Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kettlebell session tomorrow – will I die and what do I need to know?
  • geoffj

First one ever – and I’m a biffer.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated. Is it OK to wear gloves?

sharkattack

Mind if I listen in? Also interested in the art of kettlebelling but, as with most things exercise oriented, a quick google leaves me baffled and bombarded with conflicting info and opinions.

I’ve never been to a gym or lifted weights before so have no idea where to start. I’m only interested because I want to rebuild the strength in my left arm after I snapped it off. Six months later I’m back to full movement but have very little strength. I can’t even manage a push or pull up. It’s a weird feeling, like there’s nothing there.

root
    Free Member

Not done it myself but my mrs does it once a week and she usually feels it for a couple of days afterwards 😀

edit: I could ask her if you have any questions I suppose?

arrpee
    Free Member

You’ll be fine; it’s good fun and effective. Don’t go too heavy to start with. Presumably you’ll be under instruction anyway?

Cleans are probably the most difficult basic move to get right. Plenty of instructional stuff on youtube.

As for gloves, I wouldn’t myself. Never found kettlebells tough on the hands; I think gloves would just annoy me.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s fine, nothing to worry about. Follow the instructions 🙂

To be honest if you are a biffer you might do ok – you are probably fairly strong.

Kryton57

Technique is key so listen carefull. Gloves not good – you need to be able to feel your strength/grip levels and DO NOT want to let go of a a KB mid exercise.

geoffj

Cheers guys – I’ll ditch the gloves.
    Off to youtube for some inspiration 😀

zilog6128

Definitely no gloves. Chalk if you really must, but you will probably have to be swinging some mahoosive kettlebells if you need it!

djflexure

You will die.
    On a semi serious note I do wonder about the effect of all those swinging exercises with weights on your spine. Not convinced that its actually good for you.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

There’s some interesting stuff here

http://www.functionalpatterns.com/

allthepies
    Free Member

If you’re new to any new type of weights exercise then start low (weight) for a few sessions before starting to step up gradually. Otherwise pulled muscles can await 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Technique, as has been said, is key.

Don’t go heavy either to start with or you’ll more than likely injure yourself – due to poor technique..

Otherwise enjoy!

geoffj

Well I didn’t die – it was OK actually. It would be even better if I had any ability to balance on one leg – let alone do 2 things at once!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebell session tomorrow – will I die and what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.