’ll be hard keeping off the bike this week, with the knee feeling this good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah that’s good to hear. Stay off the bike though, and when you do get back on it take it easy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’ll be some gentle pooling with the wee yin along Prestwick prom. General anaesthetic was spot on this time Gary, no nausea, happy days.

iainc

You don’t want to fall on it for a few months….believe me 😯

Gary_M
    Free Member

I still don’t like kneeling on it, wouldn’t be happy landing on it!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Like I said, mine felt great for the first two days after the op .. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but mine was the meniscus, not ACL old talent!.

billyboy
    Free Member

I went in for the check up a week after the op and the doctor told me to get back on a bike as soon as I could. I could not physically mount an ordinary bike but I managed on a Brompton- just had to find some flat routes and go gently!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Keyhole Meniscal tidy up – recovery?’ is closed to new replies.