Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kettlebell training, what starting weight?
  • weeksy

I’m thinking of something so I can train my legs less and upper body more, mostly to give the legs some rest.

But what sort of weight to buy?

djflexure

Get a really big one then when you decide they are naff at least you can chain your bikes to it – like I did 😀

finbar
    Free Member

12kg was plenty for me, but I’m sure there’ll be some hardmen along to tell you to start with 16 or 20.

MrPottatoHead

I got a 16kg. I can do a lot of the moves with it but finding it too heavy as a starting weight for some. My advice would be to do some classes and see which one suits you best, or get a couple if you have the cash to spare.

jimjam
    Free Member

Depends how much of a beast you are. A lot of kettlebell moves only need one weight, some are better with two. A good setup would probably two light/mid weight ones and one heavier weight for two handed swings.

It’s probably better to start with a slightly lighter weight and learn good form than just go and buy the biggest one you can. If possible go to a shop and try some, shoulder press and Turkish get up will probably be the two most difficult moves but you might look like a twonk trying a Turkish getup so try shoulder pressing the weights to see how you get on.
    That should give you a good reference point.

funkmasterp

I’d start very light to ensure you practice correct form. No point going big and doing yourself a mischief.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

You really need a selection. 8, 12, 16 and 20. Means you can keep good form for the different exercises on different muscles rather than trying to lump one weight around.

wrecker
    Free Member

12kg for an average man.

prawny

I got a 12 when aldi are doing them for just over a tenner, the Mrs got an 8 and we’d got a 6 given to us years ago.

A 16 would be better for me for 2 handed swings but 12 is more sensible for everything else upper body wise. especially for weedy cyclists 😆

geologist
    Free Member

I’m an instructor and I’ve found that for an average guy 12kg is the best starting weight. For ‘older adults’ or those with ‘issues’ I would start with a 6 and adjust as necessary. Don’t make it too light, remember it’s a resistance based workout.

weeksy

Thanks all. I’ll go with a 12.

docgeoffyjones

from enter the kettlebell

12 or 16kgs is probably a good starting point

footflaps

I started with 2x12kg, then worked up 2×16, 2×20, 2×24.

Then lost interest. Have about 12 of the things in the workshop gathering dust….

They do make good door stops though!

Coyote
    Free Member

I’d start very light to ensure you practice correct form. No point going big and doing yourself a mischief.

This. Not only for kettlebells but for all weights. See so many folk as the gym struggling with big weights rather than concentrating on the correct form for the exercise.

paton
    Free Member

What he said

zilog6128

Then lost interest. Have about 12 of the things in the workshop gathering dust….

They do make good door stops though!I use mine on the bottom of some IKEA shelving units to lower the COG as I couldn’t be bothered to screw them to the wall 🙂

They are fun though, and provide a lot of variety if you learn all the different exercises, but I prefer barbells.

Not sure about using bells to rest your legs though, as the best exercises seem to be legs or full body (like all the best strength exercises, really)

theotherjonv

Not sure about using bells to rest your legs though, as the best exercises seem to be legs or full body (like all the best strength exercises, really)

Agree; I have one at home that i used for a few months, and the first few times I used it I really felt it in the legs as much as anywhere (particularly in the adductors)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebell training, what starting weight?’ is closed to new replies.