Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • kettlebell sizes
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I want to get a kettlebell for myslef and one for Mrs OK to start doing some workouts. I would guess it will be mostly swings and attempts at the Turkish GetUp. I am a fairly big build (6’3″ and 95kg) and my wife is fairly small but muscular.

What sizes should I get? I was thinking about a 16kg for her and a 24kg for me, but perhaps I should start with a 20kg as I am not aiming to bulk up, but improve core strength and get toned. I assume Mrs OJ is after the same thing.

Anye advice or experience would be appreciated.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

10kg and 16kg to start with.

oddjob
    Free Member

The 4 hour body suggests 20kg or 24kg for men and 16kg or 20kg for women. Did seem a lot, hence asking 🙂

Are you doing high numbers of reps with those sorts of weights? How quickly do you need to move up to the next weight. I ask becuase I will save something on shipping if I buy 3 together now rather than 2 now and one later…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

75 swings with a 16kg… could do with a larger weight but the gym doesn’t have one.

If you can complete a set of 20 in one go with a 16kg then you’re pretty fit.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ok… I didn’t read the shipping bit…

Get a 20kg as well.

I’d love to see a lady doing get-ups with the weights suggested! Have you tried doing them at all yet? With a normal weight? They’re not that easy!

I shoulder press and bench press way more with dumb bells than I’d fancy using for get-ups.

oddjob
    Free Member

If I’m going to struggle with a 16kg, will my 1.62m, 54kg wife manage the 10 or should that be smaller for her?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry I’m editing my posts like crazy…

You might want to think about a lower weight for her too…

The more you’ve got the more exercises you can both do.

What sort of weight can she lift at the moment? Does she do ‘proper’ push ups?

oddjob
    Free Member

She doesn’t really do weights as such other than carrying 2 kids around! but somehow she manages to walk with one on each are and they are 20kg and 14kg!

I think I’ll see if I can get a deal on a set of 8, 12, 16, 20 or something like that. (maybe a 24kg as well)

oddjob
    Free Member

Went for an 8 and a 16kg if anyone is interested but I’m not going to try them until after I get home from the marmotte in vase I do myself a mischief

iDave
    Free Member

8 and 16 sounds ideal – the swings will help your cycling too…

75 swings with 20kg is ‘interesting’

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought 12kg at first. Swings were nothing much, get-ups were a bit tricky at first but I was soon able to do them like nothing. So I got 24kg.

I can do basically one get up with it, and it’s a fairly comic affair with me staggering around dangerously. And I consider myself fairly strong especially after ‘working out’ with my 20kg toddler most days.

I can do 50 swings with it though, it’s a good weight for that.

24kg is really bloody heavy!

iDave
    Free Member

better to do a few get ups in good style with 12kg than one wonky one with 24

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I am doing both. The first part is what I have problems with so I am working up to it… should’ve gone for 20, but I like swinging with 24 it feels great.

Can’t really buy a whole set as I’d like as they are expensive here and I have to bring them back to the UK…

desboy3
    Free Member

I’d stick with the 24 for yourself and get a 16 and a 12 as well. 16 for your get ups and start the Mrs on the 12. I’m thereabout on the height and maybe 7 kgs heavier than you and swing throughs aren’t too bad at that weight. Did a challenge in the gym and did sets of 25 with a 1 min break for a total of 30mins managing a total of about 450. Great for overall strength and ramped up my fitness. Kettlebells rule!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Sweet, so the fact that i can do 3 x 15 sets of get ups with 24kg is pretty good then.

derp
    Free Member

Sweet, so the fact that i can do 3 x 15 sets of get ups with 24kg is pretty good then.

Either that or you’re doing it wrong.

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m still not touching them until after the Marmotte, I suspect there will be some stiff legs for a couple of days after the first session

mau00149
    Free Member

had my first beginner kettlebell session last friday after my mate was telling me about how good it was for fitness. Was at the local sports centre where they just started it as a new class so was more about the different techniques than weight. Can say it feels like a great work out, was pretty sore for a good few days after it.

Going again tomorrow, hopefully second time won’t be as painfull lol

Will probably get my own for some extra training at home once i have had some practice with the ones at the sports centre and see what weight suits best.

Any good websites for kettlebell tips?

derp
    Free Member

Just for the record. A lot of kettlebell exercises can be done with regular dumbells, if you have some already. Plus are cheaper and adjustable.

Any good websites for kettlebell tips?

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/kettlebell_articles/

….and just hit youtube up. Tons of vids on there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘kettlebell sizes’ is closed to new replies.