Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Key won't turn in ignition ( 1995 RAV4 )
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Yup so I am one of those people whose bike is worth more than his car!
    Owned this ’95 RAV4 for many years and its been faultless.
    Until yesterday. Put key in ignition with a bit of a struggle and the key won’t turn.
    It does turn a bit to be honest to the ACC position and unlocks steering wheel but no further.
    Any advice where I go from here is welcomed.
    I can build bikes and do my own maintenance but when it comes to cars I’m an idiot.
    Would like to do it as cheap as possible as I’m not loaded ( as you can tell I’m still driving a ’95 model! )

PS I have lost the spare keys over the years and only have one key left.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Can you take the barrel off? Turn the car on manually? New barrel time.

Check the barrel doesn’t have broken key bits inside.

Get the AA to have a look then do the work yourself?

Each of my bikes are worth more than my car, enjoy your bikes!

Stick some GT85/WD40 down there. Edit: Cranbury beat me to it.

stumpy01

Sounds like a knackered ignition barrel.

I had the same thing in a ’94 plate Fiesta. Comically, you had to get the key to position II to remove the barrel for some reason, so there was some head scratching as to how to actually remove the barrel at the Ford garage as the key wouldn’t turn that far 😆

Hopefully yours won’t be such a problem.

cranberry
    Free Member

A squirt of GT85 or WD40 in the barrel would be the starting point for me – could just be the pins of the lock not moving properly.

Remember to give a bit of a thump as well.

globalti
    Free Member

Once you’ve got the plastic shroud off it shouldn’t be too difficult to fit a new barrel.

Cougar

Does it work in the doors?

A squirt of GT85 or WD40 in the barrel would be the starting point for me

I wouldn’t put anything wet near a lock barrel. Powdered graphite is what you want if you’re going down that route.

piesoup
    Free Member

I have a ’98 Rav and the key only works one way. Sounds silly, but have you turned it the other way round and tried?

allthegear
    Free Member

but when it comes to cars I’m an idiot

are you *absolutely* sure it’s your car??

Rachel 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^^ ha ha years ago my mate couldn’t get his key to work in door lock so we broke in, then key wouldn’t work in ignition, then we realised not his car 😳

OP yes as above almost certainly mechanical issue, the wife’s car is showing similar signs – switch key around jiggle steering/key a little etc. New barrel should not be too expensive (and you’ll have more keys) and car predates all the fancy anti-theft electronics in keys – you may have an issue with remote locking etc.

Clobber
    Free Member

Is it automatic?

sputnik
    Free Member

Haha Rachel yes it is my car!!
    Key works in door locks
    Tried graphite powder
    It is a manual

ThePilot
    Free Member

The sheriff’s department would be my first port of call.
    But then I’ve just finished watching making a murderer.

xico
    Free Member

Occasionally have this problem in a recent Ford, which I put down to a sticking tumbler pins in the lock. Put the key in the ignition and give it a sharp tap on the end with the heel of your hand, works for me every time

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Had this with a 97 Almera. Had to get a s/h complete barrel assembly and then recode the key to the car. Was a total PITA. Managed to avoid need for a new key – which would have been about £150…

unovolo
    Free Member

If all else fails you can always try a car thiefs universal key available from all good hardware stores

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP and @piesoup as an aside how miles on the clock ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Key won't turn in ignition ( 1995 RAV4 )’ is closed to new replies.